Video: Another proof Romo made made this putrid scheme look better than what it is

SlammedZero

Reaction score
Ok, let’s talk about his 2007 MNF game against Buffalo. He tied a record, he was only the second QB ever to throw 5 INT’s on MNF, 2 of which were returned for fumbles. He even lost a fumble to add the icing on the cake. Very impressive!

I can only imagine the reaction if Dak did that in his second year.

I don't believe at all that if Dak had a game like that he could recover and keep the team moving around the field to pull out a win. That was a tough game for Romo, sure, but it happens. I'm not a Dak hater either but I can tell the difference between the two. At least Romo took chances as a gunslinger. Dak comes across to me as more worried about his int stat line than he is trying to take chances down the field.

aria

Reaction score
Three things.

Did romo completely make up a play or did he call another garret play?

The quarterback has the advantage of being able to see the defense and adjust the call. The playcaller doesn’t have that option and all the good QB’s change calls. One instance means nothing.

People used to KILL romo because changed plays too often, especially away from running to passing plays.
That depends who you ask. Romosexuals will say it was his play and audible if it was successful, if not it was all coaching.

aria

Reaction score
I don't believe at all that if Dak had a game like that he could recover and keep the team moving around the field to pull out a win. That was a tough game for Romo, sure, but it happens. I'm not a Dak hater either but I can tell the difference between the two. At least Romo took chances as a gunslinger. Dak comes across to me as more worried about his int stat line than he is trying to take chances down the field.
So far, I don’t disagree with that at all.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
This video shows how Romo would call a new play at the LOS to make JG bad scheme work. Against 2014 playoff game against Detroit, two plays were called based on coverage they saw all game. When Romo saw that the coverage was looked different he called a brand new play "Tennessee" at the line.

This shows you Romo made the coaches look much better than they were. People who thinks we can just bring in a new QB and all will be fine are kidding themselves. Unless JG and his scheme is gone, we need a QB that is as good or better than Romo. Good luck with that. Nothing will really change much until JG is gone.

yeah, only room does that.... not rofdgers, he never changes plays at the line based on the defensive line up. not Brady, he won't dare, not Rothlisberger, he just has one play he runs, not Brees, he is not allowed to change plays at the line based on defensive alignment, we know Aikman was forbidden to do so. its a fact,

come on dude, all GOOD QBs do it, because they are GOOD. they see the defensive alignment. they adjust the receiver routes from the formation....and they are able to make accurate throws.

Dak doesn't see the field. doesn't see the defensive adjustment, can't make the right calls and even then, can't deliver the ball....

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
These threads are really making me want something bad to happen to romo. Like jesus christ he was an above average qb that can't hold field goal snaps, was unlucky as hell, and won 2 playoff games in a decade. He wasn't that good give it a rest. He won't even make the HOF. Stop worrying about a guy that could barely make it to work on a consistent basis.

The Natural

Reaction score
These threads are really making me want something bad to happen to romo. Like jesus christ he was an above average qb that can't hold field goal snaps, was unlucky as hell, and won 2 playoff games in a decade. He wasn't that good give it a rest. He won't even make the HOF. Stop worrying about a guy that could barely make it to work on a consistent basis.
:lmao2:

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
Three things.

Did romo completely make up a play or did he call another garret play?

The quarterback has the advantage of being able to see the defense and adjust the call. The playcaller doesn’t have that option and all the good QB’s change calls. One instance means nothing.

People used to KILL romo because changed plays too often, especially away from running to passing plays.
Used to kill him for taking so long pre-snap too.

The thing that's interesting to me is that Garrett said "We called Y-Option" as if that had been the original play call. The coach made no mention of the fact that the QB audibled out of the original play call based on his own pre-snap read that Witten would have single coverage. Garrett's description left everyone with the impression that the coaches had made a decision to trust Witten in that situation. Makes for a great story, but now we know they'd actually called a pass to Beasley or Williams, and that it was Romo who put his trust in Witten based on the chemistry between them -- with a play call that Garrett said should not have worked against a defense that allows the defender to play underneath.

In other words, Garrett not only left out the part about Y-Option not being the original play call, he let us believe that Romo tried to execute that call against a coverage that was unfavorable to it. In reality, Romo saw what the coverage was and knew a way to take advantage of it.

Big_D

Reaction score
They had WRs who could fight for the ball and a great TE and a quality QB who could extend plays. Hard to credit Garrett's ridiculous scheme when these players could've been productive anywhere. 90 percent of the time was the famous Romo spin.. you don't draw it up that way.

catiii

Reaction score
Used to kill him for taking so long pre-snap too.

The thing that's interesting to me is that Garrett said "We called Y-Option" as if that had been the original play call. The coach made no mention of the fact that the QB audibled out of the original play call based on his own pre-snap read that Witten would have single coverage. Garrett's description left everyone with the impression that the coaches had made a decision to trust Witten in that situation. Makes for a great story, but now we know they'd actually called a pass to Beasley or Williams, and that it was Romo who put his trust in Witten based on the chemistry between them -- with a play call that Garrett said should not have worked against a defense that allows the defender to play underneath.

In other words, Garrett not only left out the part about Y-Option not being the original play call, he let us believe that Romo tried to execute that call against a coverage that was unfavorable to it. In reality, Romo saw what the coverage was and knew a way to take advantage of it.
Not the first time the clapping clown has thrown someone else under the bus to take credit or deflect blame from himself.

Rajveer

Reaction score
I don’t think this theory can be questioned much anymore.

Tony was a classic enabler. He made it possible for Jason and Jerry to not change anything. Once he’s off the team reminding, explaining, actually showing a young qb how to get better and succeed we see the result.

