An Honest Question About Dak

Status
Not open for further replies.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
If Zeke was held to 47 yards shouldn’t Dak have loosened the Rams defense up with about 400 yards passing and maybe 3-4 td’s?
he wasn't able to.....he is a about 250 yard a game passer, with some anomalies here and there. regardless of what zeke does...

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Wow you’re so wrong haha. The whole point of using those three QBs is because they were all pedestrian their first seasons and were all on extremely talented teams. Aka the same situation as Dak. Arguably better because those teams had elite coaching and overall better teams which is why they won Super Bowls. None of those QB’s especially Tom Brady were regarded as responsible for their teams first super bowl.

Tom Brady wasn’t any given credit for that first Super Bowl, you said literally the exact opposite of the truth.
haha, Dak won a lot first year in the league. playing with a top 5 WR and a great TE and top 5 OL EVER. since then...he has been protected very well.

Philmonroe

Reaction score
I think I can guess why a lot of people don’t “like” Dak
Yeah he isn't nothing more than avg. Anything else that some of y'all are implying is straight up insecurity on yalls part. This guy isn't the Lebron of qbs that is above reproach.

Last edited:

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I would like to ask the forum why we as an NFL treat Dak so different from any other young QB. The easy answer is he’s the Cowboys QB, but let’s dive in a little more.

Dak just finished up year 3. His biggest criticisms are:

-Inconsistent with decision making and accuracy.
-Issues with pocket awareness.
-“Game Manager”

Here are his first 3 years:

Dak Prescott- 975 completions on 1,475 attempts for a 66% completion percentage and about 3,625 passing yards a season. He’s averaged 23 TD passes and 8 interceptions. His YPA for his career is 7.4

Let’s look at 3 other quarterbacks in their first 3 years

Russell Wilson - 794 completions on 1,252 attempts for a 63.33 completion percentage for about 3,316 passing yards a season. Over those years he averaged 24 TD passes and about 8 interceptions. His YPA in those 3 years was 7.8

Big Ben - 644 completions on 1,032 attempts for a 62 % completion percentage and about 2,840 yards passing a season. He averaged about 17 TD passes and 14 interceptions. His YPA those years was 8.4

Tom Brady - 954 completions on 1,541 attempts for a 62% completion rate and about 3,409 yards passing a season. He averaged about 23 TD passes and 13 interceptions. His YPA was 6.7

Dak arguably has performed the best statistically of all these teams with worse coaching and worse players (remember these are all Super Bowl teams within those first 3 years of those guys careers).

I hear so much talk on this forum about how much better Romo was and they back it up with stats and highlights from when Romo already had years of experience and reps.

Dak is only in year 3. While the other QB’s mentioned above were given some of the same criticisms, they also were given time to grow.

-R. Wilson was a game manager who routinely sailed fastballs over WR’s heads.
-It took Tom Brady 5 years to shake off his rep as a game manager with an all time great HC.
-Big Ben barely got to throw the ball this first few years.

Why do most other QB’s get a chance to improve while Dak is supposed to be at peak potential right away?

Is it because Dak’s lows are aesthetically unpleasant while his highs don’t look that sexy either? Is it the color of his skin? Is it the 2016 season that spoiled us all?

Dak has obviously made strides in improvement this season once he got a semblance of a WR/TE group.
Why do most fans shut the door on any more improvement from him? Why do we give Jared Goff a pass for bad QB coaching but Dak doesn’t? Help me understand why we as a fanbase refuse to give Dak the same leash as everyone else. All these QB’s were limited in their first few years, let’s let the growth process complete before we make a definitive judgment.

Oh NO.....another Dak is Great post....whtever it's a free country I guess but man he's got more flaws back there than used car....having a passing TD the past 2 years for us the fan base is now a Luxury!!!!

I would be his biggest SUPPORTER if the kid had the stuff.....he doesn't and wishful thinking and that some coach will show up and make him a Franchise QB is la la la talk.....Next Please!

P.S. We simply do not have the Cap dollars to give this young inept QB the players around him to win a Superbowl!!!

Willfreedom909

Reaction score
Yeah he isn't nothing more than avg. Anything else that some of y'all are implying is straight up insecurity on yalls part. This guy isn't the Lebron of qbs that is above reproach.
you’re irrelevant. Don’t waste time replying again clown

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
I would like to ask the forum why we as an NFL treat Dak so different from any other young QB. The easy answer is he’s the Cowboys QB, but let’s dive in a little more.

