And we think our FO is stupid

DFWJC

Reaction score
They traded away a non Diva for the leagues biggest Diva.. I find that so entertaining, Melon, that's good stuff right there bro.
I actually believed Chucky had a plan as well, this move is a headshaker move at best.
the deal was finalized late Saturday night.... maybe Chucky wakes up with a hangover and a few regrets?
Well, not exactly

They traded away
Cooper (only guaranteed to stay 1.5 years) and two lowly mid rounder picks
For
Brown (for 3 years) and a 1st round pick

The Steelers, btw, are eating a ton of the Brown cap hit....21 million worth

ESisback

Reaction score
Yes, you absolutely can. Jerry is football stupid. He's gone out of his way to prove this many many times.

I’ve gone on record, MANY times, saying Jerry was a meddling attentionwhore who screwed the pooch on a number of occasions. His pressers are often embarrassing, he takes too many chances, is too “loyal” to certain players, he undermines the coach, and has had numerous bad deal and bad drafts.

That said, while some are better than others, NONE of these NFL executives are stupid. They are ALL highly intelligent, driven professionals, and winning Super Bowls, especially in today’s environment with the myriad of variables, is much like achieving the perfect storm. Makes the Patriots of the last 15 years truly miraculous.

ESisback

Reaction score
Not yet. Our weakness on the DLine and at S will keep us from going all the way in all likelihood. The NFL breathed a sigh of relief when Jerry traded our 1st for a WR. Coop played well and we did need him, but quite simply we don't have the type of O talent to keep up w/ the big dogs. Until we understand that we absolutely must pressure the opposing QB in the playoffs, it won't matter. And to pressure them in the playoffs, you need a big, multitalented DLine w/ a deep rotation. And you must be able to stop stuff up the middle and off tackle, and you're going to have problems doing that w/ lanky pass rushers in the middle, not to mention killing your LB's.

Several big dudes are available. Get one.

I agree about the need for a strong DL. I’ll bet they go after DL in free agency, then draft a DT, S, and DE.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well, not exactly

They traded away
Cooper (only guaranteed to stay 1.5 years) and two lowly mid rounder picks
For
Brown (for 3 years) and a 1st round pick

The Steelers, btw, are eating a ton of the Brown cap hit....21 million worth

The Raiders 3rd was the 2nd pick in that round snd their 5th was the 3rd pick in that round.

The Cowboys pick the Raiders received was 1-27.

The equivalent of the picks the Raiders gave for Brown is 2-28 which is almost exactly 1 round later than the pick they received from the Cowboys.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I’ve gone on record, MANY times, saying Jerry was a meddling attentionwhore who screwed the pooch on a number of occasions. His pressers are often embarrassing, he takes too many chances, is too “loyal” to certain players, he undermines the coach, and has had numerous bad deal and bad drafts.

That said, while some are better than others, NONE of these NFL executives are stupid. They are ALL highly intelligent, driven professionals, and winning Super Bowls, especially in today’s environment with the myriad of variables, is much like achieving the perfect storm. Makes the Patriots of the last 15 years truly miraculous.

Intelligent people often make stupid decisions.

Emotions make some people's brain become dysfunctional.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not the worst but far from the best and they could be better without the nepotism. I have never said Booger is the worst GM, only that there are better qualified people to do that with the time to devote to it full time.

I have little doubt that if he invested the time that most GM's have to devote to that job and the accountability they have, he would be a better GM. He's part time and only does the things he wants to do, not needs to do.

How does someone really become qualified to be an NFL GM?

It much more than just scouting, especially in the salary cap era. Master scout/personnel-man Gil Brandt was not the GM back then.

Stephen Jones is more qualified to be a GM than guys like Mike Mayock.

FYI - SJones is functioning as the Cowboys GM. Jerry is only the GM when cameras are rolling. Jerry spend his work time on the business side of the Cowboys. The stadium alone is big business and everyone that does significant business with the Cowboys wants to meet with Jerry.

ESisback

Reaction score
Intelligent people often make stupid decisions.

Emotions make some people's brain become dysfunctional.

And stupid people make MORE stupid decisions. So what? Many things make brains become dysfunctional. What’s your point?

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And stupid people make MORE stupid decisions. So what? Many things make brains become dysfunctional. What’s your point?

From your post "NONE of these NFL executives are stupid. They are ALL highly intelligent, driven professionals..."

My point is that intelligence and qualifications are not really the differentiators. Emotions are what separate most great GMs/coaches from the average ones. Belichick probably doesn't have a higher IQ than Garrett; however, Belichick's desire to win defines his life and has made him very successful.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What do you think he should cost? What is a fair deal? I think something that pays him as a top 10 WR is fair to the team and the player.

It will be more than what Brown just got. Over $17 million a year for starters. And the longer this team drags its feet, the more it will cost.

Brown just bumped the market, and the Tyreek Hill deal will push it up even further.

Like the Lawrence deal, pay a little more now, or a lot more later.

Swanny

Reaction score
Chucky is literally destroying the Raiders. At this rate, they won't have a team worth watching at their new hometown of Las Vegas in another 2-3 years. What a huge mistake it was hiring Jon Gruden.
He has destroyed the Raiders but trade a 3rd and 5th for AB was a great trade.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Sometimes what we see as "stupid" is just mistaking aggression for stupidity.

What we are doing being cheap with our best pass rusher is the epitome of stupid.

There is virtually no franchise that has perfected the "smart way" other than the Patriots.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Sometimes what we see as "stupid" is just mistaking aggression for stupidity.

What we are doing being cheap with our best pass rusher is the epitome of stupid.

There is virtually no franchise that has perfected the "smart way" other than the Patriots.
Uhhh, the Patriots ARE CHEAP when it comes to paying their players.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Yes, but they have a smart person leading the cheap initiative. We do not.
True but this young team of ours has done pretty good the past 3 seasons. Above .500 every year, winning the NFC East Division 2 out of 3 years, hosting 2 playoff games, making it as far as the division playoff round twice, and winning 1 playoff game out of 3 in 3 years while still rebuilding this young team. All while being careful with the salary cap. I'd say this front office deserves some praise.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
True but this young team of ours has done pretty good the past 3 seasons. Above .500 every year, winning the NFC East Division 2 out of 3 years, hosting 2 playoff games, making it as far as the division playoff round twice, and winning 1 playoff game out of 3 in 3 years while still rebuilding this young team. All while being careful with the salary cap. I'd say this front office deserves some praise.
Praise for hitting their ceiling of the conference semi-finals, including squandering a home field advantage? Okay.