Video: And You Would Let 21 Walk

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Absolutely, we all loved watching Barber's smash mouth style of football. But look at the result. He not only cut his football career short but probably his life too. Barber was not a smart football player. Elliott may be an idiot off the field at times but he plays smart football. He probably needs to quit jumping over people tho. That's going to bite him sooner or later...
Naw I can't say he's not smart. That's unfair to do. He put everything he had on the line. 110% every single time. He left all he had on that field. Its all you are taught since you are a child. You leave it all out on that field. That's all Barber is victim of. A victim of leaving it all out on the field for our pleasure.

Elliot is just a different runner than Barber. Much more talented. But running out of bounds to avoid contact isn't necessarily smart. Its the right thing to do to persevere your body. Deion made "business decisions" and he as called soft for it.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I would trade him for a first rounder if possible.

He’s still a RB and he’s also a knucklehead.

He’s a beast though. I can’t deny that.

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
Naw I can't say he's not smart. That's unfair to do. He put everything he had on the line. 110% every single time. He left all he had on that field. Its all you are taught since you are a child. You leave it all out on that field. That's all Barber is victim of. A victim of leaving it all out on the field for our pleasure.

Elliot is just a different runner than Barber. Much more talented. But running out of bounds to avoid contact isn't necessarily smart. Its the right thing to do to persevere your body. Deion made "business decisions" and he as called soft for it.

Barber ran like Earl Campbell, it was fun to watch but took a toll on the after life of playing. I use to talk junk about Franco Harris tip toeing out of bounds but get it now because there are more important things than football.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Barber ran like Earl Campbell, it was fun to watch but took a toll on the after life of playing. I use to talk junk about Franco Harris tip toeing out of bounds but get it now because there are more important things than football.
Oh no doubt. I think we all in hindsight look at these guys different. I feel for a lot of them. Which is why I won't call them stupid for doing what they felt at the time was the right thing to do. I'm sure in hindsight they regret it.

ksadler1

Reaction score

There is a time to put it all on the line, and a time to say it's not worth another unnecessary hit. On 4th and one with the game on the line, you put it all out there. After a good 1st down gain with 3 defenders converging on you, you step out to keep from taking a hit. That's just smart football. I loved watching Barber play. I loved seeing him run people over. I loved his passion. I absolutely hate what it's done to him health wise, and mental health wise. What exactly does he has to show for it. Quality of life after football is the reason you play smart when you play. They can call Deion whatever they want. He walked away from the game with his health, several SB's and still being known as probably the best CB to play the game...

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Elliott is not your typical power RB like Barber was. Elliott doesn't take unnecessary hits or go out of his way to hit people. Everyone knew what was coming with Barber, it was no surprise. I'm not saying to sign Elliott to a long contract, but l have a feeling we'll regret letting him walk if that happens. JMO

Power back I'm talking your typical between the tackles, will take the short yardage carries kind of back. Not complete outliers like Brandon Jacobs or Barber. Murray and Emmitt qualify. Both of them purposefully avoided contact more than Zeke has, and Zeke purposefully sought contact more than both of them too.

I'd say Zeke even has more of the true car crashes than Barber. Barber would fight and struggle through people. But sometimes Zeke just turns himself into a battering ram at full speed to pound into people. In that case, it's better to be the hammer than the nail, but those big collisions shorten a career.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
There is a time to put it all on the line, and a time to say it's not worth another unnecessary hit. On 4th and one with the game on the line, you put it all out there. After a good 1st down gain with 3 defenders converging on you, you step out to keep from taking a hit. That's just smart football. I loved watching Barber play. I loved seeing him run people over. I loved his passion. I absolutely hate what it's done to him health wise, and mental health wise. What exactly does he has to show for it. Quality of life after football is the reason you play smart when you play. They can call Deion whatever they want. He walked away from the game with his health, several SB's and still being known as probably the best CB to play the game...

We are saying all of this in hindsight. Just now has this become a concern. I'm assuming me and you are saying this as adults. No one was thinking this 10 years ago.

Ken

Reaction score
Either he takes a 3 year, high per year average contract with a ton a guaranteed money now or he plays this year and is franchised next year and then allowed to walk.

