Another Elite RB Goes Home Ringless

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
I'm still thinking there is something up with Gurley. Stay tuned this offseason.

As far as CJA not getting rolling either - that's just Belichick being Belichick, he takes away what you want to do the most.

The Rams offense is predicated around running the ball out of 11 personnel. Then that sets up PA out of the same look, Goff gets chunk plays, the run game keeps rolling as defenses back off. What Belichick did was put 5 men on the LOS for most of the game, which screwed with the Rams zone blocking because the OLs aren't expecting to line up head-up on a defender. They want to double or move to the second level, and he didn't let them do that, he made them execute a lot more 1 on 1s than they expected. The heavy fronts worked and jammed up the run game, and Goff just wasn't ready to carry the offense by himself even passing against favorable looks.

So it's not that "run game is devalued", it's "the greatest DC in history schemed to shut the Rams run game down, took his chances elsewhere, and won the bet."

In another interesting twist, the Pats apparently audibled on the fly to start calling heavy fronts on offense themselves. They literally went from a spread gameplan to beating on the Rams in 22 packages, based on what Josh McDaniels was seeing in game. Best coached team in football.

ATLANTA — Ten minutes left in Super Bowl LIII. (Or, as John Legend called it, the Super Bore.) Rams 3, Pats 3. New England had managed one field goal in 10 possessions. On the New England sideline, offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels had seen enough. He gathered his offensive players around him and explained that, in crunch time in the NFL championship game, he was ripping up the game plan.

The Rams’ defensive coordinator, Wade Phillips, had matched McDaniels’ calls all night. Mostly, the Patriots could do nothing against the Los Angeles sub defenses. Because the Rams’ front was so formidable with pile-pushers Aaron Donald and Ndamukong Suh, they could afford to play one or two extra men in the back end and limit Tom Brady’s passing options with three strong corners. So McDaniels told his men they were just going jumbo, which would force Phillips out of his sub packages and put linebackers on receivers the Patriots trusted could beat them.

McDaniels would keep only one small player on the field—Julian Edelman. And on the next series, he’d play two tight ends (the lightly used Allen and Rob Gronkowski), a fullback (James Devlin), a big back (Rex Burkhead) and Edelman.

DHCBF66

Reaction score
You mean their RB that put up 900 yards and some RB that is a JAG? Thanks for helping my point.

And no, their defense came through. I also remember Brady tossing some pretty passes to Gronk to get to the goal line. But let's ignore that for....narrative.
Sony my have had only 900 yards on the season but he also missed the 1st 3 weeks of the season AND he was the ONLY player to score a TD in the SB.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Sony my have had only 900 yards on the season but he also missed the 1st 3 weeks of the season AND he was the ONLY player to score a TD in the SB.

Yep. And he racked up 336 yards on 4.7 YPC and a whopping 6 TDs in the postseason. Doesn't look like a JAG to me.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Gurley sure didn’t look elite. In fact, other than the Cowboys game he hasn’t looked elite all year. Heck, the coach wouldn’t even play him much in the SB.
Gurley hasn't looked elite all year??? Did I imagine the 1251 rushing yards with 17 touchdowns and 59 receptions for 580 yards and 4 touchdowns for a total of 21 touchdowns? I must have a different idea of what elite is.....The guy is injured.

DenCWBY

Reaction score
Jerry will pay him because he is the mist predictable way of staying 'relevant '
This. Jerry falls in love with players like a bad manager falls in love with employees. You overpay at the wrong positions and your team loses overall. Dez is a prime example. The Pats go through RB's and WR like crazy and one sign of let down or not buying in and they are gone. A good manager puts the team before the players.

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
the cowboys of the seventies and nineties had several things in common really good defense really good qb and running backs and REALLY GOOD COACHING and the lines on the both sides of the ball were really good

mattjames2010

Reaction score

....he's not elite and you have absolutely nothing to back this up. Stop posting BS, it's a waste of time.

