And we think our FO is stupid

ESisback

Reaction score
From your post "NONE of these NFL executives are stupid. They are ALL highly intelligent, driven professionals..."

My point is that intelligence and qualifications are not really the differentiators. Emotions are what separate most great GMs/coaches from the average ones. Belichick probably doesn't have a higher IQ than Garrett; however, Belichick's desire to win defines his life and has made him very successful.

You’re assuming that Garrett’s just lukewarm about winning? Sure, emotions make a difference, but so does player execution, injury, officiating, and circumstance.

ESisback

Reaction score
It will be more than what Brown just got. Over $17 million a year for starters. And the longer this team drags its feet, the more it will cost.

Brown just bumped the market, and the Tyreek Hill deal will push it up even further.

Like the Lawrence deal, pay a little more now, or a lot more later.

I’ll bet he’ll get less than AB. I also think within the next year or two the Raiders will be having doubts about that giant contract, and those that rightfully dislike Brown will be chuckling.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I’ll bet he’ll get less than AB.

Less than $17 million a year? I don't think so. And less than $30 million guaranteed? Again i highly doubt that. To say nothing if the fact that Brown is a proven better receiver.

I also think within the next year or two the Raiders will be having doubts about that giant contract, and those that rightfully dislike Brown will be chuckling.

I think some fans are sure hoping that happens. If it does? It's all on Brown as he has nothing to complain about at this point.

If it doesn't? The Raiders hit a home run going from Cooper to Brown and netting a 1st round draft pick.

EST_1986

Reaction score
wait until the give Leveon Bell a similar deal lol, wished he coached the Eagles

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
True, but doesn’t Stephen/McClay put in more full time hours nowdays?
I don't know how they spend their time but would assume both would be able to devote more time than Booger and he is the boss. When you're the boss, you can be picky about what you do. The guy that Booger keeps the busiest is Rich Dalrymple.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't know how they spend their time but would assume both would be able to devote more time than Booger and he is the boss. When you're the boss, you can be picky about what you do. The guy that Booger keeps the busiest is Rich Dalrymple.

And this shill:
mickey-spagnola-180x180.jpg

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
After @Bobhaze endorsed you, I realized I may be wrong to question you. But if you think my observations are personal attacks then maybe I was right to question you after all.
When someone questions a poster's intelligence, that's not personal to you? But like I said, it's not an issue as I've seen others just call each other stupid here.

All comes down to the tried and true Rule of 10 in the sales game, Joe. You go to a cocktail party with 100 strangers there and your assignment is to meet and greet every one of them and attempt to engage them in meaningful dialogue for at least a minute before the end of the night. The Rule states 30 will like you, 30 will not and 40 will not have made their mind up yet. The target is those 40 undecided's, in sales just like politicians. Never waste time trying to make people like you that do not.

I am a pretty sarcastic poster and rely on the reader to discern that but that doesn't always happen. On the old DC.com, they considered putting sarcasm in purple so the reader would know. And I am not ripping on any readers, they're doing different things while they're here and can easily take something at face value.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
To truly evaluate Booger as GM, you have to split up the facets. For instance:

1-10

Personnel: 2
Team building: 1
Loyalty: 9
Liked by players: 10
NFL knowhow: 1
Risk taking: 10
Drafting: 1

See, that's the problem. He's absolutely horrific at certain facets. You can say he's not the worst, but he is the worst at certain things.
Yep, Belichick would get a 1 in Loyalty and maybe Liked by players. They like him what he can do for them but if there is a coach that retains the employer/employee relationship any better, I haven't seen him. And that doesn't make him a bad person, just the best at his job......getting the best out of others.

ksk, those 9's and 10's are because that's what he likes to do. He likes to talk about his best wells were the highest risk ones. If he's not gambling, he's not having any fun.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Who would turn down a 10 year 100 million dollar contract?
And I wonder what the others that failed to get his interest offered? Every year, his name popped up and he said he was staying until he wasn't.

That was the number thrown around when the rumors were flying around that the Horns were trying to get Saban. Talk about a HC that's got it made in the shade. They give him a raise every year and more coaches. They give a shot of his coaches booth upstairs and it looks like the Vienna Boys Choir.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
He has destroyed the Raiders but trade a 3rd and 5th for AB was a great trade.