Sorry..not buying this guy from a longevity standpoint. His running style and work ethic are not conducive to a long career, imo.

mcmvp

Reaction score
Nice try but no.
I guess teams have won multiple super bowls due to the drafting of a LT in the first round, or a LB in the first round.

The only position in football that any team will hold to this standard is a QB. There is not a single other position on the field that is even close..yet we don’t see 32 QBs drafted in the first round every year.

Here is the reality. If Zeke hit free agency there would not be more than 2-3 teams not interested in signing him and paying him as the top RB in the league. And the 2-3 teams who wouldn’t only wouldn’t because they already tied up money into their RB.

Zeke is the most impactful non QB in the league. The only other non QB that is even close would be Mack.

Thems the facts whether you like it or not.

I agree that the standard is held at the highest for QB. But that's basically making my point - the positions are ranked in value according to the philosophy of the GM putting the team together. QB would be #1 on all lists of course. Then it would go next to offensive/defensive linemen. Once you get past QB and linemen, there may be more variance in how GMs rank positions.

This isn't to say GMs don't value the RB position, it just ranks lower on the list of priorities for most.

And I disagree with your belief that 28-29 teams would be lining up to sign Zeke as the top RB in the NFL. Some would, not there's no way in hell that many teams would want to pay a RB, on a second contract, $15 million+ per season. RBs simply don't last that long.

This isn't a slam on Zeke, who I think is a top 2-3 back in the NFL, it's just the reality of how the league values other positions more in most cases.

superonyx

Reaction score
I agree that the standard is held at the highest for QB. But that's basically making my point - the positions are ranked in value according to the philosophy of the GM putting the team together. QB would be #1 on all lists of course. Then it would go next to offensive/defensive linemen. Once you get past QB and linemen, there may be more variance in how GMs rank positions.

This isn't to say GMs don't value the RB position, it just ranks lower on the list of priorities for most.

And I disagree with your belief that 28-29 teams would be lining up to sign Zeke as the top RB in the NFL. Some would, not there's no way in hell that many teams would want to pay a RB, on a second contract, $15 million+ per season. RBs simply don't last that long.

This isn't a slam on Zeke, who I think is a top 2-3 back in the NFL, it's just the reality of how the league values other positions more in most cases.
It’s your reality not the reality.
Team know that when you gameplan to play the cowboys you need to gameplan to contain Zeke. They know the defensive coaches are preaching all week in meetings to the opposing players that they must contain Zeke. This is the difference between Zeke and some 3rd round dime a dozen RB. He is a weapon and a threat every play he is on the field. Defenders don’t want to tackle him.

Give me another active RB in the world more likely to make the HOF than Zeke?
Teams will pay for this from a production and marketing perspective. He is loved by his teammates and coaches.

The good thing for us is he isn’t going anywhere. He is100% going to get his second contract and he will be the highest paid RB in the NFL like he deserves to be.
You don’t need to agree but my advice is to learn to accept it and enjoy your team.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
It’s your reality not the reality.
Team know that when you gameplan to play the cowboys you need to gameplan to contain Zeke. They know the defensive coaches are preaching all week in meetings to the opposing players that they must contain Zeke. This is the difference between Zeke and some 3rd round dime a dozen RB. He is a weapon and a threat every play he is on the field. Defenders don’t want to tackle him.

Give me another active RB in the world more likely to make the HOF than Zeke?
Teams will pay for this from a production and marketing perspective. He is loved by his teammates and coaches.

The good thing for us is he isn’t going anywhere. He is100% going to get his second contract and he will be the highest paid RB in the NFL like he deserves to be.
You don’t need to agree but my advice is to learn to accept it and enjoy your team.

Reality is he doesnt have to learn or accept anything, since you're wrong.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
the conundrum is paying any RB a 2nd contract.
the conundrum is letting Zeke walk and absolutely nobody fears this offense.

superonyx

Reaction score
Reality is he doesnt have to learn or accept anything, since you're wrong.
Oh yea genius. I see the Cowboys ready to move on from Zeke already. That must be why they drafted Tony Pollard. Or is Mike Webber the guy?

You may as well get used to it. He isn’t going anywhere so enjoy the next 5+ years of Zeke and Dak.

It’s crazy how so many cowboys fans live in fantasy land these days. Is this what happens when we have zero SBs since 1995 or are you just special?