Anti-soccer blog post

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
rkell87;3443051 said:
2. Ridiculous Name

Soccer? Seriously? The biggest obstacle to soccer’s popularity in the US may well be its name. You can’t have two sports by the same name, unless you want to see Eddie Johnson pick up the ball and then do his customary dash up the pitch and then look around all confused as opposition defenders pile up on him.

Soccer. Sawker. I feel dumber just saying it. It’s called football, and unless the American people learn to call it by it’s real name (come to think of it, Australians have their Austrian Rules footy and they still call the beautiful game football), it’s not going to be successful.
soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer

Bigdog

Reaction score
tecolote;3443112 said:
Goosebump city. This is a truly amazing video, no soccer in the video, I promise.

[youtubehd]jbn3rOPmR9w[/youtubehd]

thank you for posting this. You are right- goosebump city. I do not know if my heart can take these close games though.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
bbgun;3443124 said:
http://img193.*************/img193/5049/88193571.jpg

:D
I spent 2 minutes trying to get the damned video to work only to finally realize you and your stupid graphics skills had punked me. It's like when trickblue told me to click this link. I trusted him and I trusted you.

Now excuse me. I gotta go to the ER and get the knife removed from my back. You had to make me some punk wearing a jersey after I have been your ally in this thread? Are you French?

SaltwaterServr

Blank Paper Offends Me
Reaction score
tecolote;3443112 said:
Goosebump city. This is a truly amazing video, no soccer in the video, I promise.

[youtubehd]jbn3rOPmR9w[/youtubehd]

That's absolute gold right there. You weren't kidding about the goosebumps. Me thinks the camera man got distracted from 1:00 to 1:02. I would have also.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
Hostile;3443386 said:
I spent 2 minutes trying to get the damned video to work only to finally realize you and your stupid graphics skills had punked me. It's like when trickblue told me to click this link. I trusted him and I trusted you.

Now excuse me. I gotta go to the ER and get the knife removed from my back. You had to make me some punk wearing a jersey after I have been your ally in this thread? Are you French?

:muttley:

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
If it weren't for the World Cup, where would Americans see hair like this?

Gervinho_2276444.jpg

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
peplaw06;3443517 said:

Gervinho_2276444.jpg

I think that is why Americans don't like soccer! :laugh2:

Coy

Reaction score
Hostile;3443386 said:

:lmao2: :lmao2: Great one Hos.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
Hostile;3443386 said:

That's nothing. My dad forgot to peel the fake, plastic map off his dashboard GPS device. He couldn't understand why he always seemed to be in the same place no matter where he drove. Yep, this is the man who sired me. http://img168.*************/img168/5295/1060v1ejpg.gif

http://img189.*************/img189/9672/morecloslier.jpg

Doomsday101

Reaction score
MarionBarberThe4th;3443581 said:
I laugh, but Im also glad Im not related to these guys. At least in the NBA theres some charm to it

hGOzG.gif

They bump shoulders and he holds his nose? :laugh2:

Put a dress on these guys.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
peplaw06;3443517 said:

Gervinho_2276444.jpg

How does Augustus Hill play soccer in a wheelchair? :laugh1:

vta

The Proletariat
Reaction score
You got it mixed up: Lacrosse is upper crust, The Wal-Martians are the proletarians. :D

They wouldn't know lacrosse from Foie Gras.

nyc;3442691 said:
What about Lacrosse? I called a Walmart the other day and ask if they sold Lacrosse sticks and the guy replied. "What is Lacrosse?" :laugh2: They do not sell any Lacrosse equipment!

What makes this funny is this Walmart is right next to the town I live in which has won six straight High School Lacrosse championships. Lacrosse is huge in my town and a close by store that has a sporting good department doesn't sell equipment for the sport. There is a valid reason they don't too, but thats a different subject.

There is no such thing as a commoner sport. There are sports that are usually only played by more affluent people, but scoccer is a big sport here also. One thing I've learned is that being affluent doesn't make a man better in any way. There have be several occasions when I wanted to deck some rich snobby ******* that I commute on the train with. I've met people in the dirty ****hole I grew up in that were way better than some of these ****tards.

vta

The Proletariat
Reaction score
bbgun;3443616 said:
Designate? Yes. Denigrate? No.

nyc;3443661 said:
Some people take designations as a denigration. ;)

Well... when citing a list of marks against a thing, a designation present certainly reads as a denigration. The word was used as a negative to explain a particular dislike. In light of accusing someone of being an elitist, it's a pretty poor choice of wording.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Soccer will never be a dominant sport in America

(CNN) -- Millions of Americans are currently enthralled with the performance of our USA soccer team in the 2010 FIFA World Cup, as evidenced by the eruption of cheers that went up with when Landon Donovan scored a goal in the final minutes of the match against Algeria.