He had 5 games where he rushed below 4 yards a carry WITH 10 plus or more carries. He had 4 100 yard rushing games, a long of 64 yards.

There is nothing that suggests he is "elite" - not in terms of yards, ypc, TDs, receiving, etc.

You're reaching.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
I have no quarrel with you about skill positions
Neither about elite QBs

I'm all in on elite QB and building the trenches

If that was your point, why not make the title one of those instead of singling out RB?

Because this place is okay with paying Zeke and Cooper top dollar. Both contracts are coming up soon, and this place is 100% okay with "Zeke being our MVP!" like that means diddly crap in the passing era despite the patterns showing RBs do not, can not, and will not win you the big game. All evidence and the patterns throughout the current era of football show this, yet people are hard pressed on this due to Emmitt Smith winning us Super Bowls nearly 30 years ago.

I'm not exactly excited with having 2 players, one who hasn't played a full season for us, combined taking up 30+ mil in cap space while there is a chance we allow good to great defensive players go and never fixing up our defensive line.

Hardline

Reaction score
Wow!

The most recent name here is Emmitt, whose last win was in the mid '90's.

Anything more recent?
Every team thats won a super bowl didn't run 10 men out on offense. There was a RB out there contributing as well.
It's not a worthless position or there wouldn't be any . I can name an elite player at any position that failed to win a Super Bowl.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
....he's not elite and you have absolutely nothing to back this up. Stop posting BS, it's a waste of time.

He had 5 games where he rushed below 4 yards a carry WITH 10 plus or more carries. He had 4 100 yard rushing games, a long of 64 yards.

There is nothing that suggests he is "elite" - not in terms of yards, ypc, TDs, receiving, etc.

You're reaching.

He might not be elite but he is not a chump either. Granted at Georgia he was behind Chubb and Gurley (for one year) but that doesn't mean much given Chubb is a great RB and Gurley is elite..

sean10mm

Reaction score
Can you guess why he used 15 years as a starting point?

Because he's trying to distinguish the modern game from the game of the past?

Running backs have some value of course, but we just saw Bell throw a tantrum and his backup had similar production like nothing happened.

Jenky

Reaction score
Because this place is okay with paying Zeke and Cooper top dollar. Both contracts are coming up soon, and this place is 100% okay with "Zeke being our MVP!" like that means diddly crap in the passing era despite the patterns showing RBs do not, can not, and will not win you the big game. All evidence and the patterns throughout the current era of football show this, yet people are hard pressed on this due to Emmitt Smith winning us Super Bowls nearly 30 years ago.

I'm not exactly excited with having 2 players, one who hasn't played a full season for us, combined taking up 30+ mil in cap space while there is a chance we allow good to great defensive players go and never fixing up our defensive line.

You need players who can play though. Sure, you can let them walk and hope to find another Tom Brady and Belicheck, but odds are, you'll never find them and it will take years to find comparables.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
....and the team that has a new RB for every Super Bowl they get to gets their sixth trophy since 2000.

You either have a great QB that can put up a ton of points or you have a great defense to keep you in a game. It is not about the skill players, it's about the most valuable position and the trenches.

Stop handing out big contracts to highlight reel players that won't lead you to the ultimate goal. Slap Zeke with a couple franchise tags, hope and pray that Cooper takes some "Thank you for believing in me!" discount, and pay our freakin' defensive players.

The Rams pretty much took Gurley out of the picture themselves. The never committed to the running game. In any case, it is not, and never has been about any one thing or position or unit or player. It's the overall strength of each team combined with how well the coaches have planned and how well the players execute. There is no one set formula.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
Riggins to right, Riggins to left, Riggins up the middle. Touchdown.
Ya, He was a genuine Bullmongonie of footballish ferociousness, same with a Tom Rathman& a former COWBOYS #48 Darrell's Johnson,,,:omg:

visionary

Reaction score

You have to look at who is making the decision and why

Jerry just wants to stay 'relevant' and Zeke will get him that

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
100% agree. Oline, dline, qb and above all great coaching, that’s what wins in the NFL.