CFZ Another win against a non winning team, Cowboys look to lock up 5th seed

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I agree with you. But I also want to say this: what if the Cowboys do beat the Eagles, Bills, Dolphins, and Lions coming up? Will that guarantee they will roll right into the Super Bowl? No. Just like how losing to them doesn't guarantee they won't right the wrongs in the playoffs either.

I totally understand the gist but I also think we are getting too far ahead of ourselves. "One game at a time" is a cliche but it also is true.
No doubt it’s ultimately all about how we do in the playoffs.

But at least if we can beat a couple of these division leaders especially a known SB contender like SF or Phi only then can we seriously be in the conversation while dismissing this narrative .

And Thanks for getting the gist of my point.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I agree with you. But I also want to say this: what if the Cowboys do beat the Eagles, Bills, Dolphins, and Lions coming up? Will that guarantee they will roll right into the Super Bowl? No. Just like how losing to them doesn't guarantee they won't right the wrongs in the playoffs either.

I totally understand the gist but I also think we are getting too far ahead of ourselves. "One game at a time" is a cliche but it also is true.
No doubt it’s ultimately all about how we do in the playoffs.

But at least if we can beat a couple of these division leaders especially a known SB contender like SF of Phi only then can we seriously be in the conversation while dismissing this narrative

And Thanks for getting the gist of my point.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Im not afraid to deliver the bad news. Like a Buzz Killer. Brutal Honesty. The crap fans hate to hear. The truth always hurts.

I’ve been delivering it for almost 3 decades. I can’t wait to bring better news when it arrives. So far all we have received are teases. I’m ready to get past 2nd base and shoot my entire load.
You are not delivering the bad news. You are slanting the news to fit what you want to say. Seattle was a winning team before we beat them. Were the Seahawks the best team we're going to face? No, but there's no reason to call it "another win against a non-winning team," except to draw attention. It was really unnecessary to the rest of what you had to say, which was fine, and detracts from that.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
You are not delivering the bad news. You are slanting the news to fit what you want to say. Seattle was a winning team before we beat them. Were the Seahawks the best team we're going to face? No, but there's no reason to call it "another win against a non-winning team," except to get clicks.
All narratives are created to generate attention. We can certainly argue Seattle and the Jets had a winning record when played them.

Much like we can argue if the LA teams end up with winning records.

This narrative intent is to shoot down all of this SB Hype because we haven’t beat a SB Contender. Possibly not even a playoff team yet.

I’m as hopeful and cautiously excited this might finally be the year with reservations but I’d recommend pumping the brakes until further evidence is the gist of my effort here.

Praxit

Reaction score
Will get interesting if Philly loses the next 2.
..i can see Philly losing to Sea. I know Dallas is going to give them good game. Hopefully we get the calls our way.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Yes, Seattle had a winning record heading into the game much like the Jets did in week 2. But now they are 6-6 and with SF and Phi in next couple weeks will possibly be 6-8. Throw in Steelers in a few weeks another Playoff caliber winning record team Seahawks could easily finish 8-9 with other remaining games against Titans and Cards.

But at least it was the best team we have beaten this season . We had to come from behind to get it done. A good but not great win.

I’m not sure it was the kind of dominating performance that provides us more confidence heading into our matchup with Egirls but certainly a good performance by offense. And defense while giving up 35 did make a stop to end the game.

We are now 3 games up ( lost column) in the 5th Wild Card slot with a very slim chance of winning division. It’s very possible once the division is officially lost and with the 5th seed locked we might be able to rest our stars the last game or two heading into the playoffs.

Phi would need to lose 3 more while we win out to overtake tiebreakers which unfortunately they own . Always possible but very unlikely.

I actually think it could be to our advantage if the division is locked up early as we lock up 5th seed. It places us in a better position to rest while the top 3 division winners are playing for higher seeds.

If Egirls lose next two games which I think is possible it sets SF up for #1 seed which the way they are playing expect them to win out. Either way they will continue to compete for top seed.

Cowboys could be the most rested team heading into playoffs . An advantage that could make a difference.

did ya ever think that us beating them is one of the reasons that they are not a winning team?

gimmesix

Reaction score
All narratives are created to generate attention. We can certainly argue Seattle and the Jets had a winning record when played them.

Much like we can argue if the LA teams end up with winning records.

This narrative intent is to shoot down all of this SB Hype because we haven’t beat a SB Contender. Possibly not even a playoff team yet.

I’m as hopeful and cautiously excited this might finally be the year with reservations but I’d recommend pumping the brakes until further evidence is the gist of my effort here.
And I can live with that narrative. I just don't think you have to downplay us beating a winning team to establish it. Seattle gave us a good game. Beating the Seahawks neither establishes that we're going to have playoff success or be a playoff failure.

For me, you took the focus off that second part and put it on us only winning against a non-winning team, which was a winning team heading into our game. That was not your intention but that's what brought me into the thread and what I wanted to respond to.

