Anti-soccer blog post

Doomsday101

Reaction score
jterrell;3442484 said:
scattershooting:

I bet Czaban wished he had not written that article before the US beat Algeria. He looks pretty stupid now. Has anything in any other sport been as exciting as the goal Donovan scored for the US to advance? The beauty of so few goals is the ones you do get COUNT.

Soccer is alive and well in the US. In fact it is its most heavily played sport.

Americans are front runners. If the US team does well then you will absolutely see the sport do well following the World Cup. Not that it is struggling now.

If you are a parent and do not put your kid into soccer, you are probably retarding their own growth as an athlete. Their is no better sport for a young child to play. I coach two other youth sports but my best players are always soccer players. They have quickness, agility and are in great shape. They also understand spacing quite well.

I do not follow soccer year round or maintain a strong rooting interest outside team usa but I am thoroughly convinced the sport is quite easily the second best in existence.

How you feel about Soccer is almost an intelligence check. If you really dislike it you are completely ignorant of it. Czaban proves that with his whining and limited recognition. At the heart of it is incredible stupidity. How does one watch a game every year years and feel compelled to speak on it intelligently?

MSL TV ratings suck, they are not drawing big viewership the avg crowds who attend in many cities are not that big. World cup is drawing allot of viewers but so does the Olympic games and when the games are over you don't see big viewership for skiing or track and field or swimming or ice skating people get caught up in the hype of the games

Cythim

Benched
Reaction score
Doomsday101;3442491 said:
MSL TV ratings suck, they are not drawing big viewership the avg crowds who attend in many cities are not that big. World cup is drawing allot of viewers but so does the Olympic games and when the games are over you don't see big viewership for skiing or track and field or swimming or ice skating people get caught up in the hype of the games

Do you have some numbers to prove this or are you just spouting off things you think you know?

ethiostar

Reaction score
Until the quality of MSL games (and maybe also highschool and college) dramatically improve, which i don't see happening for a number of years, soccer will remain a marginal sport at best in the US. Even then, i don't excpect to see it displacing anyone of the top five major sports in this country.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Cythim;3442502 said:
Do you have some numbers to prove this or are you just spouting off things you think you know?

Check it out yourself, MSL rating are not even 1.0 Getting a little hateful because I don't like soccer or just spouting off? :laugh2:

You have reg season NFL game pulling in 14.5 and MSL is sitting at 0.6? Give me a break or at least get a clue it is not an American sport and it does not have a big American following it is a game played in the US by children whose parents are afraid they could get hurt playing football.

vta

The Proletariat
Reaction score
Hostile;3441737 said:
I do. I have not posted one snide comment in their World Cup thread. I don't even read it and roll my eyes. Bless them and may they have joy in their tournament.

Maybe you can rub some of that off on the knuckleheads that complain about soccer fans not understanding that some people don't like it.

The loons that why want to cry in a blog over it? Maybe not, but the casual complainer might see the inverse side of his complaint.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
ethiostar;3442505 said:
Until the quality of MSL games (and maybe also highschool and college) dramatically improve, which i don't see happening for a number of years, soccer will remain a marginal sport at best in the US. Even then, i don't excpect to see it displacing anyone of the top five major sports in this country.

I agree. One thing that could change that is as US Pro sports price tag continues to rise and people can't afford it any longer. I don't see that happening anytime soon but when you look at the rise of prices from where it was in the 70's to what we see today?

Example I went to the Super Bowl in 1976 we paid 35 bucks a ticket. Now days you will pay thousands

vta

The Proletariat
Reaction score
jterrell;3442484 said:
If the US team does well then you will absolutely see the sport do well following the World Cup.

:hammer:

Maybe not all, but there will be a slew of brand new soccer fans if the U.S. were to take it.

USA! USA! USA!

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
jterrell;3442484 said:
scattershooting:

I bet Czaban wished he had not written that article before the US beat Algeria. He looks pretty stupid now. Has anything in any other sport been as exciting as the goal Donovan scored for the US to advance? The beauty of so few goals is the ones you do get COUNT.

Soccer is alive and well in the US. In fact it is its most heavily played sport.

Americans are front runners. If the US team does well then you will absolutely see the sport do well following the World Cup. Not that it is struggling now.

If you are a parent and do not put your kid into soccer, you are probably retarding their own growth as an athlete. Their is no better sport for a young child to play. I coach two other youth sports but my best players are always soccer players. They have quickness, agility and are in great shape. They also understand spacing quite well.

