An Interesting Draft Scenario By Colin Cowherd

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
iceberg;2035186 said:
i imagine he can trade down to teams who want someone in the top 5 and yes, there's a risk to trading down past 5 or 6. bigger as you fall more. i think they should just make the pick and be done with it or trade it for best deal they can. it's just my opinion gaming the system like this will cause a huge backlash.

maybe it's needed though. maybe this will force a cap on what a rookie can expect and that alone can do wonders for helping the league out in my own opinion.
Sometimes backlash is a good thing.

Or as Inspector Kemp said.

"An riot is an Ugly thing, and I think it is about time we had one."

Sorry I can't type his accent.

jackrussell

Last of the Duke Street Kings
Reaction score
Let's see....screwing the guy that's going to go to work for you right off the bat...oh yes, that'd be excellent. They'd surely be a happy camper and be a real team player by golly!

hey Jake, we're going to make you the cornerstone of our team, to help lead us in a new direction...the beginning of a new era, but first jake...we're going to put the screws to you...no hard feelings, ok buddy?

See you in camp.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
CaptainAmerica;2035182 said:
The big difference in the 2 situations is intent. As I recall the Minnesota situation, they didn't do it with the intent to circumvent the system. The Vikings screwed up and let the time run off and other teams jumped in front of them.

Of course, if the Fins waited several picks and selected a player not in the top tier of prospects the situation would be different. But if they try and pick anywhere in the top 5, the agents have made it clear the Fins would be in for a long, protracted contract battle. I doubt that's the way Parells wants to do business. Say what you want about him but he does respect the NFL and the system.

Unless there is specific language that says this is an offense that is punishable, I don't believe that the League can or will do much. Lets remember that the Commishioner is probably more sympathetic to the owners then to the players.

I know that in the old days, this was not uncommen. Teams would occasionally intentionally skip picks. This is not new to the NFL. It's just not something that most of us have seen in the recent history of the league.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
jackrussell;2035194 said:
Let's see....screwing the guy that's going to go to work for you right off the bat...oh yes, that'd be excellent. They'd surely be a happy camper and be a real team player by golly!

hey Jake, we're going to make you the cornerstone of our team, to help lead us in a new direction...the beginning of a new era, but first jake...we're going to put the screws to you...no hard feelings, ok buddy?

See you in camp.

another valid risk.

CaptainAmerica

Reaction score
Hostile;2035184 said:
Intent has nothing to do with it. Greg Aiello made that clear.

"NFL spokesman Greg Aiello confirmed that it is a legal maneuver, and that any team can pass on their pick without any penalty. He also said that team could then jump in front of any team that has a later pick."

I'm not talking about the league. Like I said, of course they could do it. I'm talking about the agent for the player they eventually pick. That's what makes the situation different than the Minnesota situation.

I understand the concept as a point of discussion, but as Ron Wolf (Parcells' buddy) made clear with his comments, it's simply bad business.

I wouldn't think it would be an intelligent move, no," said former Packers General Manager Ron Wolf, a friend of Dolphins vice president of football operations Bill Parcells. "I don't know why anybody would do that.

"It puts a negative spin on your organization. You're trying to be positive. Miami has the first pick. They've got a whole new regime there. ... The object is to get a good player so that you can compete and be representative in a very short period or someone else will be sitting in your chair."

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score

See you in camp.
You mean like Dallas did when they traded down and still took Roy Williams so they could sign him for less money? Or when they did it agains to Anthony Spencer?

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
Hostile;2035200 said:
You mean like Dallas did when they traded down and still took Roy Williams so they could sign him for less money? Or when they did it agains to Anthony Spencer?

but they traded down and took the risk their player would still be there.

they didn't game the system to avoid paying the money, they traded down to get the player where they thought they could and they would go.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
CaptainAmerica;2035199 said:
I'm not talking about the league. Like I said, of course they could do it. I'm talking about the agent for the player they eventually pick. That's what makes the situation different than the Minnesota situation.