Fizziksman

BanditHiro
Reaction score
And I can live with that narrative. I just don't think you have to downplay us beating a winning team to establish it. Seattle gave us a good game. Beating the Seahawks neither establishes that we're going to have playoff success or be a playoff failure.
yep the 2021 Titans are perfect example. Had like 8 wins against teams over .500 didn't matter against Burrow and the Bengals in the playoffs.

Praxit

Reaction score
You are not delivering the bad news. You are slanting the news to fit what you want to say. Seattle was a winning team before we beat them. Were the Seahawks the best team we're going to face? No, but there's no reason to call it "another win against a non-winning team," except to draw attention. It was really unnecessary to the rest of what you had to say, which was fine, and detracts from that.
Thing is Sea didn't match well with our defense. They have speedy receivers. Lewis and Gilly not fast. Bland is ok.
There OL did well against the pass rush.
They are similar to SF.
But yes, this was bonafide win for Dallas. A grindfelt slugfest, that they prevailed.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
did ya ever think that us beating them is one of the reasons that they are not a winning team?
Of course . And it’s possible they end up a winning team. Maybe even a playoff team. Best team we have beat thus far this year.

But positive threads don’t draw in the fans needed to drive my message home.

I had a thread yesterday recognizing our NFL record start this season and it was a ghost town.

coult44

Reaction score
Yes, Seattle had a winning record heading into the game much like the Jets did in week 2. But now they are 6-6 and with SF and Phi in next couple weeks will possibly be 6-8. Throw in Steelers in a few weeks another Playoff caliber winning record team Seahawks could easily finish 8-9 with other remaining games against Titans and Cards.

But at least it was the best team we have beaten this season . We had to come from behind to get it done. A good but not great win.

I’m not sure it was the kind of dominating performance that provides us more confidence heading into our matchup with Egirls but certainly a good performance by offense. And defense while giving up 35 did make a stop to end the game.

We are now 3 games up ( lost column) in the 5th Wild Card slot with a very slim chance of winning division. It’s very possible once the division is officially lost and with the 5th seed locked we might be able to rest our stars the last game or two heading into the playoffs.

Phi would need to lose 3 more while we win out to overtake tiebreakers which unfortunately they own . Always possible but very unlikely.

I actually think it could be to our advantage if the division is locked up early as we lock up 5th seed. It places us in a better position to rest while the top 3 division winners are playing for higher seeds.

If Egirls lose next two games which I think is possible it sets SF up for #1 seed which the way they are playing expect them to win out. Either way they will continue to compete for top seed.

Cowboys could be the most rested team heading into playoffs . An advantage that could make a difference.
Using your logic, the Eagles must be pretty bad. I mean they have only crushed one or two teams.

Diehardblues

Reaction score

For me, you took the focus off that second part and put it on us only winning against a non-winning team, which was a winning team heading into our game. That was not your intention but that's what brought me into the thread and what I wanted to respond to.
It’s not my narrative but I knew it might draw fans in so I could drive home my bigger message in why we should pump the brakes on SB Hype.

I started a very positive thread yesterday announcing our NFL record start and it fell off the front page quickly with no interest. Lol

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Using your logic, the Eagles must be pretty bad. I mean they have only crushed one or two teams.
You must have missed my intent. Actually the Egirls have won 13 consecutive regular season games against winning record teams I read.

gimmesix

Reaction score
It’s not my narrative but I knew it might draw fans in so I could drive home my bigger message in why we should pump the brakes on SB Hype.

I started a very positive thread yesterday announcing our NFL record start and it fell off the front page quickly with no interest. Lol
I've started plenty of threads that gained no traction while a sensationalist thread took off, including some that I put time and research into. I refuse to say outrageous things just to draw interest, though. I'd rather a thread disappear quickly than stooping to that level.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Nothing. My intent is not to dispel hope. As a matter of fact I’ve argued we should retain that hope as I do as well.

My issue resides more in the SB hype that all too often arises when we begin looking like we might have a team that can contend.

My objective is simply caution to pump the brakes on the hype until further evidence. Doesn’t mean we can’t retain hope but in a more subtle way especially when we have had so much disappointment this era.

Once we finally kick that door down then we can have the greatest jubilation in 30 years. And once we have proven ourselves worthy then we can begin talking like we belong to be mentioned with the Elite teams,

I’m old enough to remember what it’s like to be there. And we haven’t arrived yet. Patience Cowboy fans. Hopefully it’s coming soon.
I’m going to keep enjoying the wins. You use all the brakes you want. Better yet, shift down to 1st gear and save your brakes.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
First game that I have seen Dak finally put it all on his back and win, normally we lose this type of game.
Good job Dak, you took a while to get to the dance, but you finally showing up is all I care about.
2023 Cowboys are playing as a complete team, and we have not had that element in a very long time.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I've started plenty of threads that gained no traction while a sensationalist thread took off, including some that I put time and research into. I refuse to say outrageous things just to draw interest, though. I'd rather a thread disappear quickly than stooping to that level.
I didn’t think it was outrageous. Actually it was on point to the narrative that’s been like a burr in our socks. I just stirred it up.

I’m more disappointed no one wanted to discuss the second part of title in locking up 5th seed. Lol