I say this all the time. When so you ever see Jason sitting down with Dak looking at pics/plays and guiding him. Or anyone on the team for that matter. He does encourage them to do better(over and over) and that’s wonderful...

We often saw Romo sitting with him explaining the game. Coaching does matter and Tony knew that and was the ultimate coach.
If Jerry took a chance on a back up QB for a head coach and stuck with him while he learns the rope of a HC, then why not take a chance with a starter as your next HC? I know one that recently retired. :thumbup:

BIGDen

Dr. Freakasaurus
Reaction score
It kills me that those two never got to hoist the Lombardi together. An absolute waste of the best QB/TE combo ever. Both players were all-time greats and, unfortunately, these videos just make me sad.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It is karma.

Football is a team game. Throughout most of his career, Romo received most of the blame for practically every shortcoming the team suffered. Let’s be real. Romo made some huge gaffes during his career and primarily contributed to losses. True. Also true is that he was primarily blamed for failures his teammates were more responsible for committing.

The number one copout has been the quarterback (especially the starting Dallas Cowboys quarterback) is always criticized the most. If some people...

Fans
Media
Even peers of the sport

...would stop and evaluate what happens all four quarters of every game, this nonsense could be contained and made rational. Nope. Tunnel vision remains king.

Elimination games. Cabo. Slick K ball. Name it. “It” was “Romo’s fault”. The mountain of excrement flowed nonstop. Now he is no longer part of the equation. Guess what? His absence created a void underneath that mountain and and the enormous weight shifted JUST AS UNFAIRLY onto the next guy up.

The Romo Backlash (sounds like a new NFL rule lol) shall continue unabated. Karma. It could potentially worsen. Do not worry about something bad happening to Romo because of all the daily discussion melodrama that continues after he left Dallas. Bad happened. Romo’s injuries happened. Romo losing his starting position happened. Romo “got his”. In spades.

Yeah. It was meant as a joke but what additional “bad” should be heaped on top of Romo? Maybe hope he chokes on a crownie???

:p

/rant

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
It kills me that those two never got to hoist the Lombardi together. An absolute waste of the best QB/TE combo ever. Both players were all-time greats and, unfortunately, these videos just make me sad.
Yeh one showed up to work every day the other didn't. Romo was not an all time great. He never won an mvp and was never a top 5 qb except for maybe 2014. I knew from day one he would never win a super bowl. He never had "IT". Guy just wasn't a winner.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
It is karma.

Football is a team game. Throughout most of his career, Romo received most of the blame for practically every shortcoming the team suffered. Let’s be real. Romo made some huge gaffes during his career and primarily contributed to losses. True. Also true is that he was primarily blamed for failures his teammates were more responsible for committing.

The number one copout has been the quarterback (especially the starting Dallas Cowboys quarterback) is always criticized the most. If some people...

Fans
Media
Even peers of the sport

...would stop and evaluate what happens all four quarters of every game, this nonsense could be contained and made rational. Nope. Tunnel vision remains king.

Elimination games. Cabo. Slick K ball. Name it. “It” was “Romo’s fault”. The mountain of excrement flowed nonstop. Now he is no longer part of the equation. Guess what? His absence created a void underneath that mountain and and the enormous weight shifted JUST AS UNFAIRLY onto the next guy up.

The Romo Backlash (sounds like a new NFL rule lol) shall continue unabated. Karma. It could potentially worsen. Do not worry about something bad happening to Romo because of all the daily discussion melodrama that continues after he left Dallas. Bad happened. Romo’s injuries happened. Romo losing his starting position happened. Romo “got his”. In spades.

Yeah. It was meant as a joke but what additional “bad” should be heaped on top of Romo? Maybe hope he chokes on a crownie???

:p

/rant
Fact is he just wasn't as good as most cowboy fans think he was.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
The reaction for Dak would be exactly the same as for Romo assuming Dak after making all those mistakes still came back and won the game as Romo did (and yes with some help)
So Romo kicked the game winner. Gotcha.

CrownCowboy

Reaction score
This video shows how Romo would call a new play at the LOS to make JG bad scheme work. Against 2014 playoff game against Detroit, two plays were called based on coverage they saw all game. When Romo saw that the coverage was looked different he called a brand new play "Tennessee" at the line.

This shows you Romo made the coaches look much better than they were. People who thinks we can just bring in a new QB and all will be fine are kidding themselves. Unless JG and his scheme is gone, we need a QB that is as good or better than Romo. Good luck with that. Nothing will really change much until JG is gone.

Franchise Quarterbacks don’t just grow in trees. I’m pretty sure that the general consensus on the board is that Garrett and his staff are horrible and we need a change there.

There is not a consensus on Dak though. As for me, I know that he is not capable of doing what Romo just did in that video or being a franchise Quarterback. Not for this coaching staff or any.

Big_D

Reaction score
Yeh one showed up to work every day the other didn't. Romo was not an all time great. He never won an mvp and was never a top 5 qb except for maybe 2014. I knew from day one he would never win a super bowl. He never had "IT". Guy just wasn't a winner.

On a team full of players and coaches who didn't have IT. and still don't.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Fact is he just wasn't as good as most cowboy fans think he was.
“Most” is debatable, especially taking into consideration how vocal his most zealous critics have been. That aside, Romo is not ‘Hall of Fame good’ in my opinion. I do think Romo was good enough to play in or win a minimum of one Super Bowl. That was good enough for me personally.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
“Most” is debatable, especially taking into consideration how vocal his most zealous critics have been. That aside, Romo is not ‘Hall of Fame good’ in my opinion. I do think Romo was good enough to play in or win a minimum of one Super Bowl. That was good enough for me personally.
But he never came close. So.......

Big_D

Reaction score

If his GM wasn't a complete Dolt.