-“Game Manager”

Dak Prescott- 975 completions on 1,475 attempts for a 66% completion percentage and about 3,625 passing yards a season. He’s averaged 23 TD passes and 8 interceptions. His YPA for his career is 7.4

Russell Wilson - 794 completions on 1,252 attempts for a 63.33 completion percentage for about 3,316 passing yards a season. Over those years he averaged 24 TD passes and about 8 interceptions. His YPA in those 3 years was 7.8

Big Ben - 644 completions on 1,032 attempts for a 62 % completion percentage and about 2,840 yards passing a season. He averaged about 17 TD passes and 14 interceptions. His YPA those years was 8.4

Tom Brady - 954 completions on 1,541 attempts for a 62% completion rate and about 3,409 yards passing a season. He averaged about 23 TD passes and 13 interceptions. His YPA was 6.7

Dak arguably has performed the best statistically of all these teams with worse coaching and worse players (remember these are all Super Bowl teams within those first 3 years of those guys careers).

I hear so much talk on this forum about how much better Romo was and they back it up with stats and highlights from when Romo already had years of experience and reps.

Dak is only in year 3. While the other QB’s mentioned above were given some of the same criticisms, they also were given time to grow.

-It took Tom Brady 5 years to shake off his rep as a game manager with an all time great HC.

Why do most other QB’s get a chance to improve while Dak is supposed to be at peak potential right away?

Is it because Dak’s lows are aesthetically unpleasant while his highs don’t look that sexy either? Is it the color of his skin? Is it the 2016 season that spoiled us all?

Dak has obviously made strides in improvement this season once he got a semblance of a WR/TE group.
Why do most fans shut the door on any more improvement from him? Why do we give Jared Goff a pass for bad QB coaching but Dak doesn’t? Help me understand why we as a fanbase refuse to give Dak the same leash as everyone else. All these QB’s were limited in their first few years, let’s let the growth process complete before we make a definitive judgment.
Agreed.

It would seriously help if this Oline was taught how to both run and pass block correctly, effectively and consistently. Ex-coach Cam Cameron exposes what's wrong with our Oline and how they are being coached so wrong.

Cowboys @ Rams this past weekend:

Get a much better Oline coach in here who knows what he's doing to drastically improve this Oline, and watch Dak perform much better.

Very simple. Football 101.

Willfreedom909

Reaction score
Sorry, looking for a qb not a running back at this time. Last I heard a qb is typically rated on how they throw the ball not how they run it. Mike Vick wonderful as a running back but pretty crappy skill set as a qb.
You dumb? Vick has the strongest arm in the league at 210 pounds soaking wet. If he Wasnt so dumb he’d would’ve broken the league

Romotil45

Reaction score

-“Game Manager”

Dak is basically the same player he was at Miss St. he has not improved his weakness. He doesn't have the greatest arm strength he can make most of the throws but lacks the velocity to throw into tight windows and he struggles throwing the deep out and comebacks consistently. His ability to read defenses is a problem he has difficulty getting through his read progressions. He frankly at times throws the ball right at defenders hes had several throws that should have been picks dropped. This is concerning. Look at his weakness from his NFL scouting report that is who he is a game manager. Can we wiin with Dak yes we can his intangibles are off the charts but to win a Championship with him you will need an Elite Defense and Elite running game.

NFL Scouting Report Weaknesses
  • Inconsistency mars almost every aspect of his game, especially mechanically
  • Rocks back with a slight hitch in his delivery when putting zip on the ball
  • Can wind up with longer release when going down the field
  • Tendency to release the ball a tad early, resulting in a sailing or fluttering pass
  • Needs to vary the pace of the ball to match the situation/route (no bullets on screens)
  • Location and accuracy are generally poor, makes receivers adjust to off-target balls and minimizes yards after catch
  • Makes very poor decisions at times, forces passes into coverage
  • Footwork can get sloppy, will fall off his base throwing to his left, loses accuracy/velocity
  • Doesn’t possess the heralded “power arm” that he was once rumored to have
  • Deep ball accuracy is lacking, touch passing needs a compass
  • Does not throw with anticipation, poor timing leads to late throws to all areas of the field
  • Can be confused and fooled by more intricate coverage schemes (ex. Alabama’s pattern reading)
  • Lacks accuracy and velocity when throwing on the move
  • Not a great athlete, heavy-footed and lacking lateral quickness and explosiveness as a runner

TheDude

McLovin
Reaction score
I have said from the get go on what i think alot of the hate for Dak comes from. And i really think it has nothing to do with football. But ill leave it at that and i ope nobody goes into a debate about it because we will get benched lol. Ill discuss my view on this with anybody who wants in pm.

I just think alot of people think you have to be drafted high to be acceptable or you ave to be the QB they wanted. Everybody wanted Wentz or Goff. Wentz is a guy who is outplayed by his backup. And Goff is strctly a system QB. Which everybody with any football knowledge said during the draft process. Hell you saw it this past saturday. When Goff was forced to go thru read progressions he was horrible. Dallas went zone and all of the sudden Goff had the inside routes open. The Rams system had two types of plays. A run up the gut if Dallas shifted to the bunched Wr side. Or a in route if Dallas stayed in its base. Of ourse you have to have the players to make the plays. And they did. Dallas was just off balance with the presnap movement and misdirections on the snap.

