Any mention yet of why Zeke didn't start?

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Yeah another tendency buster play to be sure and the defense was all over it.. Thankfully Zeke got the first down anyway but he had to do way more work to get there than he should have. Just hand it to him straight ahead/off tackle and let him punish the defense.
yeah that's what other teams do, for us it's like climbing mt everest with no hands

Mr_437

Reaction score
Hard to say at the moment, but all off-season the talk of a committee was hilarious to me because I don't remember McCarthy properly using a committee. However, with a committee of average RBs it doesn't really matter.

This was an offseason problem, Jerry n Stephen refused to address so we already knew what was going to happen, but watching it is worse than the offseason projecting.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
yeah that's what other teams do, for us it's like climbing mt everest with no hands
Play calling on game day is always about getting a feel for what's working... Which of your guys is winning his matchup and then taking advantage until the other team adjusts. McCarthy spent most of the first quarter running tendency busters trying to put stuff on tape meanwhile the other team was running their best plays and dismantling our defense. Tendency busters it's not even important that they work.. you just run them just to show them and make other teams think about them. Problem was, the Saints didn't care about them.. They were winning the line of scrimmage, partly because we ran at them with our two smaller backs more than the power guy. And then once we fell way behind the running game was out the window anyway.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Play calling on game day is always about getting a feel for what's working... Which of your guys is winning his matchup and then taking advantage until the other team adjusts. McCarthy spent most of the first quarter running tendency busters trying to put stuff on tape meanwhile the other team was running their best plays and dismantling our defense. Tendency busters it's not even important that they work.. you just run them just to show them and make other teams think about them. Problem was, the Saints didn't care about them.. They were winning the line of scrimmage, partly because we ran at them with our two smaller backs more than the power guy. And then once we fell way behind the running game was out the window anyway.
Do you ever sense we're getting a feel for the game???? We haven't anything work really well for us to actually attack the defense with. If we did, it seems that we're quick to do the opposite instead of sticking with what's working for us.

IceStar-D7

Reaction score
Does it really matter who starts at running back? You going to get the same. But I can't put it all on them. I rarely saw the Oline open up a hole big enough for a mouse to get through...

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Hard to say at the moment, but all off-season the talk of a committee was hilarious to me because I don't remember McCarthy properly using a committee. However, with a committee of average RBs it doesn't really matter.

This was an offseason problem, Jerry n Stephen refused to address so we already knew what was going to happen, but watching it is worse than the offseason projecting.
The solution is staring us right in the face in the form of #15. Dak and the receivers move the ball fine between the 20's but when you get down close and the spacing gets tight you gotta be able to strap 'em on and hit the defense in the mouth. That is unless you have a Dez type receiver who can take the ball off the top of the DBs helmet .. Cooks is adept at getting open in the red zone but at 5'9" he's just too hard to find at times. CD is physical and strong but not up to the Dez level so we can't just lob it up to him and know he's gonna come down with it. With Ferg out that middle seam seemed to not be available or Dak just didn't trust Schoon enough to throw it. So IMHO the best plan of attack for this team in the red zone is hand it to #15 ... Again call me a Zeke homer but his success rate in those scenarios speaks for itself. Run Deuce and Rico all you want between the 20s but when we reach scoring position put the big dawg in.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Do you ever sense we're getting a feel for the game???? We haven't anything work really well for us to actually attack the defense with. If we did, it seems that we're quick to do the opposite instead of sticking with what's working for us.
I thought McCarthy had some games last year where he got in a groove.. and he was in his bag to some degree that first half against Cleveland.. I still think Cleveland's defense is better than the Saints but their offense couldn't help them out ..

DallasInDC

Reaction score
He missed the first series completely and was not bright in until 3-4 plays into the second. Was he being punished for some indiscretion? Hurt? Bad week of practice? Ate too much at the team brunch?

The Cowboys marched to the NO 12 yard line on his first drive in the game.. Then took him out for Deuce.. and went backwards from there. At that point the score was 14-3. If the Cowboys punch it in it's 14-10 and (maybe) we have a competitive ballgame. Going backwards in the red zone and settling for another FG was very deflating for me as a fan. It had to have had an effect on the players as well.

Look we all know I love Zeke.. but more important than any fan his teammates love him.. If they felt like the coaching staff was screwing him over that's going to creep into their minds. I'm not saying they were.. just wondering aloud what was up with the personnel deployment there. If the defense was going to give up 40 then no running back was going to get a lot of carries. That's just reality so I wasn't look for big numbers.. but I was more than a little annoyed that we didn't use him in the red zone.. which was the primary reason we brought him back. Especially when there was still a glimmer of hope that we could get back in the game.

I'm sure the usual suspects will come at me with "Zeke homer" and other nonsense.. The same usual suspects should also know by now that I don't care.
I think the Cowboys outsmarted themselves, in trying to come up with some unicorn game plan that the Saints weren't expecting to catch them off guard. Sometimes, it's better to lace them up and play they way you always play and not try to be cute. (This is not say that Zeke is all world and is the answer. I think we have serious issues at RB.

