And we think our FO is stupid

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yes, we do and we are right.

We celebrate when they don't do something stupid because of our conditioning and are glad that there is this cap space available but this is where it gets really tricky with the players coming up because just a couple of the wrong moves and that draft becomes the difference maker. They must stay out of that "too few players for too much money" situation that prevents building.

This past season was a bittersweet one. Coming back from 3-5 to win the East was special but how did they get to 3-5? Someone, and we'd like to lay that on Linehan and I don't, decided going into the season with that WR corps and a QB that struggled down the stretch was a good idea. That is the definition of stupid to me.

But we can celebrate that we're not the stupidest, can't we?

reddyuta

Reaction score
Raiders probably should have used that money on Defense,not sure AB can increase their win totals all that much when their D is dumpster fire.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Raiders probably should have used that money on Defense,not sure AB can increase their win totals all that much when their D is dumpster fire.
Gruden is an O guy, he inherited that D in TB, he wouldn't have built that. Few HC's would have traded Mack away and a former DC wouldn't think of it.

Building a D takes more time and Brown is an instant fix if his QB is as accurate as his previous QB. And Brown is a big plus on the practice field to show what looks to be a very young team how it's done.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Couch Coach is one of the smartest posters on this site. His stuff is often masked in humor but usually also loaded with some uncomfortable truth some Cowboys fans would rather not see or hear.
Thanks Bullet but I am used to that on this site. Quite a few ill mannered posters here and they're allowed to do that as they want. And I don't ignore posters because the ones that don't like me do make some very valid points....even about not liking me.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Chucky is literally destroying the Raiders. At this rate, they won't have a team worth watching at their new hometown of Las Vegas in another 2-3 years. What a huge mistake it was hiring Jon Gruden.
Could be, AC, but teams have been knocking on his door for a long time. And plenty of posters here have been mentioning him for years as a HC they want.

I wouldn't call it a mistake until it is. I am assuming he talked about what he would do when he was interviewed for the job and Davis, and he could be the real mistake, signed off on that plan.

And is it not fitting that the son of the man that loved WR's more than any owner in history would approve of bringing the best one to the team? His Dad is smiling down upon him. They've got the space for a couple of years and had drafts picks to spare and what are the odds at finding the difference makers past the top two rounds?

Last edited:

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Could be, AC, but teams have been knocking on his door for a long time. And plenty of posters here have been mentioning him for years as a HC that want.

I wouldn't call it a mistake until it is. I am assuming he talked about what he would do when he was interviewed for the job and Davis, and he could be the real mistake, signed off on that plan.

And is it not fitting that the son of the man that loved WR's more than any owner in history would approve of bringing the best one to the team? His Dad is smiling down upon him. They've got the space for a couple of years and had drafts picks to spare and what are the odds at finding the difference makers past the top two rounds?
Good points, CC. This draft will be very telling for Jon Gruden and the Raiders.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
28 Million a year..is there a reason to pay him this year? If there's no discount for pre-pay I'd wait
Getting the deal done a year early adds a year to the contract making his cap hits lower over the life of the contract. And QB contracts go up every year you wait.
It'd be best to get it done now.

lukin2006

Reaction score
Agree 1000%

20 TDS, 13 fumbles, 50 sacks is not 28 million dollar money, we will regret that

I think we will. The Cooper trade is the only reason Dak looked decent in the 2nd half of the season.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Why not wait and see the results on the field before we dump on the Raiders. To me, on paper, it looks like the Raiders traded Cooper for a 1st round draft pick then traded for AB, who is better than Cooper, for a 3rd and 5th. On paper it looks like the Raiders come out ahead. We are assuming AB will be a locker room problem, but that is not a certainty. I think some Cowboys fans just may not recognize what a team with a strong HC looks like. Gruden is showing he has total control of his team.
The Steelers created that locker room problem and their GM poured gas on it by calling Rothliesberger the man among boys on the team. No question, Brown is a diva but the best damned WR I've seen in a long time.

I agree, Gruden is asserting himself as Belichick of the west and sending the message who the boss is. I think the reason he hadn't returned to coach sooner was because no team was willing to give him the control he wanted, the reason Parcells left NYG and the reason Belichick walked on the NYJ job.

I agree, some of the decisions he's making are head scratchers but the man spent a lot of years tearing film apart on teams and players from that booth and he does have a pretty impressive track record. But he better have one hell of a good scouting department because his success is going to depend on how well they draft.

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
The Raiders, Commanders, and Cowboys are equally incompetent........to see that another FO does something stupid doesn't make me feel any better about our incompetent FO......our FO have been bad for nearly 3 decades, so considering that we still have full control of the bottom spot.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Getting the deal done a year early adds a year to the contract making his cap hits lower over the life of the contract. And QB contracts go up every year you wait.
It'd be best to get it done now.
I think the difference between what it will cost by waiting until after this season is a small price to pay to wait and be more certain that this is the best way to go.

The other part of this is what they put around him because he is not Tier 1 and will not likely be and getting back into cap trouble is a simple as a couple of bad decisions. Prescott, Elliott, Cooper, Lawrence, B Jones and J Smith are all going to want to get paid. This team had to let the best player on the team go to DEN because of some poor decisions on other players, they can get right back there very easily.

14% of the cap on this player at this time is a high risk move and one that not need be made at this time.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Raiders, Commanders, and Cowboys are equally incompetent........to see that another FO does something stupid doesn't make me feel any better about our incompetent FO......our FO have been bad for nearly 3 decades, so considering that we still have full control of the bottom spot.
Yep, that's like being on a blind date with a real dog and looking around to find uglier persons to make you feel better.

And what's funny is how we celebrate it when they're not totally stupid. Some consider they're drafting demons but are they really?

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
Yep, that's like being on a blind date with a real dog and looking around to find uglier persons to make you feel better.

And what's funny is how we celebrate it when they're not totally stupid. Some consider they're drafting demons but are they really?
:thumbup:

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Ten years head coaching contract at 100 million
( guaranteed ),,,I'd like to of thought there was some kind of employed method ,like compiling high draft picks by tanking and then busting loose in a big way once that franchise is firmly entrenched up in Vegas,,,but,,, it might be looking like his only "plan" is having no intention of coaching the full 10 years/be terminated ,while still getting paido_O
This brother man..