Video: And You Would Let 21 Walk

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
There are some pompous *****- I mean buttheads in this thread.

Lawd have mercy.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Teams have proven time and time again you don’t need the best backs in the league in order to win a ring. Philly, Pats, Ravens,Packers, Giants.......
You can win without an elite RB but having one significantly increases your odds.

Thomas82

Reaction score
Zeke is the best RB in the league and on a Hall of Fame pace and showing no signs of slowing down.
This is a run first offense.
The offensive line talent doesn't guarantee a great running game so you simply cannot just throw any run of the mill RB in the starting lineup

Say it loud for the folks in the cheap seats!!

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
If healthy the whole year (no suspension) and the OL, NO WAY in H--- Zeke runs for 1200 or less. H--- that is a terrible year for him. He should be over 1400 to 1600 or more yards easily. Unless our QB regress then that could hamper him.

Corso

Reaction score
Yep we did it 5 times Dallas always has great running backs when they win
That's it... I've had about enough of you.
Let's settle this the gentleman's way:
Lol... like I do anything like a gentleman!

You're awesome.

#KeepZeke

ksadler1

Reaction score
Power running backs don't last forever. That's why you let them go instead of plunking down big bucks for their extension.

Elliott is not your typical power RB like Barber was. Elliott doesn't take unnecessary hits or go out of his way to hit people. Everyone knew what was coming with Barber, it was no surprise. I'm not saying to sign Elliott to a long contract, but l have a feeling we'll regret letting him walk if that happens. JMO

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
Elliott is not your typical power RB like Barber was. Elliott doesn't take unnecessary hits or go out of his way to hit people. Everyone knew what was coming with Barber, it was no surprise. I'm not saying to sign Elliott to a long contract, but l have a feeling we'll regret letting him walk if that happens. JMO

This, this guy is no Barber, he was a one trick pony.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
It's the going rate.

The current top RB contract is 14.375M per.

Obviously it goes up each year, but the other positions increase every year also.

Current Max AAV
QB 35M
WR 18M
Outside Pass Rusher 23.5M
DT 22.5M
RB 14.375M
You guys y’all about how elite he is but then don’t want to pay elite prices. He will be the highest paid back in the league.

ksadler1

Reaction score
Barber was a solid all around back who played physical.

Absolutely, we all loved watching Barber's smash mouth style of football. But look at the result. He not only cut his football career short but probably his life too. Barber was not a smart football player. Elliott may be an idiot off the field at times but he plays smart football. He probably needs to quit jumping over people tho. That's going to bite him sooner or later...

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You can win without an elite RB but having one significantly increases your odds.
Sure. The fundamental question is, "is Elliott on a second contract an elite RB?"

None of us know the answer to that for sure. I personally find it highly unlikely that he will be, primarily because (a) almost all RBs fade significantly by their late 20s and (b) Elliott has already shown some signs of slowing down.

Remember, Emmitt Smith's last elite year came when he was 26. He had good-to-very-good years after that, but not anything I'd call elite.

The second contract would presumably cover ages 26-30 or so. I think the best case scenario is two "elite" seasons followed by three solid ones. Given that, I'd much rather franchise him for his age-26 season and then cut him loose for somebody else to overpay. I'd rather get rid of him one year too early rather than three years too late.

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
Absolutely, we all loved watching Barber's smash mouth style of football. But look at the result. He not only cut his football career short but probably his life too. Barber was not a smart football player. Elliott may be an idiot off the field at times but he plays smart football. He probably needs to quit jumping over people tho. That's going to bite him sooner or later...

This

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score

+1...just like DeMarco Murray. Many fans/poster forget FO aggressively pursued Murray for a return to the team AFTER letting him walk.

The bottom line for me......ELITE three-down backs are rare with three-down keyword(s). Remember reading a tweet from OC last year saying if you have one, play calling is much easier.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Sure. The fundamental question is, "is Elliott on a second contract an elite RB?"

None of us know the answer to that for sure. I personally find it highly unlikely that he will be, primarily because (a) almost all RBs fade significantly by their late 20s and (b) Elliott has already shown some signs of slowing down.

Remember, Emmitt Smith's last elite year came when he was 26. He had good-to-very-good years after that, but not anything I'd call elite.

The second contract would presumably cover ages 26-30 or so. I think the best case scenario is two "elite" seasons followed by three solid ones. Given that, I'd much rather franchise him for his age-26 season and then cut him loose for somebody else to overpay. I'd rather get rid of him one year too early rather than three years too late.
That’s why I’m for extending him now with a 4 yr contract where if he isn’t performing anymore after 3 yrs we can let him go.

Corso

Reaction score
That’s why I’m for extending him now with a 4 yr contract where if he isn’t performing anymore after 3 yrs we can let him go.
This is the real deal.
If that can happen, so shall it be done.