I do not follow soccer year round or maintain a strong rooting interest outside team usa but I am thoroughly convinced the sport is quite easily the second best in existence.

How you feel about Soccer is almost an intelligence check. If you really dislike it you are completely ignorant of it. Czaban proves that with his whining and limited recognition. At the heart of it is incredible stupidity. How does one watch a game every year years and feel compelled to speak on it intelligently?

:rolleyes:

Condescend much? Did you really hope to covert skeptics by impugning their motives or intelligence? Czaban's main beef, i.e. an overall lack of scoring or opportunities for such, remains intact. Unlike yourself, most of his barbs were directed at the game, not its admirers. Try to show as much class.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Doomsday101;3442491 said:

That has nothing to do with the sport doing well here.

Which sport has the most kids playing it?
Which sport is growing the fastest on the high school and collegiate level?

Hockey and baseball have struggled with tv ratings for years. Soccer ratings are fairly good for games shown on over the air tv. Check the ratings they draw on the Spanish stations for instance ---i.e. the fastest growing population in the country.

Honestly who cares is a bunch of 40 year old dudes like a sport? That's immaterial because they are crappy consumers anyway. Soccer isn't going to surpass football, but it may well surpass other sports such as baseball and hockey in the next 10 years.

As we become a more global society the rest of the world's soccer passion will undoubtedly effect us.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
bbgun;3442531 said:
:rolleyes:

Condescend much? Did you really hope to covert skeptics by impugning their motives or intelligence? Czaban's main beef, i.e. an overall lack of scoring or opportunities for such, remains intact. Unlike yourself, most of his barbs were directed at the game, not its admirers. Try to show as much class.

His barbs were admittedly written after watching one game in four years.
That's really all you need to know.

The fact so many celebrate his drivel tells you why the rest of the world views Americans as complete idiots. Those who agree with him are completely willing to ignore the fact he has zero expertise on the subject at all.

Did my post hurt your feelings?

Doomsday101

Reaction score
jterrell;3442576 said:
That has nothing to do with the sport doing well here.

Which sport has the most kids playing it?
Which sport is growing the fastest on the high school and collegiate level?

Hockey and baseball have struggled with tv ratings for years. Soccer ratings are fairly good for games shown on over the air tv. Check the ratings they draw on the Spanish stations for instance ---i.e. the fastest growing population in the country.

Honestly who cares is a bunch of 40 year old dudes like a sport? That's immaterial because they are crappy consumers anyway. Soccer isn't going to surpass football, but it may well surpass other sports such as baseball and hockey in the next 10 years.

As we become a more global society the rest of the world's soccer passion will undoubtedly effect us.

Spanish station? Of course the game is big in Mexico but not in the US. Yes kids play it but people are not watching it they don't give a rats ars about it. The championship games can't pulling ratings hell the WNBA was pulling down better numbers. No doubt it is the most popular sport around the world but it is not big here if you can't deal with that then that is on you but the fact remains it is a 3rd rate sport in the US

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
jterrell;3442580 said:
His barbs were admittedly written after watching one game in four years.
That's really all you need to know.

That's right; it's the same game it's always been: low scoring, difficult to watch on TV, and proletarian.

The fact so many celebrate his drivel tells you why the rest of the world views Americans as complete idiots.

Then we must be doing something right. Hey, how come nobody asks for our opinion of "the rest of the world"? Quid pro quo.

Those who agree with him are completely willing to ignore the fact he has zero expertise on the subject at all.

What elitist garbage. Only "experts" are allowed to share opinions? Good thing that doesn't apply to football, otherwise hundreds of members would be of no use here.

Did my post hurt your feelings?

Not at all. It was as edifying as it was deranged. BTW, I'm not the one throwing a hissy fit at the first sign of dissent. Soccerphiles sure are defensive.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Doomsday101;3442584 said:
Spanish station? Of course the game is big in Mexico but not in the US. Yes kids play it but people are not watching it they don't give a rats ars about it. The championship games can't pulling ratings hell the WNBA was pulling down better numbers. No doubt it is the most popular sport around the world but it is not big here if you can't deal with that then that is on you but the fact remains it is a 3rd rate sport in the US

ROFL.

The Spanish stations shown here, over the air, not in Mexico....

And again, tv ratings are only an indicator of what sport can sell advertising on tv....