I understand the concept as a point of discussion, but as Ron Wolf (Parcells' buddy) made clear with his comments, it's simply bad business.

I wouldn't think it would be an intelligent move, no," said former Packers General Manager Ron Wolf, a friend of Dolphins vice president of football operations Bill Parcells. "I don't know why anybody would do that.

"It puts a negative spin on your organization. You're trying to be positive. Miami has the first pick. They've got a whole new regime there. ... The object is to get a good player so that you can compete and be representative in a very short period or someone else will be sitting in your chair."
I think some would view it that way. I think others would see the savings in signing bonus alone, know that Miami got one of the 4 picks they wanted anyway, and be giddy about it.

The sword cuts both ways.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score

See you in camp.

Well, as in anything, there are two sides. The Vets may look at this as positive thing. After all, it would mean that Vet players would probably get more money to play. The NFL has changed a great deal in the last 20 years but one thing that has not changed is the fact that Sr. players still hold sway in the locker room. Vets still tell rookies where to carry there bags to. I mean, at the end of the day, the cap is still the cap. You have x amount of dollars to spend and you can't exceed that. Money that is saved in signing a rookie pick is eventually spent on Vet extensions or bringing in Vets who can help win.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
iceberg;2035207 said:

they didn't game the system to avoid paying the money, they traded down to get the player where they thought they could and they would go.
They still had already told the player he was their guy, then moved back so they could pay him less.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
I really don't think there is anything that the player or agent could do. Don't play if 20 million isn't good enough. Seeya.

But just for fun.......

Lets say it did happen. Miami drops back to 4 and takes the guy they want. Anyone think that any of the players who were officially taken at #1, #2 or #3 are going to step forward and say:

"You know what, Miami actually had the 1st pick so you should probably consider me to be taken 1 pick later and pay me less".

Not a chance in hell.

I like the move and hope they make it. Its smart. If the league doesn't want to do anything about the crazy amounts rookies are getting, leave it up to the teams to get the job done.

And here. This one is from the deepest parts of my conspiracy bag for all you conspiracy lovers out there.

Bill isn't actually planning on moving back. Hes doing Jerry a favor and trying to scare a certain high-paying Silver and Black team into thinking they will be paying more for their pick. Hows that for a monkey wrench in your plans Al. You thought you were going to be paying "X" amount for your pick, here try to pay for a little more. Bet you wished you hadn't gone out and paid out the butt for all that marginal talent. Meanwhile Jerry sits, he waits knowing that sooner or later Al is going to come through those doors on his Rascal Motor Scooter and beg for some sort relief. "Oh, trade with me, please" says the drooling old corpse. "I'll take anything, I don't care what it is. Package me up a 1st rounder of yours and throw in Coakley and you have yourself a deal"

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Thehoofbite;2035222 said:
I really don't think there is anything that the player or agent could do. Don't play if 20 million isn't good enough. Seeya.

But just for fun.......

Lets say it did happen. Miami drops back to 4 and takes the guy they want. Anyone think that any of the players who were officially taken at #1, #2 or #3 are going to step forward and say:

"You know what, Miami actually had the 1st pick so you should probably consider me to be taken 1 pick later and pay me less".

Not a chance in hell.

I like the move and hope they make it. Its smart. If the league doesn't want to do anything about the crazy amounts rookies are getting, leave it up to the teams to get the job done.

And here. This one is from the deepest parts of my conspiracy bag for all you conspiracy lovers out there.

