An Interesting Draft Scenario By Colin Cowherd

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
CaptainAmerica;2035108 said:
This was discussed a while back. The problem is they can't do it because the agents say that when Miami makes their selection that player will take the position that he should be paid as the #1 pick. It's not going to happen.
I think that a player probably would hold out but in the end, I don't think they would get the money. In the end, Miami would likely still pay less for the player then what they would have had they taken them #1.

adamknite

Reaction score
I've got a question, what would happen if say... Miami did that (passing on their pick), and they had no problem with it, all the other teams are just making their picks.

Could they still trade their pick?

Say they've fallen down to where Oakland is on the clock, and they decide they'd take an offer from Dallas for a bunch of picks so Dallas can draft DMac. Oakland doesn't feel like they're in rush, and thinks the mentioned scenario is going to play out where Miami drafts one of the guys on their list now that they dont' have to pay #1 money. However now Dallas has the pick and gets their card in before Oakland(who was ready to draft Dmac) is something like that possible?

FYI: I just used that hypethetical scenario because it seemed like one that most people would understand what I'm talking about. This isn't a "OMG, this is how we are going to get Dmac" post.

CaptainAmerica

Reaction score
Hostile;2035122 said:
Nope.

"Goodell would shove his foot up the butts of [GM] Jeff Ireland and Bill Parcells [if that happened]," said an agent who wished to remain anonymous. "It's absolutely atrocious. It makes a mockery of the draft process and of the collective-bargaining agreement. ... I think it's beyond realistic, and I'd advise against any team doing it. If it was my client they took at No. 5, I would want first overall pick money or my kid's not reporting to training camp."

"It's not going to happen," agent David Cantor said. "The Dolphins owe it to their fans to have a decisive, rock-solid 100 percent consensus on a player to become the face of this franchise, and that's what they're going to do."

Sorry Hos, but what does "nope" mean? The article you cite makes the exact point I mentioned.

"If it was my client they took at No. 5, I would want first overall pick money or my kid's not reporting to training camp."

Just because Miami could do it doesn't mean tough, experienced, skilled agents like Condon are going to sit back and take it. The last thing Miami wants is a hold out and a protracted contract battle because they pulled a stunt to try and save $$.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Chief;2034883 said:
If that happens, then the system officially needs fixing.

Bad teams should covet the first pick. I guess something needs to be done about the rookie salaries.

We have a winner here! Perhaps substantial penalties for not getting the pick in on time?

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
CaptainAmerica;2035142 said:
Sorry Hos, but what does "nope" mean? The article you cite makes the exact point I mentioned.

"If it was my client they took at No. 5, I would want first overall pick money or my kid's not reporting to training camp."

Just because Miami could do it doesn't mean tough, experienced, skilled agents like Condon are going to sit back and take it. The last thing Miami wants is a hold out and a protracted contract battle because they pulled a stunt to try and save $$.
Read the first part I bolded.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
c0wb0y_m0nkey;2034851 said:
The agent for whoever they draft will hold out for number one money.

exactly, and the dolphins would end up caving. This would be pretty bad for the league if this happened.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
CaptainAmerica;2035142 said:

On the contrary. That's exactly what Miami wants. They want to be financially responsible with the player they pick. They are looking at a long range view of this IMO. I mean, there comes a point where the player has to report. They can't just sit out. Does it screw up there development cycle? Sure it does but that's the chance you take right? At the end of the day, all the leverage is on the side of the team, not the player. Eventually, if the club really wants to stick to it, the player has to sign.

CaptainAmerica

Reaction score
Hostile;2035145 said:
Read the first part I bolded.

I did. Of course the Fins could do it, but the last part of the article explains exactly what I said in my first post, that it's not that simple. The agent for the player they eventually selected is not going to accept less than #1 pick money if the Fins pulled a stunt and passed on the pick.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Manwiththeplan;2035152 said:
exactly, and the dolphins would end up caving. This would be pretty bad for the league if this happened.

Teams have not signed players before for one reason or another.

As stubborn as Parcells is it wouldn't shock me if he did not sign the player.

DFWJC

Reaction score
adamknite;2035136 said:
I've got a question, what would happen if say... Miami did that (passing on their pick), and they had no problem with it, all the other teams are just making their picks.

Could they still trade their pick?

