Anti-soccer blog post

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
Cythim;3445258 said:
I can't believe NFL fans are okay with teams kneeling to run the clock down or throwing/running out of bounds to stop the clock. It is a shame this is not considered cheating.

What does any of this have to do with soccer players faking injuries? True, NFL players used to pull similar stunts to stop the clock late in the game, but the league (wisely) put an end to that kind of gamesmanship by depriving teams of timeouts.

MartinRamone

Reaction score
Cythim;3445258 said:
I can't believe NFL fans are okay with teams kneeling to run the clock down or throwing/running out of bounds to stop the clock. It is a shame this is not considered cheating.

Its not cheating but it makes the game boring at the end, teams shouldnt stop attacking till the end.

What i cant believe is that they consider football (soccer) players as ******* when NFL players use helmets and pads everywhere, if they are so brave why not just play without them like rugby players do ?

Doomsday101

Reaction score
bbgun;3445320 said:
What does any of this have to do with soccer players faking injuries? True, NFL players used to pull similar stunts to stop the clock late in the game, but the league (wisely) put an end to that kind of gamesmanship by depriving teams of timeouts.

They also made the rule that on offensive if you have an injury with no timeouts remaining they will run 10 sec off the clock. It is hard to fake injuries in the NFL.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
MartinRamone;3445337 said:
Its not cheating but it makes the game boring at the end, teams shouldnt stop attacking till the end.

What i cant believe is that they consider football (soccer) players as ******* when NFL players use helmets and pads everywhere, if they are so brave why not just play without them like rugby players do ?

Helmets are like a weapon and frankly you do not have the high impact hits in rugby that you have in football.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
Doomsday101;3445372 said:
They also made the rule that on offensive if you have an injury with no timeouts remaining they will run 10 sec off the clock. It is hard to fake injuries in the NFL.

Unless you're a punter. :D

MartinRamone

Reaction score
Doomsday101;3445374 said:
Helmets are like a weapon and frankly you do not have the high impact hits in rugby that you have in football.

Are you sure ? try to watch a Tri Nations or Six nations game and see how badly they hit each other, most times they leave the field bleeding.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
MartinRamone;3445379 said:
Are you sure ? try to watch a Tri Nations or Six nations game and see how badly they hit each other, most times they leave the field bleeding.

I have seen Rugby, it is a tough sport but no you don't see the same high impact hits that you see in football. If you removed the pads in football the high impact hits would also vanish again players use that padding as much for attacking as they do protection.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
bbgun;3445377 said:
Unless you're a punter. :D

They mainly fall down to draw the flag, seldom do they fake injury. every now and then you get a punter with a soccer back ground and the soccer player comes out in him. :laugh2:

BehindEnemyLinez

Optimist Prime
Reaction score
bbgun;3445304 said:
xsoccer.jpg
:lmao:

ethiostar

Reaction score
bbgun;3445320 said:

I can't stand that aspect of soccer. But to be fair there have been similar kinds of effort in soccer. For example, Refs can give yellow cards if they believe a player is clearly faking injury to get a penalty or waste time. Refs are resorting to this more and more.

Personally, i think there should be a mechanism in place in which somebody or somebodies will review game tapes and issue yellow or red cards to repeat offenders after the fact. It won't solve the issue entirely but i'm sure it would discourage players from doing as often.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
MartinRamone;3445337 said:

:laugh2:

This post can't be for real.

ethiostar

Reaction score
Hostile;3445537 said:
:laugh2:

This post can't be for real.

This is exactly why its useless to debate why someone should or shouldn't like or appreciate a particular sport. For the true fan of a particular sport, and they usually tend to be the most knowledgeable of the sport in question, most if not all arguments against it sound silly, ignorant and/or very uninformed. It just never gets anyone anywhere.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
ethiostar;3445558 said:
This is exactly why its useless to debate why someone should or shouldn't like or appreciate a particular sport. For the true fan of a particular sport, and they usually tend to be the most knowledgeable of the sport in question, most if not all arguments against it sound silly, ignorant and/or very uninformed. It just never gets anyone anywhere.
I have no idea whether I just got called out or that guy did.