Why do you think Philly and LA get the LOS so fast? Because the coach can speak to him until there are 15 seconds left on the play clock. The coach is walking him thru the defenses set. Moreso with Rams. Philly slowed down once Foles was in and i think thats why they have more success because Foles can read a defense better than Wentz. Dak has had to learn the pro system. He's had to make the adjustments because of type of offense the Boys run.

We saw Wentz and Goff in when they didnt have a coaching holding their hand presnap and it was really bad.
Well the first part is just bull****. I would doubt any fan here would have "precanned critique" for mahomes.

Dak is a gamer and may be able to lead a team with help. However, he doesn't have the arm, accuracy, or natural mechanics to get you consistent results.

I think a lot of this may be scheme, but wrs are not hit in stride, out routes are late and 4yd routes have no chance to turn upfield. He misses very high or very low in intermediate throws, the high misses - all bad mechanics ( think Seattle last year on the pick six to elliot) and there is rarely if ever anticipatory throws into open space. And as others have said, he takes ridiculous sacks to remove points from the board. The last point I think is coaching him to hang the pocket and not using his legs

Dak belongs in the NFL, but he will never be elite in spinning the ball. That is ok, but the majority of games will be nail biters and depend on a good defense and minimal penalties.

If dak is the future he has to just take charge and do the little things to get an edge like rogers,brady and brees by quick snapping to get a 12 man defensive penalty, take shots on offside hard counts, etc. He is completely hamstrung by coaching , but I've said that since 2008 and kinda tired of that subject

TwentyOne

Reaction score

-“Game Manager”

I cant help myself. I dont see any important improvement in Prescotts play. He is what he was scouted when he came out of college.

The negative points you mentioned are very nice worded. To me Dak is a good leader and a fighter on the field. And there it ends.

He cant really throw the ball. He doesnt see the field at all. He needs a first read throw else the play is dead. Pressure him up the middle and he is lost. He cant even read the qb option the right way on a regular basis.

This guy is a good college qb. Can be a good NFL backup. But thats the maximum. He needs a ton of talent around him to be successfull. I dont see any team to be able to give him this. Not in a salary capped era we are in.

I hope we wont sign him to a long term contract. But with this stupid Cooper trade we gave away the needed ammo for a franchise QB. So i think we have to get used to him for the next "Dak"ade. Forgive me that wordplay.

TheDude

McLovin
Reaction score
i had this debate with somebody in my private msgs. I basically said when Dallas got Cooper after, Dak was one of the most productive QBS in the the nfl. The offense was one of the most productive. LOL the same response as every other pessimist. IDC about those stats. He's still missing deep throws. My response was on most of them drives where he misses, hes still driving down the field for a TD. IDC he still missed it, he's not consitent. lol

You can post facts and give them absolutes like wins and outcomes. But their narrative will always be the same.
He had cooper for TB Andy, to be shut out by the latter. This is a consistency issue. Maybe it is scheme. But you can't set a record for 1 rd in three straight games and then get shutout in a Dec game and just point to some season stat to mask issues

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dak is basically the same player he was at Miss St. he has not improved his weakness. He doesn't have the greatest arm strength he can make most of the throws but lacks the velocity to throw into tight windows and he struggles throwing the deep out and comebacks consistently. His ability to read defenses is a problem he has difficulty getting through his read progressions. He frankly at times throws the ball right at defenders hes had several throws that should have been picks dropped. This is concerning. Look at his weakness from his NFL scouting report that is who he is a game manager. Can we wiin with Dak yes we can his intangibles are off the charts but to win a Championship with him you will need an Elite Defense and Elite running game.

• Tendency to release the ball a tad early, resulting in a sailing or fluttering pass
  • Needs to vary the pace of the ball to match the situation/route (no bullets on screens)
  • Location and accuracy are generally poor, makes receivers adjust to off-target balls and minimizes yards after catch
  • Footwork can get sloppy, will fall off his base throwing to his left, loses accuracy/velocity
  • Does not throw with anticipation, poor timing leads to late throws to all areas of the field
  • Can be confused and fooled by more intricate coverage schemes (ex. Alabama’s pattern reading)
  • Not a great athlete, heavy-footed and lacking lateral quickness and explosiveness as a runner

Yep that's a lot of salami to make into Caviar.......!!!:eek:

TheDude

McLovin
Reaction score
I liken most of these Dak fans to someone that hasn't had something nice so they think avg is awesome until they see real awesomeness. After they experience true awesomeness they then get why folks have said they've been missing out for so long.
This is Dallas fans in general. Talent is always overvalued

Dorsett33

Reaction score

-“Game Manager”

Great Post!!

TwentyOne

Reaction score
This dood should have had 500 yards against that dreadful rams secondary. Instead he was a 4th down game manager all game

Seriously this is the first game of which i dont want to watch the 22. He killed me. At time there were 2 WRs wide open in the same area. he looked straight at them and still threw the ball to another one that was well covered.

This team could have easily won the SB this year with a good QB.

Status
Not open for further replies.