American Idol season 12

kmp77

Reaction score
blindzebra;5029163 said:
BEATLES not BEETLES...glass houses alert.:laugh2:

Sorry, I'm at work so type fast and didn't proofread. Anyway, I'm not the musician who should know the classics. So the glass house doesn't exist. It's like a rookie RB who doesn't know who Smith or Sanders is.

pjtoadie

Well known member
Reaction score
kmp77;5029193 said:
Sorry, I'm at work so type fast and didn't proofread. Anyway, I'm not the musician who should know the classics. So the glass house doesn't exist. It's like a rookie RB who doesn't know who Smith or Sanders is.

I think that analogy is a little bit off imo. Comparing a rookie RB in the NFL not knowing who Emmitt or Barry is isn't the same thing as Brunell not knowing "Let It Be" by the Beatles.

Yes he's a singer/musician and not knowing one of the most recognized songs in pop music history is a little confusing but he's a R&B/Gospel singer so maybe growing up in New Orleans his family never listened to the Beatles and maybe he only listened to Soul and Gospel? He said he knew who the Beatles are but isn't really familiar with them.

Now a rookie RB SHOULD know all of the greats that played before him because it's the same position and the NFL is the only huge professional league out there. As far as the music industry goes there isn't just one "league" and you can have a very successful career not knowing many artists/songs before you etc.

kristie

Reaction score
kmp77;5029128 said:
How does Angie NOT win this thing?

And that one dude didn't know that Beetles song? He should have been sent home right then.

I agree on all of that. anyone who doesn't know "let it be" needs to be hit really hard in the face. that song is a classic.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
kristie;5029283 said:
I agree on all of that. anyone who doesn't know "let it be" needs to be hit really hard in the face. that song is a classic.

It may be a classic but I can't stand Beatles night, boring, boring, boring. The only Beatles performance that I liked/loved was Haley Reinhart's "Benny and the Jets", probably because it was real sexy though.

WhizKid

Reaction score
The problem with beatles night is their songs aren't met for a singing competition, and without the right instrumentation and vocal usage, they come off boring when others sing. Candice had the best performance of the night.

I would say this is def a night of bad song choices and usage.

Don't sleep on Kree, she is a country singer with a good voice.
Burnell and Angie sang well.

Devin is a good singer, but his song choices tend to be a little safe.

Amber had a poor performance, but I expect a lot more on other nights.

Everyone else is irrelevant to me.

pjtoadie

Well known member
Reaction score
da_whiz_kid;5029329 said:
The problem with beatles night is their songs aren't met for a singing competition, and without the right instrumentation and vocal usage, they come off boring when others sing. Candice had the best performance of the night.

I would say this is def a night of bad song choices and usage.

Don't sleep on Kree, she is a country singer with a good voice.
Burnell and Angie sang well.

Devin is a good singer, but his song choices tend to be a little safe.

Amber had a poor performance, but I expect a lot more on other nights.

Everyone else is irrelevant to me.

This ^

Everyone needs to chill about Brunell not knowing "Let It Be". I could see if he had entered a Beatles fan contest or something and didn't know it :laugh2:

Like I said in an earlier post he probably only grew up listening to soul and gospel music because that's the genre of music he likes and sings. Plus he's only 19 years old and maybe he never cared to learn about pop music history? Just seems funny that so many people on the web are bashing him for not knowing that song. Like there is a Beatles song test in every high school in America that kids are tested on or something :D

kristie

Reaction score
dexternjack;5029299 said:
It may be a classic but I can't stand Beatles night, boring, boring, boring. The only Beatles performance that I liked/loved was Haley Reinhart's "Benny and the Jets", probably because it was real sexy though.

i love that performance too, but that song was actually done by elton john. just saying. ;)

blindzebra

Reaction score
dexternjack;5029299 said:

That is Elton John.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
blindzebra;5029670 said:
That is Elton John.

Yea yea, Elton John, Beatles, as Fletch would say.."it's all ball-bearings"

Close enough in my book, heh

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I finally watched last night's show tonight. Janelle was the best IMO with Kree, Angie and Candice next.

I do not know how Lazaro survived, he was absolutely horrible.

All in all, the worst female(Amber) is better than the best guy(not sure if there is one).

At this point, I think any girl can win if they step up to the plate, it is there for the taking.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
These stupid themes need to stop if AI has any hopes of another season. Let the singers live and die at their own hands. It is asking a bit much to have young people sing old songs, i.e. Motown, Beatles, etc. They do not understand the times people lived in so will/do have a hard time connecting with the lyrics. Let them choose their own song from any decade and live with the consequences.

One way is having an '80's week, a 90's week, etc, etc. Let the contestants choose any song they wish from that decade but minimalizing it to a type or group is ridiculous IMO.

Sorry, just sick and tired of the same format every season and Motown is my least favorite, right behind the Beatles.

How about a George Strait week??? That would satisfy me :)

kristie

Reaction score
dexternjack;5030418 said:
These stupid themes need to stop if AI has any hopes of another season. Let the singers live and die at their own hands. It is asking a bit much to have young people sing old songs, i.e. Motown, Beatles, etc. They do not understand the times people lived in so will/do have a hard time connecting with the lyrics. Let them choose their own song from any decade and live with the consequences.

One way is having an '80's week, a 90's week, etc, etc. Let the contestants choose any song they wish from that decade but minimalizing it to a type or group is ridiculous IMO.

Sorry, just sick and tired of the same format every season and Motown is my least favorite, right behind the Beatles.

How about a George Strait week??? That would satisfy me :)

i would love that because a lot of the music i loved listening to growing up was from the '80s.

kristie

Reaction score
pjtoadie;5031122 said:
I'm not surprised! It had a good long run but I think it won't be on much longer. Since Simon left the show it has gone downhill imo and now with The Voice, X-Factor, and AGT it isn't the only talent competition around.

the voice has, IMO, clearly proven to be idol's stiffest competition.

kristie

Reaction score
dexternjack;5032663 said:
Seacrest is the only thing holding Idol together IMO. They boot him, they are done.

i agree. the only person they should fire, IMO, is nicki minaj.