Video: And You Would Let 21 Walk

superonyx

Reaction score
the conundrum is paying any RB a 2nd contract.
the conundrum is letting Zeke walk and absolutely nobody fears this offense.
I believe the decision was already made when they decided to use the 4th pick in the draft on a RB. You just don’t use this pick, have the player exceed all performance expectations, have no injury concerns, show zero sign of slowing down, then let him walk because it’s his second contract.

Nfl teams can cut pretty much anyone anytime if their salary isn’t lining up with performance. The risk is smaller than some want to state.

Ive seen and heard absolutely nothing to lead me to think this decision is even a tough one for the team.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
I believe the decision was already made when they decided to use the 4th pick in the draft on a RB. You just don’t use this pick, have the player exceed all performance expectations, have no injury concerns, show zero sign of slowing down, then let him walk because it’s his second contract.

Nfl teams can cut pretty much anyone anytime if their salary isn’t lining up with performance. The risk is smaller than some want to state.

Ive seen and heard absolutely nothing to lead me to think this decision is even a tough one for the team.
I believe you are right, and Zeke will be the highest payed RB to have ever played this game.
This offense can not exist with an average RB, even with this superior grade OL, this offense requires an "elite" RB.
It rolls like this on build model/investment as far as priorities.
OL
RB
QB

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I believe you are right, and Zeke will be the highest payed RB to have ever played this game.
This offense can not exist with an average RB, even with this superior grade OL, this offense requires an "elite" RB.
It rolls like this on build model/investment as far as priorities.
OL
RB
QB
Why does this offense require an "elite" RB? Why can't they spend a 1st on a RB every 4 years? 5, if they use the option and he'll play for that.

What team has proven that an elite RB is a necessity? The Vikings never won jack with the best RB of his time.

As far as that superior grade OL, I think Shanahan disproved your point that the RB has to be elite.....and paid like it. Quality depth at RB is key and he made sure he had a stable of them.

So, let's assume you are going to pay Elliott his 15M a season, what are you doing with Prescott and Cooper, make this the highest paid triplets taking down the largest % of the cap in history? Already got a DE in the top 5 paid, think there aren't 2 LBs waiting to get paid and a CB? Not to mention that superior grade and paid OL.

Belichick's cap theory isn't about one player, it's about all of them that start lining up after one breaks the bank. Look at PIT. What NFL player doesn't have an inflated view of his value? Belichick didn't even take a run at Flowers, didn't even tag him because he knew the message he would send to the other players.

If they make him the highest paid RB to ever play the game, you will not see this team in a SB, maybe not even the playoffs in the next two years.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Pay the man! Pay the man! How many men do you want to pay what they want?

Ya know what this thinking is? I can't be overdrawn, I still have checks.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Why does this offense require an "elite" RB? Why can't they spend a 1st on a RB every 4 years? 5, if they use the option and he'll play for that.

What team has proven that an elite RB is a necessity? The Vikings never won jack with the best RB of his time.

As far as that superior grade OL, I think Shanahan disproved your point that the RB has to be elite.....and paid like it. Quality depth at RB is key and he made sure he had a stable of them.

So, let's assume you are going to pay Elliott his 15M a season, what are you doing with Prescott and Cooper, make this the highest paid triplets taking down the largest % of the cap in history? Already got a DE in the top 5 paid, think there aren't 2 LBs waiting to get paid and a CB? Not to mention that superior grade and paid OL.

Belichick's cap theory isn't about one player, it's about all of them that start lining up after one breaks the bank. Look at PIT. What NFL player doesn't have an inflated view of his value? Belichick didn't even take a run at Flowers, didn't even tag him because he knew the message he would send to the other players.

If they make him the highest paid RB to ever play the game, you will not see this team in a SB, maybe not even the playoffs in the next two years.
This is one of the best descriptions of the way I hope the FO is thinking. The pats have won 6 SBs without an elite RB. I know what’s coming...”Yeah but they have a great QB”. Yes they do.

But more importantly, they have a great HC who is an excellent talent evaluator and team builder. He uses all 53 players to win. Brady isn’t 5 times better than Aaron Rodgers, but he has 5 more rings than AR because he’s played for a great coach who builds great teams by never committing big amounts of cap space to RBs.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is one of the best descriptions of the way I hope the FO is thinking. The pats have won 6 SBs without an elite RB. I know what’s coming...”Yeah but they have a great QB”. Yes they do.

But more importantly, they have a great HC who is an excellent talent evaluator and team builder. He uses all 53 players to win. Brady isn’t 5 times better than Aaron Rodgers, but he has 5 more rings than AR because he’s played for a great coach who builds great teams by never committing big amounts of cap space to RBs.
He is the antithesis of Typhus' post that even a superior grade OL needs an elite RB. He drafted a RB last year as well as this year and keeps his utility back, James White, and he always seems to have one.

Some posters get all over Booger for playing favorites and loving his players when they're doing the same thing.

They can't pay everybody and no team has ever done anything with having their triplets in the top 5 paid in the cap era. Something has to give.