Mr_437

Reaction score
The solution is staring us right in the face in the form of #15. Dak and the receivers move the ball fine between the 20's but when you get down close and the spacing gets tight you gotta be able to strap 'em on and hit the defense in the mouth. That is unless you have a Dez type receiver who can take the ball off the top of the DBs helmet .. Cooks is adept at getting open in the red zone but at 5'9" he's just too hard to find at times. CD is physical and strong but not up to the Dez level so we can't just lob it up to him and know he's gonna come down with it. With Ferg out that middle seam seemed to not be available or Dak just didn't trust Schoon enough to throw it. So IMHO the best plan of attack for this team in the red zone is hand it to #15 ... Again call me a Zeke homer but his success rate in those scenarios speaks for itself. Run Deuce and Rico all you want between the 20s but when we reach scoring position put the big dawg in.
Actually Ronny you did all typing so I don't have too because I agree with you on this one. Zeke would be my red zone RB, while, Rico handled 20 to 20 paired with a competent runner not on the roster right now. I don't believe in Cook, but hey give him a shot. I'm out on the Deuce project.

TwistedL0g1k

Reaction score
Zeke was never really the starter- maybe for an honorary position in game one. Dowdle is RB #1.

Using Vaughn instead of Elliott in the red zone was a poor coaching decision. One of many.

The RB group is bad, but let's be honest about the OL too. They were awful.

Loso86

Reaction score
I suppose.. it was just another disappointing development in a day that was full of them. The job of the coaching staff is to get the most out of the players ability and to take advantage of the things they do well. Zeke is still a monster in short yardage and red zone. I don't care if he gets another carry all season in other situations but this team absolutely is doing itself a disservice if they don't use him in those. Even when the play has gotten blown up like that toss on 3rd and short where the defense read it and all flowed to Zeke the instant he got the ball he managed to get the first down anyway.. That's what I'm talking about.. You can't teach determination and football IQ. Zeke has both He's no longer a great back.. So what? All we have been hearing for the last 5 years is that the Cowboys don't need a great back.. Like you said.. the fans and media got what they wanted. And they still mad.
That's what I was saying, he brings alot to this team not just running the ball

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I thought McCarthy had some games last year where he got in a groove.. and he was in his bag to some degree that first half against Cleveland.. I still think Cleveland's defense is better than the Saints but their offense couldn't help them out ..
perfectly said!!!!

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Actually Ronny you did all typing so I don't have too because I agree with you on this one. Zeke would be my red zone RB, while, Rico handled 20 to 20 paired with a competent runner not on the roster right now. I don't believe in Cook, but hey give him a shot. I'm out on the Deuce project.
might be time to go to work with daddy somewhere else lol

RonnieT24

Reaction score
I think the Cowboys outsmarted themselves, in trying to come up with some unicorn game plan that the Saints weren't expecting to catch them off guard. Sometimes, it's better to lace them up and play they way you always play and not try to be cute. (This is not say that Zeke is all world and is the answer. I think we have serious issues at RB.
I firmly believe Zeke is the answer in the red zone and short yardage.. As for the rest of the field.. I don't know.. I would need to see some actual holes before I make that call. But in the red zone.. absolutely lace 'em up and let's see who the better man is.. And if the other guy proves superior THEN you resort to subterfuge.. But you don't leap to that conclusion without even trying. Especially not in a game when the defense made it clear you needed touchdowns on every possession to even have a chance!

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
No idea why Zeke was out the first series. Maybe Jerry said he wanted duece to be more involved so in protest, MM sat Jerry's other pet cat. Any coach that pulls Zeke out of the game in the redzone and replaces them with 42 should be fired on the spot. Duece is on this team because of his dad and Jerry, he is a waste of a roster spot.

Cmac

Reaction score
He missed the first series completely and was not bright in until 3-4 plays into the second. Was he being punished for some indiscretion? Hurt? Bad week of practice? Ate too much at the team brunch?

The Cowboys marched to the NO 12 yard line on his first drive in the game.. Then took him out for Deuce.. and went backwards from there. At that point the score was 14-3. If the Cowboys punch it in it's 14-10 and (maybe) we have a competitive ballgame. Going backwards in the red zone and settling for another FG was very deflating for me as a fan. It had to have had an effect on the players as well.

Look we all know I love Zeke.. but more important than any fan his teammates love him.. If they felt like the coaching staff was screwing him over that's going to creep into their minds. I'm not saying they were.. just wondering aloud what was up with the personnel deployment there. If the defense was going to give up 40 then no running back was going to get a lot of carries. That's just reality so I wasn't look for big numbers.. but I was more than a little annoyed that we didn't use him in the red zone.. which was the primary reason we brought him back. Especially when there was still a glimmer of hope that we could get back in the game.

I'm sure the usual suspects will come at me with "Zeke homer" and other nonsense.. The same usual suspects should also know by now that I don't care.
RonnieT24.....I like Zeke too and don't care about the haters, just the same. Given the stable of RBs we have, no one can't convince me that Zeke is not the better in the group, even more so in the RZ. I didn't notice as I began watching after 7-3. To say the least, it is mind-boggling. Still baffled that Derrick Henry didn't even receive a phone call. Chalk it up to coaching arrogance and unwillingness to recognize we got beat like a drum in the trenches all day.

Just call it what it is......Zeke brought back as a Fall Guy for pending shortcomings to our ground attack and Jerry repeating an "All In" declaration.

Aven8

Reaction score
Both Jerry and Stephen have both said Zeke was brought in to get those tough 3rd downs and goal line stuff. We weren’t in any position to get either last week.