CFZ Another win against a non winning team, Cowboys look to lock up 5th seed

Kwyn

Reaction score
OLSFgj6.jpg
Yes, Seattle had a winning record heading into the game much like the Jets did in week 2. But now they are 6-6 and with SF and Phi in next couple weeks will possibly be 6-8. Throw in Steelers in a few weeks another Playoff caliber winning record team Seahawks could easily finish 8-9 with other remaining games against Titans and Cards.

But at least it was the best team we have beaten this season . We had to come from behind to get it done. A good but not great win.

I’m not sure it was the kind of dominating performance that provides us more confidence heading into our matchup with Egirls but certainly a good performance by offense. And defense while giving up 35 did make a stop to end the game.

We are now 3 games up ( lost column) in the 5th Wild Card slot with a very slim chance of winning division. It’s very possible once the division is officially lost and with the 5th seed locked we might be able to rest our stars the last game or two heading into the playoffs.

Phi would need to lose 3 more while we win out to overtake tiebreakers which unfortunately they own . Always possible but very unlikely.

I actually think it could be to our advantage if the division is locked up early as we lock up 5th seed. It places us in a better position to rest while the top 3 division winners are playing for higher seeds.

If Egirls lose next two games which I think is possible it sets SF up for #1 seed which the way they are playing expect them to win out. Either way they will continue to compete for top seed.

Cowboys could be the most rested team heading into playoffs . An advantage that could make a difference.

Yes, Seattle had a winning record heading into the game much like the Jets did in week 2. But now they are 6-6 and with SF and Phi in next couple weeks will possibly be 6-8. Throw in Steelers in a few weeks another Playoff caliber winning record team Seahawks could easily finish 8-9 with other remaining games against Titans and Cards.

But at least it was the best team we have beaten this season . We had to come from behind to get it done. A good but not great win.

I’m not sure it was the kind of dominating performance that provides us more confidence heading into our matchup with Egirls but certainly a good performance by offense. And defense while giving up 35 did make a stop to end the game.

We are now 3 games up ( lost column) in the 5th Wild Card slot with a very slim chance of winning division. It’s very possible once the division is officially lost and with the 5th seed locked we might be able to rest our stars the last game or two heading into the playoffs.

Phi would need to lose 3 more while we win out to overtake tiebreakers which unfortunately they own . Always possible but very unlikely.

I actually think it could be to our advantage if the division is locked up early as we lock up 5th seed. It places us in a better position to rest while the top 3 division winners are playing for higher seeds.

If Egirls lose next two games which I think is possible it sets SF up for #1 seed which the way they are playing expect them to win out. Either way they will continue to compete for top seed.

Cowboys could be the most rested team heading into playoffs . An advantage that could make a difference.

plasticman

Reaction score
So, when they talk about winning teams, they are referring to their final record at the end of the season? I don't think so.

That would make the entire issue irrelevent. I could then claim they ended up as a losing team, because the Cowboys beat hem and destroyed their will to compete.

You know, the Giants were going to make some noise this season but an opening loss by 40 points and a shutout completely changed the trajectory of the team, right? Why not?

What if the Rams, Giants, Jets, and Chargers go on a winning streak? Any one or two of them could end up with a winning season, making the entire premise of not beating a winning team fraudulent from the very start.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
I think it's reasonable that if a team came into the game with a winning record then it counts as beating a team with a winning record. The fact that you are the reason they are no longer a winning team should be a positive not a negative against you.

Vabchshark

Reaction score
The fact of the matter is, Dallas beat a good well coached Seattle team Thursday night! The narrative is always different somehow when Dallas plays a game like this, than when a team like Philthy does. Particularly when in the past, this is exactly the type of game Dallas would lose! I think the true fans as I have heard mentioned, have a right to be happy and positive about the win! I have not seen or heard a lot of SB talk, just cautious enthusiasm. Let fans enjoy a good win and see what happens next! It's ok to point out blemishes and things that need work, but there are also plenty of positives to take from that game on the offensive side of the ball! I was very impressed with the offense stepping up in a spotty defensive performance, to secure the win!

TheCritic

Reaction score
Never a fan of these "winning record" arguments. First of all, who's to say what kind of seasons the Giants, Jets or the Patriots might have had without being demoralized by the Cowboys. Wouldn't it be fair to say the Cowboys had a little something to do with those teams having a losing record? Sounds logical to me, yet try convincing any of these talking heads running at the mouth about the Cowboys being frauds.

