Anti-soccer blog post

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
jterrell;3442576 said:
That has nothing to do with the sport doing well here.

Which sport has the most kids playing it?
Which sport is growing the fastest on the high school and collegiate level?

Hockey and baseball have struggled with tv ratings for years. Soccer ratings are fairly good for games shown on over the air tv. Check the ratings they draw on the Spanish stations for instance ---i.e. the fastest growing population in the country.

Honestly who cares is a bunch of 40 year old dudes like a sport? That's immaterial because they are crappy consumers anyway. Soccer isn't going to surpass football, but it may well surpass other sports such as baseball and hockey in the next 10 years.

As we become a more global society the rest of the world's soccer passion will undoubtedly effect us.
You take peoples dislike of soccer way to seriously. People don't like stuff all the time. I'm sure you dislike stuff that other people like. To call them unintelligent because they don't like it is unintelligent in itself.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
jterrell;3442600 said:
ROFL. I am hardly defensive. I could care less what sport you enjoy. And I am pretty far from whatever a soccerphile is... if that is even a word.

OIC. All those insults and defamatory comments must have given me the wrong impression. :rolleyes:

I do recognize, and rather quickly, how stupid it sounds to say I pay attention every four years for 90 minutes and here's my take on why something sucks.

Now you just have to account for the 300 million other Americans who have watched more than one game but have failed to be enthused.

Coy

Reaction score
Doomsday101;3442361 said:
Because they can see it in prime time. No doubt there is excitement the US is playing in the world cup and doing very well so of course people will be excited. What happens after the world cup? do you think MSL becomes a major sports in American? If you do then I have some prime beach front Property in Nebraska to sell you. :lmao2:

First of all, it`s MLS (Major League Soccer) and second I never said that, in fact MLS sucks, but that was not the point I was making.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
bbgun;3442612 said:
"Elitist" implies a haughty attitude. Using a fancy adjective like "proletarian" doesn't rise to that level.

No, but it's misuse does bring a giggle.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
bbgun;3442617 said:
OIC. All those insults and defamatory comments must have given me the wrong impression. :rolleyes:

Now you just have to account for the 300 million other Americans who have watched more than one game but have failed to be enthused.

You show me 300 million Americans who have watched soccer and dislike it and I'll gladly concede the point.

In the mean time if you dislike soccer it's probably best you avoid soccer threads ... and also big words. I hate when I call people's intelligence into question and then they misuse a bunch of big words to prove me wrong... lol.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Doomsday101;3442614 said:
Yes Spanish station caters to whom? People from Mexico thus they speak in Spanish not English and their viewers are predominately Hispanic who the sport of soccer is very popular. As for TV ratings that is what brings in the money for sports that is how they are able to operate it is very big deal and MLS does not bring in allot of money hell the NFL lives off TV contracts that are over 1 billion dollars.

The major networks do not invest much to show soccer because there is little money in it. As for the World Cup you are right very big rating yet no different than the Olympics which is also every 4 years yet the individual sports that make up the Olympic do not draw big crowds or viewership any other time besides the Olympic games

Wow....

It must be nice to live on your planet.

Every station in America is trying to draw in Mexican-American audiences. Why? because of their population growth. The city of Dallas is predominately Hispanic and actually so by a wide margin.

As Soccer isn't shown over live air English broadcasts it becomes futile to discuss it's ratings versus sports that do.

Hockey and baseball have atrocious ratings by the way.

Basketball ratings are solid but only because the league pushed Boston and LA back to the top of the heap 3 years ago in separate, insanely one-sided, trades.

Ratings and what a professional sports league bring in financially is hardly equivalent to the sports viability. How many football leagues have failed now??

tecolote

Reaction score
I don't think soccer will ever be a major "stadium" sport in the US, but, as soon as you start exporting good players to the major european clubs, and you will, I think it can become a pretty popular TV sport for Champions League matches and such.

vta

The Proletariat
Reaction score
bbgun;3442612 said:
"Elitist" implies a haughty attitude. Using a fancy adjective like "proletarian" doesn't rise to that level.

But saying it's a game of commoners does. It's not the language, but the intent of the language.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
vta;3442664 said:
But saying it's a game of commoners does. It's not the language, but the intent of the language.

Good thing I didn't do that then.

ZeroClub

just trying to get better
Reaction score
Doomsday101;3442491 said:
MSL TV ratings suck, they are not drawing big viewership the avg crowds who attend in many cities are not that big. World cup is drawing allot of viewers but so does the Olympic games and when the games are over you don't see big viewership for skiing or track and field or swimming or ice skating people get caught up in the hype of the games

Yeah. The MSL isn't a particularly good product.

