An Honest Question About Dak

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dre11

Reaction score
No, not to the depth they are now. There weren't poor quarterbacks throwing for 4,500 yards in 2001...only 2 were even over 4,000. The other was Peyton. That year, there were only 5 qbs with a passer rating over 90. This year, there were 12 over 4,000 and 3 who had more yards than Warner. 24 quarterbacks had ratings over 90, 9 were over 100. This is unprecedented. In 2012, there were 11 over 4,000 yards, but only 10 with a rating over 90.

Dak has the arm to be a more explosive QB, but he simply does not see down the field well enough or push the ball often enough to do it right now. Some of that is the system, but in a league where passing is easier than it has ever been, it is silly to compare Dak to QBs who are from the previous era - even if this era is only 2-3 years old.

Do people just talk to be talking or do they know their team? Dak isn't in some pass happy offense, HE'S BEEN IN A RUN BASE OFFENSE FOR 3 YEARS....lol

Dre11

Reaction score
All you have to do is look at the passing yards thrown 5 years ago compared to now to see that passing is easier than ever.

Dak plays in a run based offense and has been for 3 years, it's not like HE'S slinging the ball all over the field

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
I would like to ask the forum why we as an NFL treat Dak so different from any other young QB. The easy answer is he’s the Cowboys QB, but let’s dive in a little more.

Dak just finished up year 3. His biggest criticisms are:

-Inconsistent with decision making and accuracy.
-Issues with pocket awareness.
-“Game Manager”

Here are his first 3 years:

Dak Prescott- 975 completions on 1,475 attempts for a 66% completion percentage and about 3,625 passing yards a season. He’s averaged 23 TD passes and 8 interceptions. His YPA for his career is 7.4

Let’s look at 3 other quarterbacks in their first 3 years

Russell Wilson - 794 completions on 1,252 attempts for a 63.33 completion percentage for about 3,316 passing yards a season. Over those years he averaged 24 TD passes and about 8 interceptions. His YPA in those 3 years was 7.8

Big Ben - 644 completions on 1,032 attempts for a 62 % completion percentage and about 2,840 yards passing a season. He averaged about 17 TD passes and 14 interceptions. His YPA those years was 8.4

Tom Brady - 954 completions on 1,541 attempts for a 62% completion rate and about 3,409 yards passing a season. He averaged about 23 TD passes and 13 interceptions. His YPA was 6.7

Dak arguably has performed the best statistically of all these teams with worse coaching and worse players (remember these are all Super Bowl teams within those first 3 years of those guys careers).

I hear so much talk on this forum about how much better Romo was and they back it up with stats and highlights from when Romo already had years of experience and reps.

Dak is only in year 3. While the other QB’s mentioned above were given some of the same criticisms, they also were given time to grow.

-R. Wilson was a game manager who routinely sailed fastballs over WR’s heads.
-It took Tom Brady 5 years to shake off his rep as a game manager with an all time great HC.
-Big Ben barely got to throw the ball this first few years.

Why do most other QB’s get a chance to improve while Dak is supposed to be at peak potential right away?

Is it because Dak’s lows are aesthetically unpleasant while his highs don’t look that sexy either? Is it the color of his skin? Is it the 2016 season that spoiled us all?

Dak has obviously made strides in improvement this season once he got a semblance of a WR/TE group.
Why do most fans shut the door on any more improvement from him? Why do we give Jared Goff a pass for bad QB coaching but Dak doesn’t? Help me understand why we as a fanbase refuse to give Dak the same leash as everyone else. All these QB’s were limited in their first few years, let’s let the growth process complete before we make a definitive judgment.

Why?
Either they are loser trolls living in mommy's basement OR Romo lovers who can't get over the fact there lovable loser lost his job to Dak.

DezNuts

Reaction score
I'm convinced now more than ever that Dak is the right guy going forward. I have so much faith in this kid when the game is in clutch situations. If we got the ball back at the end of the game I fully expected us to go down and score and make the 2pt. Seriously the vibes I get when its do or die are Brady, Wilson-esque, you just get the feeling that he's gonna do what has to be done to win.

dfense

Reaction score
I already tried to tell people Dak is playing comparably to young Russell and Ben. They just had dominant defenses. With young QBs it’s a lot easier to win by not putting too much on their plates.
Ben's defense was horrendous this year. Cowboys was a top 5. Regardless, stats don't tell the story.

