And we think our FO is stupid

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Eh, I don't think it is that bad of a deal.

Also, Gruden taking a lot of heat in this thread about his moves (and I will agree some are very curious), but, isn't Mike Mayock the new GM in Oakland/Las Vegas?
Yes, because Gruden wanted him there. He's there for talent evaluation for the youngsters more than calling the shots. With Gruden, that would be the same as NE having a GM.

I think the way he views this deal with Brown is if he's going to pay top dollar, he'd rather pay it to Brown rather than Cooper, who will get a sweet deal as well. And to top that off, he gets a 1st and gives up a 3rd and 5th.

I understand this deal and I think the Mack deal was a Belichick process. Gruden surmised what it would cost to keep a player like Mack and that would be a longer term deal and did what Belichick did with Collins and Jones only he got a 1st rounder. What we don't know was how long was Cooper being dangled as trade bait and did he hold out until the Cowboys were in desperation mode? And I don't fault them at all, I believe Cooper is worth a 1st and they needed a #1WR badly.

The other thing about his moves is he's in a division with two high octane offenses and some would think 'why not build the D to stop them' and I think he's more interested in building the O to stay with them. It is hard to build a D and keep it together because there are far better O players than D's.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Me too, but there will always be factions that stubbornly push the whole “Dallas’ FO is the worst” agenda.
Not the worst but far from the best and they could be better without the nepotism. I have never said Booger is the worst GM, only that there are better qualified people to do that with the time to devote to it full time.

I have little doubt that if he invested the time that most GM's have to devote to that job and the accountability they have, he would be a better GM. He's part time and only does the things he wants to do, not needs to do.

SlammedZero

Reaction score
Yes, because Gruden wanted him there. He's there for talent evaluation for the youngsters more than calling the shots. With Gruden, that would be the same as NE having a GM.

I think the way he views this deal with Brown is if he's going to pay top dollar, he'd rather pay it to Brown rather than Cooper, who will get a sweet deal as well. And to top that off, he gets a 1st and gives up a 3rd and 5th.

I understand this deal and I think the Mack deal was a Belichick process. Gruden surmised what it would cost to keep a player like Mack and that would be a longer term deal and did what Belichick did with Collins and Jones only he got a 1st rounder. What we don't know was how long was Cooper being dangled as trade bait and did he hold out until the Cowboys were in desperation mode? And I don't fault them at all, I believe Cooper is worth a 1st and they needed a #1WR badly.

The other thing about his moves is he's in a division with two high octane offenses and some would think 'why not build the D to stop them' and I think he's more interested in building the O to stay with them. It is hard to build a D and keep it together because there are far better O players than D's.
Fair enough.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
You just do not do this nonsense.
AS is a stud but he is 30 and the signs of major slippage are already there.
His catch% was the 2nd lowest of his career and his yards per catch are falling.

His peak seasons were now 3-4 years ago.

The guy was upset at usage when he was targeted 168 times in 15 games.... That is the 2nd most in the NFL And tied for most per game.

Unless they are a QB you never make a player the highest paid at his position post 30 years old.
And you definitely don't do it unless you know you have a franchise QB and SB contending team.

boysfaninMI

Reaction score
Chucky is literally destroying the Raiders. At this rate, they won't have a team worth watching at their new hometown of Las Vegas in another 2-3 years. What a huge mistake it was hiring Jon Gruden.

Oh HELL yes. 'Chucky' is an over the hill drunk. TEN mil per year? My god, Davis' kid is just a disaster as the owner of that team. Unmitigated disaster.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I am smart enough not to resort to personal insults. Guess that leaves you out, huh?
After @Bobhaze endorsed you, I realized I may be wrong to question you. But if you think my observations are personal attacks then maybe I was right to question you after all.

ESisback

Reaction score
Not the worst but far from the best and they could be better without the nepotism. I have never said Booger is the worst GM, only that there are better qualified people to do that with the time to devote to it full time.

I have little doubt that if he invested the time that most GM's have to devote to that job and the accountability they have, he would be a better GM. He's part time and only does the things he wants to do, not needs to do.

True, but doesn’t Stephen/McClay put in more full time hours nowdays?

kskboys

Reaction score
Just like Brown, the Raiders are paying premium for Grudens past performance with another team, one someone else built, and just like Chip Kelly, when allowed to GM, he will ensure that team is in the toilet until he gets fired. I still remember all the pundits incessant referral to Chip Kelly as “genius” and I see the same colossal train wreck coming for Gruden.
Oh, Gruden's a genius. Just not as a HC.

ESisback

Reaction score
To me, results are the final judge of everything a FO does. They should be judged on playoff wins not how much better they are compared to 2000, when they were giving up two #1s for Joey Galloway.

The results say the Cowboys FO has been below average the last two decades plus when it comes to success in the playoffs, which is supposed to be the bottom line of success. What depresses me is how satisfied our owner is with the way things have been. When you keep the same people in place without results to justify their employment, you’re credibility has to be questioned- not certified.

Hey Hazey, think the league gave Jerry the HOF treatment to feed his ego? If he thinks everything is hunky-dorry, why would he change his ways?

ESisback

Reaction score
Oh our FO is stupid.

Pointing at someone's warts doesn't mean yours just disappeared.

No, but you don’t win the division 2 out of the last three years being completely stupid either.

kskboys

Reaction score

To truly evaluate Booger as GM, you have to split up the facets. For instance:

1-10

Personnel: 2
Team building: 1
Loyalty: 9
Liked by players: 10
NFL knowhow: 1
Risk taking: 10
Drafting: 1

See, that's the problem. He's absolutely horrific at certain facets. You can say he's not the worst, but he is the worst at certain things.

kskboys

Reaction score
No, but you don’t win the division 2 out of the last three years being completely stupid either.
Yes, you absolutely can. Jerry is football stupid. He's gone out of his way to prove this many many times.

kskboys

Reaction score
Hey Hazey, think the league gave Jerry the HOF treatment to feed his ego? If he thinks everything is hunky-dorry, why would he change his ways?
Yes, that is a big part of it. They want to keep him in charge, because it increases their own chance of winning. Dallas hasn't seriously threatened for many many years.

ESisback

Reaction score
Yes, that is a big part of it. They want to keep him in charge, because it increases their own chance of winning. Dallas hasn't seriously threatened for many many years.

We’ve drafted well the last few years, AND we haven’t spent like drunken sailors in free agency either! Think they’re getting worried?

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
The difference in the raise in pay AB just signed up for doesn't even cover the taxes he will be paying in California, so there is no real raise going to him.

A real advantage we have in dealing for Thomas against SF.

The change in deductibility of state and local taxes will be reshaping the economy for years to come.

kskboys

Reaction score
We’ve drafted well the last few years, AND we haven’t spent like drunken sailors in free agency either! Think they’re getting worried?
Not yet. Our weakness on the DLine and at S will keep us from going all the way in all likelihood. The NFL breathed a sigh of relief when Jerry traded our 1st for a WR. Coop played well and we did need him, but quite simply we don't have the type of O talent to keep up w/ the big dogs. Until we understand that we absolutely must pressure the opposing QB in the playoffs, it won't matter. And to pressure them in the playoffs, you need a big, multitalented DLine w/ a deep rotation. And you must be able to stop stuff up the middle and off tackle, and you're going to have problems doing that w/ lanky pass rushers in the middle, not to mention killing your LB's.

Several big dudes are available. Get one.