Another failure from the top down if Barber cannot go

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Angus;2462186 said:
Oh, I don't know, Hostile. It's a matter of percentages. If Barber wasn't used so much the opportunity for him to get hurt would be less.

It is all guesswork, but I don't think the best utilization of Barber has been used this year. Somebody earlier said he is not really an every down back, and I believe that. The Peter Principle has been at work.

:)
An "every down back" is a back who can make plays on 1st down, 2nd down, 3rd down, and 4th down. Barber has done that all year long. There are no other downs unless you are the Colorado Buffaloes versus the Missouri Tigers (sorry scottsp). That is college ball.

joseephuss

Reaction score
bbailey423;2462172 said:
the Steelers are 9-3....playing the toughest schedule in the NFL...and playing an assortment of RBs. Dallas needs to line up whomever they got that is healthy and play. They kept these guys around for a reason. So let's play them. And if the CANNOT play, then shame on the organization. I can't make it any more plain than that. In fact I think it was Greg Ellis who said "I like the way they do things up in New England, no one is crying and moaning about who is in and who is out, they just line up and play"

It seems as if you are the only one crying and moaning. Dallas is going out there and playing. They are going out there with what they need. At this point they don't think they need to call Coleman up to the active roster. Looks like they are prepared to play with what they have.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
khiladi;2462190 said:
Was Felix run into the ground when he got turf-toe? Last time I checked, Marion was on the field way more than Felix was, prior to Marion getting injured...
Oops. Yet another flaw in the theory found..

Swiss cheese is jealous of this thread.

cowboys2233

Reaction score
khiladi;2462190 said:
Was Felix run into the ground when he got turf-toe? Last time I checked, Marion was on the field way more than Felix was, prior to Marion getting injured...

Many of you are claiming that we should have used Felix more, which makes no sense. He is out for the season after playing the amount he did. And no, we wasn't run into the ground when he tore the tendon in his toe, but he missed four weeks because of a hamstring tear.

Are some of you suggesting that by playing him more, he would be healthy and able to contribute today? Who knows? But I think it's kind of funny that we are having a conversation about playing someone who is now out for the season due to injury.

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
So the front office failed in re-signing one of our key offensive players who is young, to boot. Then they failed by drafting another RB in round 1 and added another solid, similar style running back in Choice in the 4th round.

Huh.

Here's hoping they "fail" this offseason at OL, DL, and S much like they did at RB.

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
This all points mainly to the Head Coach, and his not liking to play rookies or first year players, granted rookies and first year players make mistakes, but if you play them they learn and you know if they can play or not.

Coleman has been on the team for 2 years now, you mean you as a Head Coach and Running back coach cant get him ready. Then, you head coach and running back coach arent doing your job.

As far as jerry jones and drafting dept, they did their job by getting and drafting felilx jones and choice. It was the head coach that let Lattimore go, but instead kept coleman. It was the head coach that has had George the linebacker on the practice squad, then you go and sign a player from the Commanders practice squad, and you lose george to the saints.

That all points to the head coach and coaches, not jerry jones.

khiladi

Reaction score
joseephuss;2462184 said:
Actually that shows more about the team than it does Barber. He has had fewer opportunities to run the ball in the 4th quarter this season than he did last year. Also, his 4th quarter stats were aided by a couple of long runs that kind of skew the numbers. He is performing very similar to what he did last year in the 4th quarter. He just has not broken free for a 40 yard or so TD run late in the game like he did in 2007. He has moved the chains.

Barber already has more 4th quarter receptions this season(13 for 160 yards) than last year(10 for 68 yards). His 4th quarter production is still there it is just distributed a little differently.

Actually, he did have like a 70 yard scramble against Arizona in the fourth, but I believe that was a short pass play...

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
cowboyjoe;2462200 said:
This all points mainly to the Head Coach, and his not liking to play rookies or first year players, granted rookies and first year players make mistakes, but if you play them they learn and you know if they can play or not.

Coleman has been on the team for 2 years now, you mean you as a Head Coach and Running back coach cant get him ready. Then, you head coach and running back coach arent doing your job.

As far as jerry jones and drafting dept, they did their job by getting and drafting felilx jones and choice. It was the head coach that let Lattimore go, but instead kept coleman. It was the head coach that has had George the linebacker on the practice squad, then you go and sign a player from the Commanders practice squad, and you lose george to the saints.

finally somebody gets it....and since I did not know who to blame I said organization....but this notion that Barber is the only RB on the team that should touch the ball is just stupid. And we don't know....but we are about to find out if anyone else can play....not because we WANT to find out...but because we HAVE to find out. And that is the part that bothers me. Felix has been out forever. I would like to THINK we have a plan in place Barber were to go down. If he is so hurt that he cannot practice...something tells me our PLAN was for Barber to NEVER get hurt.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
The Steelers have the "toughest schedule in the NFL?"

Texans, 5-7
Browns, 4-8
Eagles, 6-5-1
Ravens, 8-4
Jaguars, 4-8
Bengals, 1-10-1
Giants, 11-1
Commanders, 7-5
Colts, 8-4
Chargers, 4-8
Bengals 1-10-1
Patriots, 7-5

An opponents winning % of .420 is the toughest schedule in the NFL?

Add in the remainder of their schedule.

Cowboys, 8-4
Ravens, 8-4
Titans, 11-1
Browns, 4-8

That brings it up, but only to .476. Even if you don't calculate all of the other teams in the NFL won't common sense tell you that some teams have to face teams above .500? Or do you believe that everyone faces a schedule under .500? If so, how do you calculate that?