NotForLong

Reaction score
IF there was no salary cap there's no question everyone would want Zeke. But based on how cheap running backs are in the draft and how quick they have a impact on the game......its just not a smart way to use your salary cap.
Its Amazing how you consider the Best RB in the league is replaceable by an average Joe Shmoo. Meanwhile your QB ain't **** and you can't wait to overpay him. Based on QB's are hard to find. . . when are you gonna put 2 and 2 together and Realize its Zeke that can elevate a porous QB to franchise level

NotForLong

Reaction score
I’m not seeing how anyone has been proven wrong about Zeke. There are plenty of people, including the majority of NFL GMs, that don’t value the RB high enough to select one in the top 5-10 overall picks...or even the entire first round.

Zeke being a top running back doesn’t prove them wrong. They didn’t hold that opinion because they thought Zeke would ‘bust’.

When multiple teams start winning SB titles because of the high draft value they have placed on the RB position, then you can make such a conclusion. It’s a silly conclusion to come to now.
The pick was made to win Romo a super bowl. . . then the Dak Fiasco happened and the owner got cute. . . So as great as Zeke has been, its been a wasted pick . . . you don't draft aRB that high and pair him with an inadequate 4th rd QB

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Its Amazing how you consider the Best RB in the league is replaceable by an average Joe Shmoo. Meanwhile your QB ain't **** and you can't wait to overpay him. Based on QB's are hard to find. . . when are you gonna put 2 and 2 together and Realize its Zeke that can elevate a porous QB to franchise level
Where did I say any Joe Schmo could replace Zeke? Get out of your feelings. Jesus.....if your in your feelings about Dak save it. Tired of having a discussion about him when he has nothing to do with this thread.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
The pick was made to win Romo a super bowl. . . then the Dak Fiasco happened and the owner got cute. . . So as great as Zeke has been, its been a wasted pick . . . you don't draft aRB that high and pair him with an inadequate 4th rd QB
You just acknowledged he was drafted for Romo......then you say you don’t pair him with Dak as if they had a choice.

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score

With the GOAT at coach and QB, that is what's needed that the other 31 teams don't have, so they can't use the same blue print.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
With the GOAT at coach and QB, that is what's needed that the other 31 teams don't have, so they can't use the same blue print.
Yes you can. At least most of it. You don’t have to have the GOAT QB. The blueprint is to build a 53 man roster that wins as a team. Not 3-4 superstars the whole house of cards is built on. The 3-4 superstar model hasn’t worked in big D since ‘95.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score

Absolutely,, but again this offense the way its built, is run first, and you better have an elite back in order to function.
Despite all of Zekes negatives, all off field,,,, on field he is a beast.
The only way you keep a Zeke is high draft pick,, you can find functional RBs that will perform behind this top grade OL, but if you want to dominate according to the build, this roster requires elite RB talent.
Elite RB performance is required, or this will not work, and Moore will be called a failure.
I have come around,, despite all of Zekes bone headed off the field actions, he is more valuable than Dak, but we will pay both and that will totally kill other positions going forward, within the next 4-5 years.
You have to pick your poison.

Last edited:

Hadenough

Reaction score
Le’Veon Bell will be a good comp. We’ll see how he performs this year vs. Connor and if PIT made a mistake. Granted not a perfect comp because of year away. But letting Zeke play out his contract and franchising him once or twice might not be the worst idea. Compared to a big contract with guaranteed money for a guy who could get a year suspension at any time.
I think the idea of letting a very good RB walk is fine if you have a pretty good RB to fill his shoes and the Steelers actually had the RB and the chance for a trial run. That made the decision easy for them. Dallas maybe should try to draft Zekes replacement after this season in case he decides to hold out on the 5th year option. I think Zeke has a lot of good football in him but not the way they have been using him.

Hadenough

Reaction score

I like your reference to Shanahan but he is a coach that knows RBs and is very creative. The problem with Garrett is he gets by on talent not on coaching and when the talent level drops Garrett is gonna have to work harder. You mentioned Amari and Dak and I started thinking about when is the last time an elite WR won a SB. I was thinking Damarius Thomas of the Broncos but it was really the defense that won that SB. I think you have to go all the way back to the 2000 Rams. I wouldnt over pay Amari either!

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score

+1.....also remember we never heard FO talk about wanting a "quality" back-up RB until 2019 draft. Why......they know Zeke will get his second contract and wanna make damn sure there's not a repeat DeMarco Murray 2014.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
The guy finds trouble quicker than he finds daylight.
Always clamoring to be fed but leaves meat on the bone.
Spends more time in Goodell's office than in the end zone.
Let him walk, hell I'd make him run :lmao:

:popcorn:

Yeah another chit start to the season. Ugh!

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think the idea of letting a very good RB walk is fine if you have a pretty good RB to fill his shoes and the Steelers actually had the RB and the chance for a trial run. That made the decision easy for them. Dallas maybe should try to draft Zekes replacement after this season in case he decides to hold out on the 5th year option. I think Zeke has a lot of good football in him but not the way they have been using him.
I’m not always sure our FO has a well thought out plan regarding Zeke, whatever it may be. Jerry has said numerous times that he has “a lot of comfort with ambiguity”. Which is great if you’re a wildcat oil man. Not so good for an NFL front office.

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
Yes you can. At least most of it. You don’t have to have the GOAT QB. The blueprint is to build a 53 man roster that wins as a team. Not 3-4 superstars the whole house of cards is built on. The 3-4 superstar model hasn’t worked in big D since ‘95.

Since 95 there has been one common denominator to that year till now.