His winning goal has been hailed as a watershed moment in American sports history, and "futbol" fans are predicting he will be talked about years from now in the same breath as Hank Aaron, Joe Namath, Bobby Orr and Wilt Chamberlain.

Sorry folks, it's just not going to happen, -- despite the praying by CNN's United Nations correspondent, Richard Roth, to make it so.

It's not that I detest soccer/futbol, but the reality is that Americans have not taken to the sport. As a native Houstonian, I sport the gear of the Houston Rockets, Texans, Astros and my Texas A&M Aggies (Houston has the largest concentration of Aggies), but the MLS (Major League Soccer) Houston Dynamo didn't make the cut.

Every year I hear fans say that "it's just around the corner" or "this is the year" or "the moment has arrived" when soccer is accepted along the lines of football, baseball and basketball. To be honest, even the National Hockey League has suffered immeasurably, and judging by TV ratings, the lack of a major TV deal, and limited stars well-known to non-hockey fans, it's safe to say it is no longer viewed as one of four major team sports.

There are myriad reasons why soccer hasn't caught on, but no one can say it's because of the a lack of interest among the nation's youth. Millions of kids nationwide play the sport, from inner cities to the suburbs. Yet once they become teenagers, soccer falls by the wayside and the interest shifts to baseball, football and basketball.

There have been several attempts at launching a major professional sports league, and the latest is the MLS, which has been around since 1993. The league has valiantly tried to reach the big time, but it has struggled, largely catering to its small but loyal audience.

If you walked into any sports bar in America, and those there had to choose which games to watch, the National Football League, the National Basketball Association, Major League Baseball, the PGA Tour or the National Hockey League, would all likely win out over MLS.

Although I'm not personally a soccer fan, I've watched a few minutes of the World Cup. But it simply hasn't been a "must see" for me like the Ryder Cup or even the Olympics.

And to be honest, the Olympics is probably the greatest comparison in terms of measuring the interest of soccer to American fans. Every four years we go nuts over our "amateur" athletic stars. We cheer wildly when the U.S. bobsled team wins gold; love to see our track stars fly around the oval; and are enthralled with gymnastics. But once the Olympic Games have ended, we store our "USA! USA!" chants for four years.

I consider myself to be a huge track fan, and would love to see it on TV more, but the reality is that in other parts of the world, track stars are treated like Kobe Bryant and LeBron James.

Yet if Usain Bolt walked through a mall anywhere in America, he might get a few stares, but he wouldn't be bombarded with autograph requests for photos, even though he is the Kobe of the track world right now.

So soccer/futbol fans worldwide, don't take it as insult that Americans don't worship soccer the way you do. Everyone has their likes and dislikes. That's really just fine. You do you, and we'll do what we do.

As for the World Cup, I'll be cheering for the Donovan-led U.S. team to do well, while flipping back and forth to the NFL and NBA cable channels, pining for my two favorite sports to return in the fall.

It's just the American in me.

The opinions expressed in this commentary are solely those of Roland S. Martin.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/OPINION/06/24/martin.soccer.not.dominant/index.html?hpt=T2

Granted this is just 1 mans opinion but seems to be shared by many others.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
vta;3443666 said:
Well... when citing a list of marks against a thing, a designation present certainly reads as a denigration. The word was used as a negative to explain a particular dislike. In light of accusing someone of being an elitist, it's a pretty poor choice of wording.

Sigh. Soccer appeals to the masses, from the rich, modernized countries in the West to Third World ****holes like Ghana, which is fine. What makes it suspect in US eyes is that pipsqueak countries regularly stand toe-to-toe with international powerhouses. In short, too much randomness is involved. In the NFL, "parity" and "cap" are considered dirty words for similar reasons. It should have been immediately obvious that I used "proletarian" as a pejorative to describe the game, not necessarily the people who follow it. In the meantime, I'll try to figure out how someone so obstinate could be appointed the moderator of a political forum. Boggles the mind.