Flamma

Reaction score

It's funny how this works. Dallas beat another non winning team. But had we lost, Dallas lost to another winning team. Gotta love it.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
It's funny how this works. Dallas beat another non winning team. But had we lost, Dallas lost to another winning team. Gotta love it.
Yep. And why these narratives are meaningless except to support such.

The Jets also has a winning record when we beat them . And I’d look for either or of the LA teams to possibly end up with a winning record. Prob the Rams .

Amazing how these narratives get under fans skin. The bigger point is to bring those fans back down to earth that until we can beat upper echelon teams we should pump the brakes on being a serious SB contender.

Flamma

Reaction score
Yep. And why these narratives are meaningless except to support such.

The Jets also has a winning record when we beat them . And I’d look for either or of the LA teams to possibly end up with a winning record. Prob the Rams .

Amazing how these narratives get under fans skin. The bigger point is to bring those fans back down to earth that until we can beat upper echelon teams we should pump the brakes on being a serious SB contender.
Good point on the Rams. Looking at their schedule, they could get in the playoffs over Seattle. IMO it's 3 teams in the NFC that are contenders for the SB. The team that gets the #1 seed is going to have a big advantage. They're only going to have to play two playoff games, and only play one of the other two contenders. That game will be at home.

As opposed to the 5th seed which will have to win three playoff games, and most likely have to beat both of the remaining contenders at their place. The difference is huge.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Doubtful but I hear you
I promise you in the 70’s and 90’s we didn’t have to deal with much noise. Lol

At least not until Jimmy was ran off. But by that time we were already considered greatest team of the 90’s.

Last edited:

Loso86

Reaction score
I promise you in the 70’s and 90’s we didn’t have to deal with much noise. Lol

At least not until Jimmy was ran off. But by that time we were already considered greatest team of the 90’s.
Lol that's because we didn't have social media then

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Lol that's because we didn't have social media then
We still had the media including radio, tv , newspapers , etc.

I assure you even in the 1960’s there was noise as we were coined “ next year champions”.

Meredith retired early frustrated with criticism . Danny White was constantly being ridiculed for not getting to Super Bowl.

And there’s only one way to silence the noise. Win. Which always cures all ills.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
We all know our owners dysfunctional ways are the core cause why we haven’t had more success this era.

But why do you think the focus of the noise and trolls isn’t on him. Because he has rings . I’m telling you Cowboy fans. Winning gives you a pass for life.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
I think this was a good win simply because it showed the players, the coaches, Jerry and even the fans that they are not as invincible at home as they believed.

As I always say, good teams find ways to win games. No asterisks. No if's or but's. Good teams find ways to win games.

Cowboys fans can call the Eagles lucky to win some of their games, but in the end, they are a good team because they found ways to win those games, just like the Cowboys did last night.

The league does not care who has the better team. The only thing that matters is scoring more points than your opponents.
You talk as if this is a team full of guys that have never lost a home game before.

They needed a close win to show they aren't invincible? What? lol

I think you're trying to make a bad defensive performance into weird positive.

Moral victories are not real.

We could shut out the Eagles next week or get dog walked by them and this game against Seattle will have zero impact on which of those will happen.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You talk as if this is a team full of guys that have never lost a home game before.

They needed a close win to show they aren't invincible? What? lol

I think you're trying to make a bad defensive performance into weird positive.

Moral victories are not real.

We could shut out the Eagles next week or get dog walked by them and this game against Seattle will have zero impact on which of those will happen.
I think there is no denying the defense got exposed in the Seahawks game, but since the Cowboys won the game despite their defense playing poorly it reminds them that they have work to do.

Those 20+ wins at home this season and the then-13 game winning streak likely had the team thinking as long as they play at home they would win, so hopefully the Seahawks game acts as a huge wake-up call for the entire team.

Pipelayer72

Reaction score
And after the Cowboys beat the Eagles the debbie downers will obsess over the early losses and use that as leverage as to why the team still 'really isn't that good'. The same types of people that can find a problem with any solution.

Loso86

Reaction score
We still had the media including radio, tv , newspapers , etc.

I assure you even in the 1960’s there was noise as we were coined “ next year champions”.

Meredith retired early frustrated with criticism . Danny White was constantly being ridiculed for not getting to Super Bowl.

And there’s only one way to silence the noise. Win. Which always cures all ills.
Well again I agree 90%. But here in Dallas regular season wins and playoff wins won't matter. SB wins is the ONLY that will shut even our fans up........Maybe!

HeavyBarrel

Reaction score
One of the best quotes of all time.... you are what your record says you are. The Cowboys record says they are a top team in the NFL. No more subjective garbage needs to be added.
In the parity era of the NFL this is absolutely true.