Say they've fallen down to where Oakland is on the clock, and they decide they'd take an offer from Dallas for a bunch of picks so Dallas can draft DMac. Oakland doesn't feel like they're in rush, and thinks the mentioned scenario is going to play out where Miami drafts one of the guys on their list now that they dont' have to pay #1 money. However now Dallas has the pick and gets their card in before Oakland(who was ready to draft Dmac) is something like that possible?

FYI: I just used that hypethetical scenario because it seemed like one that most people would understand what I'm talking about. This isn't a "OMG, this is how we are going to get Dmac" post.

Sure, Miami could trade it. It's just that the value of the pick would drop after each selection is made ahead of them. As for your scenario, I would think Dallas could step in ahead of Oakland, but I'm not sure what the timing would have to be.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
CaptainAmerica;2035162 said:
I did. Of course the Fins could do it, but the last part of the article explains exactly what I said in my first post, that it's not that simple. The agent for the player they eventually selected is not going to accept less than #1 pick money if the Fins pulled a stunt and passed on the pick.
By all means then, please explain to me why when Minnesota did it they paid the guy they slected as the #9 pick, not the #7 Pick, which is where they were originally slotted to select. The agents can scream and wail all they want. The only thing that matters is "where were you selected?"

Just like the guy the Dolphins take at 32 this year is not going to get 1st round money just because New England got stripped.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
Hostile;2035166 said:
By all means then, please explain to me why when Minnesota did it they paid the guy they slected as the #9 pick, not the #7. The agents can scream and wail all they want/ The only thing that matters is where were you selected.

for minny though, i don't think it was intentional. to intentionally do it while legal, would likely set objects in motion that don't need to be.

from your own article:
"Goodell would shove his foot up the butts of [GM] Jeff Ireland and Bill Parcells [if that happened]," said an agent who wished to remain anonymous. "It's absolutely atrocious. It makes a mockery of the draft process and of the collective-bargaining agreement. ... I think it's beyond realistic, and I'd advise against any team doing it. If it was my client they took at No. 5, I would want first overall pick money or my kid's not reporting to training camp."

The team with the top pick is permitted to sign a player before the draft, and the Dolphins have already begun negotiations with the agents of Jake Long and Gholston. So they do appear to be honing in on their selection.

If the Dolphins did shock the NFL establishment by taking a pass, the league could mandate that teams forfeit the pick if they didn't use it.

"It would be detrimental to the league and force them to change the rule," said retired NFL executive Tom Braatz. "The first pick has always been so valuable that everybody tries to trade up. This is the first year nobody wants it."
-----

like i said - it's cute and likely only to cause a lot of problems. just make the trade affordable to whoever wants it (no one in this case) and move down.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
iceberg;2035172 said:
for minny though, i don't think it was intentional. to intentionally do it while legal, would likely set objects in motion that don't need to be.

from your own article:
Not a league official.

The team with the top pick is permitted to sign a player before the draft, and the Dolphins have already begun negotiations with the agents of Jake Long and Gholston. So they do appear to be honing in on their selection.

If the Dolphins did shock the NFL establishment by taking a pass, the league could mandate that teams forfeit the pick if they didn't use it.
Read Greg Aiello's (he actually works for the NFL) quote at the top of the article. Doesn't sound like they would to me.

"It would be detrimental to the league and force them to change the rule," said retired NFL executive Tom Braatz. "The first pick has always been so valuable that everybody tries to trade up. This is the first year nobody wants it."
Exactly and notice he doesn't say it is impossible or improbable.

like i said - it's cute and likely only to cause a lot of problems. just make the trade affordable to whoever wants it (no one in this case) and move down.
I think it would be incredibly smart, not cute. Since they can't make a trade they can get one of the guys they want and not shovel money down the chimney.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
Hostile;2035174 said:
Not a league official.

Read Greg Aiello's (he actually works for the NFL) quote at the top of the article. Doesn't sound like they would to me.

Exactly and notice he doesn't say it is impossible or improbable.