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
FIFA: Replay of Tevez goal 'a mistake'

JOHANNESBURG -- FIFA will censor World Cup match action being shown on giant screens inside the stadium after replays of Argentina's disputed first goal against Mexico fueled arguments on the pitch.
Angry Mexico players protested to referee Roberto Rosetti after the screens in Johannesburg's Soccer City showed Argentina forward Carlos Tevez was offside before he scored the opening goal in a 3-1 victory on Sunday.

FIFA spokesman Nicolas Maingot said Monday that replaying the incident was "a clear mistake."
"This will be corrected and we will have a closer look into that," Maingot told a news conference Monday. "We will work on this and be a bit more, I would say, tight on this for the games to be played."
Maingot said the screens were used to broadcast a FIFA "infotainment program" to fans before the match and could be used to replay some match action.
Responsibility for operating the screens falls to South Africa's World Cup organizing committee, which took charge of the 10 stadiums during the tournament.
Organizers' spokesman Jermaine Craig said he had spoken to the stadium broadcasting team about the incident.

"The goal was awarded and it happened relatively quickly," Craig said. "In retrospect, maybe it shouldn't have been shown. It was shown and unfortunately there is nothing we can do about that."
Maingot said FIFA has not yet received feedback from its officials at the match about a mass confrontation between coaches and players behind the Mexico bench as the teams left the field at halftime.
Italian referee Rosetti was at the center of a melee trying to separate heated conversations that included Argentina coach Diego Maradona

Yeah, that will solve the problem.

Coy

Reaction score
For what it`s worth
The days of the US doesn’t give a **** about soccer are over.

http://blog.nielsen.com/nielsenwire...match-draws-highest-u-s-soccer-audience-ever/

USA-Ghana Match Draws Highest U.S. Soccer Audience Ever
June 28, 2010

An estimated 19.4 million U.S. viewers watched USA’s loss to Ghana on Saturday, making it the most watched soccer game ever in the U.S., according to data from The Nielsen Company.

The record viewership, which includes audiences watching on ABC and Univision, surpassed the previous high of 18.1 million viewers who watched the 1994 World Cup final between Brazil and Italy.

Most Watched Soccer Games in the U.S.
Rank Date Game Network(s) Viewers
1 6/26/2010 USA-Ghana ABC/Univision 19.4 million
2 7/17/1994 Brazil-Italy ABC/Univision 18.1 million
3 7/10/1999 USA-China (women) ABC 18.0 million
4 6/12/2010 USA-England ABC/Univision 17.1 million
5 7/09/2006 Italy-France ABC/Univision 17.0 million
Source: The Nielsen Company

“This record viewership proves that soccer is as popular as it’s ever been in the United States,” said Stephen Master, VP of sports at The Nielsen Company. “Between the rise of social networking and virtually unlimited access to the sport no matter where it’s played in the world, this is the perfect environment for the game of soccer to thrive in the U.S.”

For greater context on the significance of 19.4 million viewers, viewership for other recent major sports events in the U.S. include:

2009 World Series: 19.1 million (average per game)
2010 NBA Finals: 18.1 million (average per game)
2010 final round of the Masters: 16.7 million
2010 Kentucky Derby: 16.5 million

ethiostar

Reaction score
Hostile;3445576 said:
I have no idea whether I just got called out or that guy did.

:laugh1:

I'm not calling out anyone, at least that wasn't my intention. I was just stating that the reaction from someone who is a big fan of a particular sport to someone who is criticizing that sport is usually the same.

To a large extent, i think of it in terms of what i've heard said about religion or faith. To the non-believer there is not enough evidence to convince him/or her to believe, to the believer, no evidence is necessary (not an exact quote but you get the gist and i'm not trying to turn this into a religion thread by any chance). Not to say there won't be 'converts' or someone won't see the 'light' sort of speak but generally it holds true.

I hated football 22 years ago, i just couldn't stand it. I've stated most of the same reasons as to why it is a stupid game. 10 years later i was hooked and overtime i've developed a lot of passion for the game and have been glued to the TV whenever the Boys play and watching other NFL games when i can, and now i'm outfitting my 10 months old boy with all sort of Cowboys gear. On the other hand, a number of people i know simply don't like the game for a lot of reasons, and get this, a few of them think its slow and boring. They think football players are just a bunch of overinflated idiots who only play in spurts and take a break. And no amount of discussion or attempts to explain the reasons why players are doing certain things could convince them otherwise.