Another tackle... why??

Woods

Reaction score
I also read that he can also play some Guard (or projects well to Guard).

Anyway, I'm glad we're re-building the trenches.

I'd like to get a NT like L. Leonard and one decent DB, if possible.

Maybe we trade up into the 5th round?

Clarkson

Wonderboyromo
Reaction score
skinsscalper;1477966 said:
So I assume you think the secondary (you know the on that gave up more points and yards than ANY other team in the NFL over the last 6 games) is in tip top shape?

SS

:star:

I can give you one reason we had a secondary that did that.
1.No pass rush.
What did we do?
Address is big time.
A 4th rounder would NOT make our secondary better.
A first round pass rusher would.

BlueStar22

Reaction score
ilovejerry;1477965 said:
Whats to understand WE need WR not linemen !!!!;)

We still have Owens, Glenn, Crayton, Hurd, and Austin. I know Crayton is better than anyone esle they could draft on Day 2 and Hurd and Austin should be with a full year under their belts. It's kinda hard to find a #1 receiver for the future on Day 2.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
peplaw06;1477972 said:
I can't help but believe Wade and JJ believe we have someone who can play backup DT... Maybe Spears? And I think they're pretty satisfied with the personnel in the secondary.

These are sort of like luxury picks. I think Marten is going to be playing G/C, then Free at T, couple those guys with McQ and Proctor, and we have the makings of what could be groomed into an outstanding young line.

it seems to me that there are only a couple of guys who fit the Phillips mold for NT -- that being a HUGE player. Most of the DTs have been smallish.

NickZepp

Reaction score
He's a 2nd or 3rd round value at the end of the 4th round. I like the pick.

ilovejerry

Reaction score
BlueStar22;1477982 said:
We still have Owens, Glenn, Crayton, Hurd, and Austin. I know Crayton is better than anyone esle they could draft on Day 2 and Hurd and Austin should be with a full year under their belts. It's kinda hard to find a #1 receiver for the future on Day 2.

Dude im joking, Being sacastic, its for all the goons who want to draft a WR,

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
HomeOfLegends;1477942 said:
Fix the OL has been the cry for the last 4 years. We try to get bigger and younger and do just that and now everyone crys about it. I don't understand

Me either. You can NEVER have enough OL and we need players to fight for position. Depth at OL has been a HUGE problem for this team for years.

The STARTING OL has been a huge problem for years.

Load up the big bodies, I love it.

About time.

Silverstar

Reaction score
What exactly does Doug Free (Northern Illinois) bring to the table that Pat McQuistan doesn't?

Care to answer that all you geniuses out there?

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
big dog cowboy;1477955 said:
Flo will be gone after this year. We are tired of paying huge $$$ to free agent OL's. I don't get it. We don't take OL's and I see complaining. Now we do go OL and I see complaining.

What he said..........:signmast: .........and ........ :beer2:

Shotgun Dave

Reaction score
skinsscalper;1477953 said:
How much you willing to wager that Free doesn't start either and we still haven't addressed the defensive secondary? BPA my ***!

Dude, BPA doesn't mean they start day one. If you need an example, see Michael Turner behind LT in San Diego.

Adams is on the down slide in his career. Columbo signed a short term deal.

What's the problem here?

stealth

Benched
Reaction score
Silverstar;1477999 said:
What exactly does Doug Free (Northern Illinois) bring to the table that Pat McQuistan doesn't?

a ton more experience

NickZepp

Reaction score
Silverstar;1477999 said:

Doug Free has started 49 games and is a solid player. He was valued by some on the 2nd round. This is a good pick. I don't know if he's any better then McQuistan right now but he can come in and compete. Marten can play G or T. We have added depth at OL now.

This draft is addressing 2 of our biggest needs. OL depth and pass rush. We add an athlete that can play a number of positions and help us on special teams.

And we get a trade to give us a probable top 10 pick for next year.

Joe a Cowboys fan

Reaction score
Pat McQuistan played at a smaller school and was a starter for only one year. He may get looked at again later on.

skinsscalper

Reaction score
Wonderboyromo;1477977 said:
I can give you one reason we had a secondary that did that.
1.No pass rush.
What did we do?
Address is big time.
A 4th rounder would NOT make our secondary better.
A first round pass rusher would.

Ask yourself a question. When did the Cowboys defense collapse? It was when we had a starter on defense go down that we couldn't replace. Now ask yourself another. At what position on the team are we weakest when it comes to depth? If you answered DT then you're the winner.

If Fergueson goes down next year, we will be relying HEAVILY on that defensive secondary...........to stop the run. You're right, our "decimated" OL should really take priority here.

SS

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
If one of these guys pans out we are set at o-line...

Silverstar

Reaction score
stealth;1478008 said:
a ton more experience

Who freakin cares how many more games Free played in, we simply don't need another tackle. We have Adams, Colombo, McQuistan, Marten and Davis can swing tackle.

If anything, we needed a center or guard more than a tackle.

A dumb selection at #122.

scottsp

Reaction score
McQuistan is irrelevant. Get value wherever you can on day two.

Also, I see teams like New England pluck offensive linemen on day two every year. Hell, they would stockpile these guys. And they may not have necessarily needed them at the time they took those guys.

But players tend to get hurt...get old...move on. Whatever.

Offensive line has been a problem here for years now. Lining up prospects atop the draft board who happen to play up front is NOT a bad thing. In fact, it's very good.

Much better to get another tackle who is more likely to develop than a receiver who would be hardpressed to compete as our fifth wideout.

Regardless, they should continue to pound the board Ireland has assembled.

skinsscalper

Reaction score
Shotgun Dave;1478007 said:
Dude, BPA doesn't mean they start day one. If you need an example, see Michael Turner behind LT in San Diego.

Adams is on the down slide in his career. Columbo signed a short term deal.

What's the problem here?

I understand we aren'tlooking for starters, Dave. I'm just saying we have more pressing depth issues than OL. Don't get me wrong, I've been a Boys fan for as long as I can remember, and OL depth has been an issue inthe past. No doubt about it, I won't argue that for one minute. HOWEVER, the most PRESSING depth issue we have right now is at DT. WR? Ehhh, I could live with what we've got and the QB that we got ealrierin the 4th is projected at WR anyway. The whole DT thing scares the **** out of me though. If Fergy goes down we are TOAST.

SS

NickZepp

Reaction score
skinsscalper;1478090 said:
I understand we aren'tlooking for starters, Dave. I'm just saying we have more pressing depth issues than OL. Don't get me wrong, I've been a Boys fan for as long as I can remember, and OL depth has been an issue inthe past. No doubt about it, I won't argue that for one minute. HOWEVER, the most PRESSING depth issue we have right now is at DT. WR? Ehhh, I could live with what we've got and the QB that we got ealrierin the 4th is projected at WR anyway. The whole DT thing scares the **** out of me though. If Fergy goes down we are TOAST.

SS

Then we need to address the DT in free agency. A DT at this point just makes the roster if anything.

skinsscalper

Reaction score
NickZepp;1478103 said:
Then we need to address the DT in free agency. A DT at this point just makes the roster if anything.

A little late for that. What you don't address in FA you address in the draft. It's kind of the natural order of things. /sarcasm off/

SS