I think it would be incredibly smart, not cute. Since they can't make a trade they can get one of the guys they want and not shovel money down the chimney.

no, i get what you're saying hos. but i'm with the unnamed official who's making his/her own educated guess. if miami really wants to not put itself in a potentially bad situation, trade down now and get it over with. if they do it it will certainly be entertaining to see what happens next, but my own belief is it will cause a lot of pain across the league and be a forum topic in the line of pacman that will never die and have a dozen threads opened a day to talk about it.

my main theory in life is if you don't want bad things to happen to you, don't put yourself in a position where they're likely to. like, doing this.

maybe he does it and no one cares and everyone gets along just fine. i just think it's taking a risk you don't need to take.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
iceberg;2035172 said:

from your own article:

-----

But that's kind of the point right? If this were to happen, it would simply be a matter of the market correcting itself. This is what happens when you force teams to pay more for unproven players then proven ones.

I mean, the other side to this is that if this ultimatly provided a solution for the pain the owners haveing to paying too high a salary for 1st round picks, then perhaps that situation gets corrected and the result is an avoidence of a strike. I mean, this does not necessarily represent a negative thing. The truth is that this has been a problem for some time. Sooner or later, it's going to explode if it does not get corrected.

In a strike, the players will lose out. They always have and they always will because that's how the financial aspects of these kinds of things work. Owners have more money and can afford to wait longer before the food starts disappearing off the table. If the players get to that point, then the owners will simply enjoy a position of advantage and get even more from the players then they would have if they struck an agreement.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
iceberg;2035177 said:
no, i get what you're saying hos. but i'm with the unnamed official who's making his/her own educated guess. if miami really wants to not put itself in a potentially bad situation, trade down now and get it over with. if they do it it will certainly be entertaining to see what happens next, but my own belief is it will cause a lot of pain across the league and be a forum topic in the line of pacman that will never die and have a dozen threads opened a day to talk about it.

my main theory in life is if you don't want bad things to happen to you, don't put yourself in a position where they're likely to. like, doing this.

maybe he does it and no one cares and everyone gets along just fine. i just think it's taking a risk you don't need to take.
How do you trade down if no one wants to trade up?

CaptainAmerica

Reaction score
Hostile;2035166 said:
By all means then, please explain to me why when Minnesota did it they paid the guy they slected as the #9 pick, not the #7 Pick, which is where they were originally slotted to select. The agents can scream and wail all they want. The only thing that matters is "where were you selected?"

Just like the guy the Dolphins take at 32 this year is not going to get 1st round money just because New England got stripped.

The big difference in the 2 situations is intent. As I recall the Minnesota situation, they didn't do it with the intent to circumvent the system. The Vikings screwed up and let the time run off and other teams jumped in front of them.

Of course, if the Fins waited several picks and selected a player not in the top tier of prospects the situation would be different. But if they try and pick anywhere in the top 5, the agents have made it clear the Fins would be in for a long, protracted contract battle. I doubt that's the way Parells wants to do business. Say what you want about him but he does respect the NFL and the system.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
CaptainAmerica;2035182 said:
The big difference in the 2 situations is intent. As I recall the Minnesota situation, they didn't do it with the intent to circumvent the system. The Vikings screwed up and let the time run off and other teams jumped in front of them.

Of course, if the Fins waited several picks and selected a player not in the top tier of prospects the situation would be different. But if they try and pick anywhere in the top 5, the agents have made it clear the Fins would be in for a long, protracted contract battle. I doubt that's the way Parells wants to do business. Say what you want about him but he does respect the NFL and the system.
Intent has nothing to do with it. Greg Aiello made that clear.

"NFL spokesman Greg Aiello confirmed that it is a legal maneuver, and that any team can pass on their pick without any penalty. He also said that team could then jump in front of any team that has a later pick."

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
It would make interesting TV but it would be a very risky move. If they wanted to sit and wait, 3 or 4 picks to see who might go, they could wind up screwing themselves if the guys they want are all snatched up by teams raring to go and then they've moved down, like the wanted, but got none of the players they wanted.

It would probably be a long shot that they'd miss out on all 4 players...but it's a risk that they would.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
Hostile;2035180 said:
How do you trade down if no one wants to trade up?

i imagine he can trade down to teams who want someone in the top 5 and yes, there's a risk to trading down past 5 or 6. bigger as you fall more. i think they should just make the pick and be done with it or trade it for best deal they can. it's just my opinion gaming the system like this will cause a huge backlash.

maybe it's needed though. maybe this will force a cap on what a rookie can expect and that alone can do wonders for helping the league out in my own opinion.