Overall number of people actually participating is a far more relevant indicator for a sports GROWTH.

Baseball has seen declining ratings for around 30 years. They have declined because less kids play baseball now than ever before.

Soccer was not even on tv a few years ago so it's ratings aren't declining at all.

In fact the overnight showing of the REPLAY of the US win over Algeria drew twice what the highest rated baseball game of the week drew.

Amazingly, baseball hasn't been disbanded....

TV ratings are about habits and can fluctuate. NASCAR rose quite high then tailed off a good deal. WWE was insanely good ratings at one point then tailed off dramatically. But football remains high because kids play it, parents invest in it and it still is the chief architect of high school popularity.

vta

The Proletariat
Reaction score
bbgun;3442594 said:
That's right; it's the same game it's always been: low scoring, difficult to watch on TV, and proletarian.

That's a pretty odd bit of characterizing when you are accusing of being elitist, don't you think?

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
bbgun;3442594 said:

Then we must be doing something right. Hey, how come nobody asks for our opinion of "the rest of the world"? Quid pro quo.

What elitist garbage. Only "experts" are allowed to share opinions? Good thing that doesn't apply to football, otherwise hundreds of members would be of no use here.

Not at all. It was as edifying as it was deranged. BTW, I'm not the one throwing a hissy fit at the first sign of dissent. Soccerphiles sure are defensive.

ROFL. I am hardly defensive. I could care less what sport you enjoy. And I am pretty far from whatever a soccerphile is... if that is even a word.

I do recognize, and rather quickly, how stupid it sounds to say I pay attention every four years for 90 minutes and here's my take on why something sucks. I truly dislike many many games. I can't offer any real insight into them as I avoid them. I certainly don't author posts celebrating my ignorance.

I played college rugby for all of 1 game. I disliked it. I have never stated anything about it all though because i know I am completely ignorant of the sport.

I played collegiate football and my 1 game of rugby. I played flag football competitively for years after that. I coach basketball and football. I have absolutely no attachment to soccer other than the fact it is a great sport for our kids and less ignorance by their parents would be a quite positive thing.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
vta;3442599 said:
That's a pretty odd bit of characterizing when you are accusing of being elitist, don't you think?

Not really. The fact that soccer is a relatively low-cost game that can be enjoyed by the poorest of the poor is not in dispute.

vta

The Proletariat
Reaction score
bbgun;3442601 said:
Not really. The fact that soccer is a relatively low-cost game that can be enjoyed by the poorest of the poor is not in dispute.

No, but in a list of supposed marks against it is.
I just think it odd you'd list that as a form of justification for it's unpopularity in the states.

I don't think that plays any part in it.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
bbgun;3442601 said:

big polo fan huh?

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
vta;3442606 said:
No, but in a list of supposed marks against it is.
I just think it odd you'd list that as a form of justification for it's unpopularity in the states.

I don't think that plays any part in it.

"Elitist" implies a haughty attitude. Using a fancy adjective like "proletarian" doesn't rise to that level.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
jterrell;3442598 said:
ROFL.

The Spanish stations shown here, over the air, not in Mexico....

And again, tv ratings are only an indicator of what sport can sell advertising on tv....

Overall number of people actually participating is a far more relevant indicator for a sports GROWTH.

Baseball has seen declining ratings for around 30 years. They have declined because less kids play baseball now than ever before.

Soccer was not even on tv a few years ago so it's ratings aren't declining at all.

In fact the overnight showing of the REPLAY of the US win over Algeria drew twice what the highest rated baseball game of the week drew.

Amazingly, baseball hasn't been disbanded....

TV ratings are about habits and can fluctuate. NASCAR rose quite high then tailed off a good deal. WWE was insanely good ratings at one point then tailed off dramatically. But football remains high because kids play it, parents invest in it and it still is the chief architect of high school popularity.

Yes Spanish station caters to whom? People from Mexico thus they speak in Spanish not English and their viewers are predominately Hispanic who the sport of soccer is very popular. As for TV ratings that is what brings in the money for sports that is how they are able to operate it is very big deal and MLS does not bring in allot of money hell the NFL lives off TV contracts that are over 1 billion dollars.

The major networks do not invest much to show soccer because there is little money in it. As for the World Cup you are right very big rating yet no different than the Olympics which is also every 4 years yet the individual sports that make up the Olympic do not draw big crowds or viewership any other time besides the Olympic games