They were coming off 6-10 when he took over, despite having Cooper and Mack. Obviously they had a lot of holes. They went 4-12, stockpiled picks, then got AB.

Too soon to say whether his plan has worked or not.

ESisback

Reaction score
Less than $17 million a year? I don't think so. And less than $30 million guaranteed? Again i highly doubt that. To say nothing if the fact that Brown is a proven better receiver.

I think some fans are sure hoping that happens. If it does? It's all on Brown as he has nothing to complain about at this point.

If it doesn't? The Raiders hit a home run going from Cooper to Brown and netting a 1st round draft pick.

More than 17 million? I doubt it. Cooper’s ego doesn’t make him as stupid as AB. He’ll take 17 or less and be happy with being filthy rich AND being surrounded by talent on a team with cap space. He likely realizes he’s not among the top 3 WR.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
More than 17 million? I doubt it. Cooper’s ego doesn’t make him as stupid as AB. He’ll take 17 or less and be happy with being filthy rich AND being surrounded by talent on a team with cap space. He likely realizes he’s not among the top 3 WR.

We'll see when we get there, won't we?

morat1959

Reaction score
When was the last time a team won the super bowl with a high priced top WR?
When was the last time we sniffed more than one game in the playoffs? Just because the Raiders FO sucks doesn’t mean ours has done much right the last 23 years. JJ has been a total embarrassment to us as a GM. The whole FO is clueless!

ESisback

Reaction score
When someone questions a poster's intelligence, that's not personal to you? But like I said, it's not an issue as I've seen others just call each other stupid here.

All comes down to the tried and true Rule of 10 in the sales game, Joe. You go to a cocktail party with 100 strangers there and your assignment is to meet and greet every one of them and attempt to engage them in meaningful dialogue for at least a minute before the end of the night. The Rule states 30 will like you, 30 will not and 40 will not have made their mind up yet. The target is those 40 undecided's, in sales just like politicians. Never waste time trying to make people like you that do not.

I am a pretty sarcastic poster and rely on the reader to discern that but that doesn't always happen. On the old DC.com, they considered putting sarcasm in purple so the reader would know. And I am not ripping on any readers, they're doing different things while they're here and can easily take something at face value.

So true CC! My biggest problem is getting over some super macho, internet dinkus that always needs to “win” the debate. His opinion is fact. Or those deadly serious Eeyores.

kskboys

Reaction score
I’ve gone on record, MANY times, saying Jerry was a meddling attentionwhore who screwed the pooch on a number of occasions. His pressers are often embarrassing, he takes too many chances, is too “loyal” to certain players, he undermines the coach, and has had numerous bad deal and bad drafts.

That said, while some are better than others, NONE of these NFL executives are stupid. They are ALL highly intelligent, driven professionals, and winning Super Bowls, especially in today’s environment with the myriad of variables, is much like achieving the perfect storm. Makes the Patriots of the last 15 years truly miraculous.
Jerry isn't stupid, but he's football stupid. Big difference. What you're describing is football stupid.

kskboys

Reaction score
From your post "NONE of these NFL executives are stupid. They are ALL highly intelligent, driven professionals..."

My point is that intelligence and qualifications are not really the differentiators. Emotions are what separate most great GMs/coaches from the average ones. Belichick probably doesn't have a higher IQ than Garrett; however, Belichick's desire to win defines his life and has made him very successful.
Absolutely, but there's different ways of being smart. Belly is a football genius.

kskboys

Reaction score
You’re assuming that Garrett’s just lukewarm about winning? Sure, emotions make a difference, but so does player execution, injury, officiating, and circumstance.
and personnel and schemes and blueprint

StuckMojo

Reaction score
When was the last time we sniffed more than one game in the playoffs? Just because the Raiders FO sucks doesn’t mean ours has done much right the last 23 years. JJ has been a total embarrassment to us as a GM. The whole FO is clueless!

I agree with you and I am afraid we will overpay Cooper and Dak.

kskboys

Reaction score
They were coming off 6-10 when he took over, despite having Cooper and Mack. Obviously they had a lot of holes. They went 4-12, stockpiled picks, then got AB.

Too soon to say whether his plan has worked or not.
Yup, that's what I was going to say.

While Gruden bombed big time on personnel back when he was HC of the Bucs, that was a long time ago, and it remains to be seen whether he learned his lesson or not.