Soccer in the U.S. has one problem that's similar to professional boxing's -- the best product is generally limited to pay-per-view or premium subscription.

I believe that boxing would be more popular in the U.S. if championship fights were frequently broadcast on free TV / basic cable.

(I'm not saying that free TV would generate as much revenue; just that there'd be more boxing fans if more championship fights were available on free/cheap TV).

And maybe if Premier League soccer were available on free TV / basic cable, there'd be more soccer fans.

Broadcasts of relatively low level boxing or soccer matches (MSL) aren't going to generate or sustain much popularity for either sport.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
jterrell;3442642 said:
You show me 300 million Americans who have watched soccer and dislike it and I'll gladly concede the point.

Um, what do you think our antipathy is based upon, if not watching the games and forming an opinion? "Embrace our beautiful game YOU STUPID, INSULAR AMERICAN SWINE" is not a winning strategy.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
vta;3442664 said:

What about Lacrosse? I called a Walmart the other day and ask if they sold Lacrosse sticks and the guy replied. "What is Lacrosse?" :laugh2: They do not sell any Lacrosse equipment!

What makes this funny is this Walmart is right next to the town I live in which has won six straight High School Lacrosse championships. Lacrosse is huge in my town and a close by store that has a sporting good department doesn't sell equipment for the sport. There is a valid reason they don't too, but thats a different subject.

There is no such thing as a commoner sport. There are sports that are usually only played by more affluent people, but scoccer is a big sport here also. One thing I've learned is that being affluent doesn't make a man better in any way. There have be several occasions when I wanted to deck some rich snobby ******* that I commute on the train with. I've met people in the dirty ****hole I grew up in that were way better than some of these ****tards.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
jterrell;3442642 said:

In the mean time if you dislike soccer it's probably best you avoid soccer threads ... and also big words. I hate when I call people's intelligence into question and then they misuse a bunch of big words to prove me wrong... lol.

Shouldn't you avoid the anti-soccer post instead? :laugh2:

Why are some having so much problem with an anti soccer thread you guys act like we must like it because everyone else in the world likes it. There is another thread that is pro world cup why come in here and rag on those who do not care for soccer?

Doomsday101

Reaction score
ZeroClub;3442681 said:
Yeah. The MSL isn't a particularly good product.

Soccer in the U.S. has one problem that's similar to professional boxing's -- the best product is generally limited to pay-per-view or premium subscription.

I believe that boxing would be more popular in the U.S. if championship fights were frequently broadcast on free TV / basic cable.

(I'm not saying that free TV would generate as much revenue; just that there'd be more boxing fans if more championship fights were available on free/cheap TV).

And maybe if Premier League soccer were available on free TV / basic cable, there'd be more soccer fans.

Broadcasts of relatively low level boxing or soccer matches (MSL) aren't going to generate or sustain much popularity for either sport.

True. If I were to give any advice it would be market yourself better, keep the price of tickets low to help draw fans in and do a better job on local TV contracts as they do in MLB and NBA most cities show their local games on local TV stations.

You have to build a loyalty to a team and then hope you build a real fan base. Here in Houston we have one of the better teams in MLS yet they do not draw big crowds at the game when they are televised they do not get much in terms of ratings.

I do think there will be an initial spike in interest after the WC the hard part is taking that spike and sustaining it.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
bbgun;3442684 said:
"Embrace our beautiful game YOU STUPID, INSULAR AMERICAN SWINE" is not a winning strategy.
Plenty of people don't like baseball, but I just don't see baseball fans having the same types of reactions as soccer fans do when you don't like soccer. They are, without a doubt, the biggest reason why I will never give the sport another chance. I have tried it. I watched. I played. I don't like the game. It isn't personal. I have not slapped anyone in the face by saying "soccer sucks." I'm sorry to anyone that offends. My reaction to your beautiful game is very visceral. I just can't stand it.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
Hostile;3442725 said:
Plenty of people don't like baseball, but I just don't see baseball fans having the same types of reactions as soccer fans do when you don't like soccer. They are, without a doubt, the biggest reason why I will never give the sport another chance. I have tried it. I watched. I played. I don't like the game. It isn't personal. I have not slapped anyone in the face by saying "soccer sucks." I'm sorry to anyone that offends. My reaction to your beautiful game is very visceral. I just can't stand it.

The problem is that we're the sole holdouts on the global stage, which elicits a "You think you're better than us?" attitude from the soccerholics, not to mention a torrent of putdowns. Your reasons for rejecting the game will never satisfy them, no matter how articulately or intelligently you present them, so you might as well stop trying.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
MarionBarberThe4th;3442732 said:
And Nascar fans are Nobel prize winners?
I've never met a NASCAR fan who acted like soccer fans do. If you have, I don't know what to say. You're one up on me.