Redline360

Reaction score
See this is where comparing quarterbacks to numbers is just completely wrong and misleading. Dak gets hate from the majority of the fans, media, and experts for several reasons.

The reason why Dak gets a lot of hate is not due to his numbers or "leadership" rather his fundamentals of football. What all the quarterbacks listed in the OP have in common versus Dak is there god given talent and fundamentals. Don't get me wrong every quarterback improves on these standards through the years however Dak starts with a bigger handicap. His pocket awareness, footwork, ability to read defenses, and accuracy is behind the vast majority of new quarterbacks. What he does have going for him is leadership and his abilities to make plays at the end of the game.

Another main reason Dak draws alot of press is well he is the quarterback of "Americas team"

I'm personally not a huge fan of Dak for the reasons listed above however a lot of his struggles early on would be due to the coaching staff. Build around his strengths and stop using the same offense from the Romo years. I would love to see what Dak could do behind a new regiment of coaches.

We also have one of the premier running backs in the league which helps him out GREATLY.

Last edited:

Dre11

Reaction score
All you have to do is look at the passing yards thrown 5 years ago compared to now to see that passing is easier than ever.

Also to add to my other post, he played with Dez, Witten,Twill who everyone here said they were either on the downside of their career, washed up, or no good. So where was his help that made his passing yards so easy?

Brax

Reaction score
Look at the QBs you mentioned. In Wilson's first 3 years the Seahawks got to the Super Bowl twice and won once. In Ben's 2nd season the Steelers won the Super Bowl. In Brady's first 3 years as the starter, the Pats won the Super Bowl twice. So, no there is no argument that Dak outperformed those "teams" that had Wilson, Ben and Brady at QB.
bingo

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
The last 3 years, the Cowboys have a better reg season record, and have one playoff win- same as sea.
so now you are mixing apples and oranges. the OP compared the first 3 years of careers. now we are comparing the first three years of Dak with last three years of Wilson. not sure why this is relevant.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Do people just talk to be talking or do they know their team? Dak isn't in some pass happy offense, HE'S BEEN IN A RUN BASE OFFENSE FOR 3 YEARS....lol
Classic moving the goal posts.

If he plays in a run offense, then don't compare him to guys who dont'.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
so now you are mixing apples and oranges. the OP compared the first 3 years of careers. now we are comparing the first three years of Dak with last three years of Wilson. not sure why this is relevant.
I was responding to your statement, “Wilson has done a lot more with a lot less.” I was merely pointing out that your statement isn’t completely accurate. If Wilson did more with less, why have the Cowboys won more games the last 3 years and have a playoff win over the Hawks? You don’t have to to agree with me of course. Just telling you what I was responding to. We can agree to disagree.

Philmonroe

Reaction score
you’re irrelevant. Don’t waste time replying again clown
I'm very relevant or else you wouldn't reply. You're insecure as ever and that leads to these lame non football reasons excuses for your avg Qb. I also have to laugh at you knowing you wouldn't dare call me a clown face to face over Dak. Online where you're safe and have no repercussions people spew venom they know they don't in their day to day lives. Keep being funny online my guy.

Dre11

Reaction score
Classic moving the goal posts.

If he plays in a run offense, then don't compare him to guys who dont'.

There's no goal post moving, it makes it even more impressive, to have comparable numbers. There ain't no goal post moving

Philmonroe

Reaction score
He had cooper for TB Andy, to be shut out by the latter. This is a consistency issue. Maybe it is scheme. But you can't set a record for 1 rd in three straight games and then get shutout in a Dec game and just point to some season stat to mask issues
The person he was talking to was me but I don't like stats that don't match up with what you're seeing. Hell by stats Garrett is a decent coach how many folks ready to consign that? All you have to do is use folks bs arguments against them and see if they stay consistent. You can't do that to me because I'm consistent. Dak misses too many plays for a alleged good/great qb to some. When we lose its look what Dak has to overcome but when we win it's he's a leader. Which one is it? If he's soooo clutch how come he couldn't bring us back down one possession on Sat? When you ask the stats geeks these real life questions they lie and tell one side of the story like the person you quoted telling half behind stories.

Coy

Reaction score
Dak is a solid QB, don`t think he`ll ever be a top tier QB in the league but we can win with him with great teams and coaching around him a la Alex Smith.
Is that who we want for a $130 million contract, not so sure about that and not an ideal situation but that is where we are and it be difficult to go another war.

Status
Not open for further replies.