Bill isn't actually planning on moving back. Hes doing Jerry a favor and trying to scare a certain high-paying Silver and Black team into thinking they will be paying more for their pick. Hows that for a monkey wrench in your plans Al. You thought you were going to be paying "X" amount for your pick, here try to pay for a little more. Bet you wished you hadn't gone out and paid out the butt for all that marginal talent. Meanwhile Jerry sits, he waits knowing that sooner or later Al is going to come through those doors on his Rascal Motor Scooter and beg for some sort relief. "Oh, trade with me, please" says the drooling old corpse. "I'll take anything, I don't care what it is. Package me up a 1st rounder of yours and throw in Coakley and you have yourself a deal"
Exactly right. If they never sign, they go back into the Draft and get picked lower. All they accomplish by their tantrum is to get less.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Hostile;2035210 said:
I think some would view it that way. I think others would see the savings in signing bonus alone, know that Miami got one of the 4 picks they wanted anyway, and be giddy about it.

Who cares what people thought of it. Since when has public perception ever been Bill's motive? He does what he wants and if you don't like it, tough.

Im praying for the move because like you said, it would be chaos and I want to see unfold.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Thehoofbite;2035232 said:
Who cares what people thought of it. Since when has public perception ever been Bill's motive? He does what he wants and if you don't like, tough.

Im praying for the move because like you said, it would be chaos and I want to see unfold.
Especially the part about Berman's head exploding.

adamknite

Reaction score
Agents are always trying to find ways to justify wanting more money. Remember when Phillip Rivers was holding out for 1st overall pick money, even though he was drafted at 4 by the Giants?

Miami shouldn't let what an agent might do hinder them from doing what they think is best for their team. The agent is going to try and milk as much cash from them as he possibly can regardless of how the Dolphins get to the 4th overall pick.

Just my two cents.

CaptainAmerica

Reaction score
Hostile;2035210 said:

I never said they couldn't do it. I actually brought it up in a thread a few months ago as a "what if". But the point of my argument today is that it's easy for us to discuss it on a message board. But, being the GM of the team with the #1 pick and trying to circumvent the system (because you simply don't want to pay a player #1 money and you can't get another team to take your position) with the League, the Player's Association and the media looking over your shoulder is an entirely different world.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
adamknite;2035238 said:
Agents are always trying to find ways to justify wanting more money. Remember when Phillip Rivers was holding out for 1st overall pick money, even though he was drafted at 4 by the Giants?

Miami shouldn't let what an agent might do hinder them from doing what they think is best for their team. The agent is going to try and milk as much cash from them as he possibly can regardless of how the Dolphins get to the 4th overall pick.

Just my two cents.
Yep. I also remember when our new Secondary Assistant Coach was drafted by the Saints as the first pick of the 2nd round (I believe) and his agent was negotiating with Jim Finks and saying he deserved 1st round money because he was better than some of the guys taken and New Orleans own draft board had him higher than those guys so they valued him more.

I remember Finks response was something like, "let's get real here, he was taken in the 2nd round."

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
CaptainAmerica;2035244 said:
I never said they couldn't do it. I actually brought it up in a thread a few months ago as a "what if". But the point of my argument today is that it's easy for us to discuss it on a message board. But, being the GM of the team with the #1 pick and trying to circumvent the system (because you simply don't want to pay a player #1 money and you can't get another team to take your position) with the League, the Player's Association and the media looking over your shoulder is an entirely different world.
Again...Greg Aiello's quote.

I get what you're trying to say, I just don't see it that way.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
iceberg;2035207 said:

To me, the most important thing any young player can learn is that this is about business. It's not personal. If it were personal, then said player would never be on a teams draft board. Now, having said that, it doesn't mean that it will not be viewed as such by the player. I guess the bottom line is that the player has to play if they want to get paid. I mean, if you look at this, all it means is that Rookie players would be able to look forward to the second contract more because theoretically, there should be more money available for them on there second contract.

jackrussell

Last of the Duke Street Kings
Reaction score
Hey whatever trips your trigger on how you want to build a relationship with your employees, more power to ya. At least you'll know where that biting sensation on your arse in a couple years is coming from.

But if anyone thinks this is going to do anything with the rookie's salary, St. Louis is the team that will be paying the #1 money, so nothing's changed.