You can't even say the Steelers remaining schedule is the toughest in the NFL. It is a .646 % and ours is a .723.

This theory is replete with non facts.

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
Hostile;2462207 said:
The Steelers have the "toughest schedule in the NFL?"

Texans, 5-7
Browns, 4-8
Eagles, 6-5-1
Ravens, 8-4
Jaguars, 4-8
Bengals, 1-10-1
Giants, 11-1
Commanders, 7-5
Colts, 8-4
Chargers, 4-8
Bengals 1-10-1
Patriots, 7-5

An opponents winning % of .420 is the toughest schedule in the NFL?

Add in the remainder of their schedule.

Cowboys, 8-4
Ravens, 8-4
Titans, 11-1
Browns, 4-8

That brings it up, but only to .476. Even if you don't calculate all of the other teams in the NFL won't common sense tell you that some teams have to face teams above .500? Or do you believe that everyone faces a schedule under .500? If so, how do you calculate that?

You can't even say the Steelers remaining schedule is the toughest in the NFL. It is a .646 % and ours is a .723.

This theory is replete with non facts.
going into the season the Steelers had the toughest schedule in the NFL. Since you are so good with stats....go look that up and get back to me. http://www.theredzone.org/strength.asp

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
Maybe the "organization" should rotate the entire squad, linemen, qb, running backs, recievers, etc., waterboy, everyone, just in case someone gets hurt.

I mean, why leave all those valuable starters on the field so that they might get their toe stepped on, and someone else that does not have alot of reps has to come in and help? This is totally on the "organizxation"!

They should have yanked T.O. when he was crusing to over 200 yards because, well, he might get hurt and the Cowboys don't have anyone else!

Damn "organization"! Rotate the entire team...we don't want anyone to get hurt in this soft game of football.

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
this all goes back to camp cupcake and camp marshmellow, if the head coach had done his job properly, and worked the players, put them in situations to showcase their talents and see if they can play, then you would have backups ready to play

look at the giants like the person stated on this first post, the giants play their backup offensive linemen during the season, all 3 of their running backs.

What was it that wade phillilps said about choice, i dont trust him, then you wade did a poor job of getting him ready in key situations, when you could have inserted him in games, if the giants used all 3 of their running backs, so should have you good ole wade

but when you do a laid back atttitude, then so will your players, till their backs are to the wall.

this all points to the head coach and coaches

Zaxor

Virtus Mille Scuta
Reaction score
bbailey423;2462043 said:
For whatever reason, the Cowboys tried to run Marion Barber into the ground this season. Now with Felix Jones out for the year....and Marion Barber possibly out as well, the Cowboys are in panic mode about the RB situation. When you see teams like the Giants utilize 3 different RBs....when you see the Pats get down to the 4th back on their depth chart...when you see the Steelers utilize 3 RBs.....I could go on and on. But just like miscalculating the backup QB spot might cause us a playoff spot...so has the handling of the RB situation in Dallas. At the end of the day we are talking about a RB...not a QB....a RB. With the weapons we have at the receiver position..with the OL we have....how hard is it to have a couple of quality NFL players that can run the d*mn ball. I listed some teams that employ multiple...and there are plenty more. The ORGANIZATION decieded to go with rookies and a 1st time starter. So now is NOT the time to tell us these young guys are not ready. I mean you cannot keep RBs on your practice squad year after year if you do NOT think they can play. That is really not a position that should require a WHOLE lot of development. And if guys take longer than a year to figure it out you should move on to somone else. I liked the little I have seen from Coleman, so call the guy up and lets play.

where do you people get this crap from...:eek:

Let me guess...next we should have a backup waterboy just incase the other pulls a hammy or something from overuse...:lmao2:

joseephuss

Reaction score
khiladi;2462202 said:
Actually, he did have like a 70 yard scramble against Arizona in the fourth, but I believe that was a short pass play...

Yep, he did. That was a big 4th quarter play. If he was being over used he would not have been able to make such a big play. It is not as if he is a fast guy, yet he was able to convert a 70 yard play. Even without that one play he still has more receptions and receiving yards during the 4th quarter this year than he had all of last season and still has 4 games left to play.

It is a reach to look solely at Barber's rushing yards in the 4th quarter and say he is being overused. There is way more to the story.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
cowboyjoe;2462200 said:

He doesn't? Then why does Bennett have 4 TDs? Why have Scandrick and Jenkins both started football games and how did Jenkins score a TD? How did Felix and Choice amass 413 yards of rushing and 32 more yards of receiving and 434 yards of returns?

We have 5 rookies and I named contributions by every one of them.

Ya got anything else to add? Hopefully this time that is truthful and makes sense? I'm not Wade's biggest fan. I call him Tommy Boy, but my gosh, at least I'm not throwing crap against the wall hoping something will stick.

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
yep, thats just like we have doug free and mcquistan that havent played in spots in the games at all during the regular season;

that stinks, and is poor coaching

mcquistan, choice, and free could have played in the rams game when the cowboys were blown out, heck they even could have played in the giant blowout by the 4th quarter, did they no, why?

AbeBeta

Reaction score
bbailey423;2462209 said:
going into the season the Steelers had the toughest schedule in the NFL. Since you are so good with stats....go look that up and get back to me. http://www.theredzone.org/strength.asp

Toughest schedule going into the season?

That would be very important if the Steeler were playing the 2007 version of their opponents each week.

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
AbeBeta;2462220 said:
Toughest schedule going into the season?

That would be very important if the Steeler were playing the 2007 version of their opponents each week.
well they DO decide WHO you are going to play based on how you performed the year before...using your theory they should set the schedule on a weekly basis since that is the only thing that matters.