Anthony Hitchens LB

Sydla

Reaction score
I agree. Telvin Smith and Caraun Reid sitting there and they start Undrafted free agency early. Like the rest of the picks, but this one has 09 draft written all over it.

This is pretty stupid, actually. Martin alone makes it nothing like the 2009 draft.

NJ22

Reaction score
This is pretty stupid, actually. Martin alone makes it nothing like the 2009 draft.

Actually you are pretty stupid for not reading the whole post. I said one pick was like 09.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Couple of things:

1) There are multiple reports that both the Niners and Seahawks were willing to draft him in the fourth. If you think we could have gotten them later you are wrong.
2) People complaining about drafting ST players need to watch the post draft press conference. They said they were out of the business of drafting special teams players. They would find developmental prospects and position players taht could play special teams.
3) People fail to understand the concept of mutual exclusivity. Sure Bissacia liked him but that does not mean that the defensive staff did not like him. A player can be good at both teams and a position.
4) Our special teams have improved significantly since Bissacia came on board. Why on Earth would you belittle his input when his arrival has helped us to win games?

Carry on with your handwringing because Kiper whoever you have do your ranking for you did not rank him highly.

Fuzzy, you've been a roll for the duration of this draft. I appreciate the "just the facts" approach.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If the 49ers or Seattle would've picked this guy everybody would be on their jock saying how great a find he was for them. Dallas picks him and he's a reach, give me a break. Kid is tough and can play who cares where he was drafted.

I think it is fair to say that if the 49ers or Seahawks took him, it would have been at the bottom of the fourth, practically the 5th. Not in the middle of the fourth after going a full round without a pick.

It would also be fair to say that the 49ers and Seahawks are in a better place to draft backup and ST players than Dallas who just came off a historically bad season on defense.

Just something to consider when saying...two other teams liked him...and that information is coming from a scout on Twitter that I have no clue if he has any information what they were thinking about in those two war rooms.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
I think it is fair to say that if the 49ers or Seahawks took him, it would have been at the bottom of the fourth, practically the 5th. Not in the middle of the fourth after going a full round without a pick.

It would also be fair to say that the 49ers and Seahawks are in a better place to draft backup and ST players than Dallas who just came off a historically bad season on defense.

Just something to consider when saying...two other teams liked him...and that information is coming from a scout on Twitter that I have no clue if he has any information what they were thinking about in those two war rooms.

If they drafted Telvin Smith (who didn't go until the 5th) or Caraun Reid (who didn't go until the middle of the 5th) or Kevin Pierre-Louis who the Seahawks took instead they still would be drafted to be backups. It's the 4th round, none of those guys are expected to start. They are expected to play STs and backup.

Aliencowboy

Reaction score
Couple of things:

1) There are multiple reports that both the Niners and Seahawks were willing to draft him in the fourth. If you think we could have gotten them later you are wrong.
2) People complaining about drafting ST players need to watch the post draft press conference. They said they were out of the business of drafting special teams players. They would find developmental prospects and position players taht could play special teams.
3) People fail to understand the concept of mutual exclusivity. Sure Bissacia liked him but that does not mean that the defensive staff did not like him. A player can be good at both teams and a position.
4) Our special teams have improved significantly since Bissacia came on board. Why on Earth would you belittle his input when his arrival has helped us to win games?

Carry on with your handwringing because Kiper whoever you have do your ranking for you did not rank him highly.

Drink yourself sick on the koolaid? Kiper? His own agent told him 6th round. As for the rumors of Seattle and 9ers, funny where comes from. Did u watch any games? If u bothered you'd see why he was surprised. Meanwhile, the brass has admitted he was drafted as insurance for Lee. Most feel they should go best player. Championship teams do not concede or give up in the fourth round

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Drink yourself sick on the koolaid? Kiper? His own agent told him 6th round. As for the rumors of Seattle and 9ers, funny where comes from. Did u watch any games? If u bothered you'd see why he was surprised. Meanwhile, the brass has admitted he was drafted as insurance for Lee. Most feel they should go best player. Championship teams do not concede or give up in the fourth round

They had the guy with a 4th round grade.

Eric_Boyer

Reaction score
I tend to stay out of these discussions because as fans, we don't know assignments, so we really can't evaluate a players performance. We sure as heck don't know when a player will truly be drafted either.

As a Hawkeye fan, I will only say this is a guy that was largely considered the weakest link of a very solid linebacker committee by those that follow the team. That he was benched in a season while leading the team in tackles only validated what we thought we were seeing.

but hey, someone else also with no understanding of assignments watched 4 of his tapes, and feel he is the best value pick of the entire draft...so we will see.....I'm certainly rooting to be wrong.

visionary

Reaction score
go listen to the call when he was picked,jerry says bassica laid on the train track for him then bassica tells him that he was picked because he knows a guy that vouched for him

not only that, we had 3rd round grades on the board but they went with this guy with the 4th round grade going against their board cause bassica wanted him

Quoted for truth

visionary

Reaction score
If they drafted Telvin Smith (who didn't go until the 5th) or Caraun Reid (who didn't go until the middle of the 5th) or Kevin Pierre-Louis who the Seahawks took instead they still would be drafted to be backups. It's the 4th round, none of those guys are expected to start. They are expected to play STs and backup.

If you think caraun Reid would be playing significant minutes or even starting you are mistaken

Hitchens will not get on the field unless lee goes down

BIG difference

speedkilz88

Reaction score
I tend to stay out of these discussions because as fans, we don't know assignments, so we really can't evaluate a players performance. We sure as heck don't know when a player will truly be drafted either.

As a Hawkeye fan, I will only say this is a guy that was largely considered the weakest link of a very solid linebacker committee by those that follow the team. That he was benched in a season while leading the team in tackles only validated what we thought we were seeing.

but hey, someone else also with no understanding of assignments watched 4 of his tapes, and feel he is the best value pick of the entire draft...so we will see.....I'm certainly rooting to be wrong.
I didn't watch Iowa. Could you tell me which player was Defensive MVP in 2013?

Aliencowboy

Reaction score
I didn't watch Iowa. Could you tell me which player was Defensive MVP in 2013?

He's not even the best MLB on the team (IOWA) lol you kiddin me?!

#44 James Morris Tackles: 106 Int:4 Sacks: 7 TFL 17.0 FF: 2
#31 A.Hitchens: Tackles 112 Int:1 Sacks:2 TFL 13.5 FF: 2

The coaches voted him MVP because he was a senior and there's an interview where he is surprised by it also. Look, I am sure he is a nice guy and high effort player but you are out of your depth and blinded by the shiny star. If you agree with their philosophy (drafting insurance and reaching for a player to cover earlier mistakes), you are more than welcome to take that position. However, others would have rather seen them take the best player that has a chance to be an impact player in the future.

Watch a game by the way. You'll like #44.