Signed by Cowboys Amari Cooper traded to Cowboys **merged**

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
This simply shows Jerry's ineptitude. Same story after all these years.

Desperate beyond belief, and inept to the core.

Same story after 20+ years.

Hasn't learned his lesson.

Maybe I'm being a tad bit of a homer here, but, as I just said to another poster. I shall play Jerry's Advocate here. To me, this doesn't ring of the same tune as Roy Williams. With Roy, we gave up a first, third, and sixth, and got back a seventh as well. That one, I don't recall there being much logic behind, but then I was a freshman in high school at the time. This one, I can definitely at least see the logic behind, and it's only 1 pick. A first rounder, no doubt, but I can see the logic behind it.

Staubacher

Reaction score
This simply shows Jerry's ineptitude. Same story after all these years.

Desperate beyond belief, and inept to the core.

Same story after 20+ years.

Hasn't learned his lesson.
Somehow Jerrah looked at the joke of this season, his moron HC, his limited QB and decided that mortgaging the future for a WR was the play

85Cowboy85

Reaction score
To me Dak is a separate issue. I'd oppose the trade even if we had Peyton Manning in his prime.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
We would have drafted a receiver at 9 overall. Why would you want to take a chance on a college kid instead of having a proven NFL #1? High price to pay but isn't senseless

680 yards last season
280 yards this season

Those stats don't look like "a proven #1" to me...………..and if you say they are, then why did we get rid of Dez?

838 yards last season...……...Dez Bryant

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
We aren't winning anything this year even if we do take the division.

We are just not good enough and now have huge holes to address on the O-Line in the offseason as well with TFred out and Tyron injured. We could not afford to do what happened today. I can't believe this happened.

No more than a 3rd for WR, which is about where we could afford to draft a WR next spring.

We have to think hard about QB- now that's out the window. Now we don't even have the leverage to land a top player out of school at ANY position. This is absolutely horrible news.

I do agree with you about us going beyond maybe the wild card round of the playoffs. I certainly wouldn't have given up a 1st if I had the controls for that reason. However, I can at least see Jerry's logic. When I go ballistic about the moves of the team, it's usually because there's hardly any logic behind them. Now, I think it's possible that they are overlooking TF and Tyron's issues. However, I wonder if they think that they can find a centre in round 3. That is where TF was billed, and perhaps that's their logic on that one. As for QB, I'm not too fussed about the QBs this year, and apparently the FO isn't either.

Big_D

Reaction score
Somehow Jerrah looked at the joke of this season, his moron HC, his limited QB and decided that mortgaging the future for a WR was the play

That's how Jerry fixes any issues. Just trades for a WR.. Problem solved.

Chrispierce

Reaction score
What's stupid is the fact they thought they could salvage this season. They could have used the first to draft a WR and sign an FA besides that as well. I'm hoping this works out but I don't think our problem is at WR. But again, I could be wrong.
They are kidding themselves if they think this team is going anywhere but The Toilet Bowl. I’m just flabbergasted right now. The o-line sucks,our QB stands there staring at open WRs to take a turnover for a TD,and they just threw away my future LT pick for this???
This will be that 30 for 30 segment in 20yrs....”The Cooper Trade: a tale of 2 franchises in opposite directions.” Gruden pulled a Jimmy Johnson. He’s tanking and stock piling 5 first rounders.

RamziD

Reaction score
I think the front office nailed it. We need a WR who we wasted a high pick on to force the ball to because that’s worked great for us in the past. Great analysis of the team’s needs.

mmohican29

Reaction score
4-12 is an estimate of what a panicky jerry jones thought this team was going before this move. I myself would say something close to 7-9.

Before the Cooper trade, I had us finishing 7-9 or 8-8 or so. The D is tough enough to split games, all of our games are close no matter the opponent.

After the Cooper trade, I have us finishing 7-9 or 8-8 or so. The D is tough enough to split games, all of our games are close no matter the opponent.

Now i have us in 2019 7-9 or 8-8 or so. The D is tough enough to split games, all of our games are close no matter the opponent.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
You've given the WR's on this team an out for poor play.

"Hey man, no worries. With Amari here, Dak's gotta produce it's on him. If we stink we have a fall guy- #4"

Hmm, I don't see it quite that way. I still expect the WRs to produce. With Amari here, I think that the other chaps should be open such as Beasley. Good things happen when he's open, and smart defences know to cover him, especially when we get near the red zone. With Amari here, I think that puts a bit more of a burden on defences, and should open up Gallup for more room. So, from that standpoint, I think Amari opens our spots a bit more. I think it was a bit much to expect a 3rd round rookie to have to be open a lot, and Hurns has been abysmal. So, Amari makes sense for that reason. I think Dak has his share of blame too, but now he should have better options. Gallup looks like he's coming around now. If we can turn Beasley loose a bit more, then I think our offence can get back to where we want it, especially with our defence. Now, how far it takes us is a different story.

mmohican29

Reaction score
Hmm, I don't see it quite that way. I still expect the WRs to produce. With Amari here, I think that the other chaps should be open such as Beasley. Good things happen when he's open, and smart defences know to cover him, especially when we get near the red zone. With Amari here, I think that puts a bit more of a burden on defences, and should open up Gallup for more room. So, from that standpoint, I think Amari opens our spots a bit more. I think it was a bit much to expect a 3rd round rookie to have to be open a lot, and Hurns has been abysmal. So, Amari makes sense for that reason. I think Dak has his share of blame too, but now he should have better options. Gallup looks like he's coming around now. If we can turn Beasley loose a bit more, then I think our offence can get back to where we want it, especially with our defence. Now, how far it takes us is a different story.

You're conveniently forgetting we have a lower-mid tier QB.

Tough enough to win some games, bad enough to lose some others.

Cowboy06

Professional Positive Naysayer
Reaction score
That’s why I love Jerry. He wants to win. I hate Garrett and linehan and Dak but Jerry I can’t blame him.

Okay, but what's the constant since the losing began in 1996? I want to win, you want to win, so does Jerry (I think), but he's the only one that can really make things happen...just seems to be more negative than positive of recent memory. I wouldn't have given up a 1st again. But I know the shelf life of stupid in Jerry's eyes...it's 9 years...every nine years he pulls the trigger on a WR for a 1st..

TimHortons

TheXFactor
Reaction score
Like it or not, we are married to Dak now. This trade indicates that Jerry thinks Dak's struggles are due to a lack of weapons, which is partially true, but Dak's inadequacies as a passer and our awful coaching would make Randy moss and Calvin Johnson look pedestrian. Jerry clearly loves him some Dak, can't wait to see the contract they give him