Any mention yet of why Zeke didn't start?

mrmojo

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Hated bringing Zeke back especially if your not going to use him for what he is limited to. None of the bacls on the roster will help you get far in the playoffs.........if the Cowboys get there............RB, DT should have been priority in the offseason.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
I think the Cowboys are going about the RBBC thing all wrong anyway. Trying to use them all the same way and act as if any of them are equally likely to be successful on any play is lunacy. Zeke's best work will be done between the tackles.. Same with Dowdle.. Vaughan needs to work in space.. period. Who cares if the defense overplays him to get into space every time he comes in. They still have to find him after the snap and tackle him in space. Which if he is who we think he is will be difficult. And if he's not who we think he is we need to find out sooner than later. We beefed up along the offensive line yet we almost refuse to just line up and play football. Screw all these traps,misdirections and delays. Strap 'em on and hit the defense in the mouth a few times. Find out if THEY wanna play big boy football that day. In other words, do what physical teams do to us.

DCwarrior

Reaction score
If you have 4 RB then you don’t have 1. Parcels or Bellichek once said that regarding QBs or something like if you have 2 QBs then you don’t have 1.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
It's shocking that several were screaming how awesome the RB by committee would be.
Yep and now that they have it they are still complaining.. It's almost like they just want something to complain about and what it is doesn't really even matter so long as they can complain. What a miserable way to go through life!

Smith22

Reaction score
Few things:

1) It is RB by committee until otherwise so I don't think it really is that important who the "starter" is.

2) running scheme sucked last year and isn't any better this year.

3) we probably have the worst RB group in the NFL.

4) 2 rookies starting on the Oline so expect some bumps along the way.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Few things:

1) It is RB by committee until otherwise so I don't think it really is that important who the "starter" is.

2) running scheme sucked last year and isn't any better this year.

3) we probably have the worst RB group in the NFL.

4) 2 rookies starting on the Oline so expect some bumps along the way.
While I agree the whole starter thing is not a big deal.. I was just wondering if there was anything else going on. Especially when he didn't come out to start the second series either. McCarthy and Schottenheimer certainly have not shown themselves to be any better at scheming the run than Kellen Moore was with the possible exception of the "don't block the backside DE" play. They at least appear to have removed that thing from the playbook so our guys aren't consistently getting blown up in the backfield by unblocked people. Other than that I have not seen much improvement. With the size we acquired up front we need to play to power not subterfuge.

kskboys

Reaction score
Yep and now that they have it they are still complaining.. It's almost like they just want something to complain about and what it is doesn't really even matter so long as they can complain. What a miserable way to go through life!
It's really just another football term that most on here don't understand. RB by committee is not desirable, it's what you do when you don't have anyone good enough to start/take the bulk of the carries.

garyo1954

Reaction score
Keeping him fresh for the playoffs by limiting his carries and physical contact.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Keeping him fresh for the playoffs by limiting his carries and physical contact.
I could almost buy this except they have him in there an awful lot for pass protection. Those hits hurt even more than being tackled. Usually because those you have to take square on as opposed to maybe being dragged down by an arm or a leg if you're running with the ball.

blueblood70

Reaction score
If you have 4 RB then you don’t have 1. Parcels or Bellichek once said that regarding QBs or something like if you have 2 QBs then you don’t have 1.
That's not true at all all NFL teams rotate their backs very few have power backs nowadays that can handle it on all three downs and can run 30 * a game that's done and gone it said about quarterbacks because you literally do not rotate quarterbacks but you do rotate other positions like the expensive line different tight ends different wide receivers and yes different running backs sure it's nice to have a workhorse and you know *** **** well we've had one of the best running backs in the league over the last 20 years they have drafted guys like Murray and zeke and Emmett Smith and they will again this is like 2015 where the team thought they could do more with less and so far it's not working and I say like Ronnie up there says they're not being utilized properly period end of story Tony and Rico were used backwards last year vaughn's not being used right at all right now if we have the right mix of running backs for the right situation of football you know the right back for the right play that is not what this looks like it looks like he decides before the game who starts the game and then who rotates in that's it not the place called or what the Downing distance is he's literally just bringing in guys because he marked it down on a sheet on at what point in each game will he substitute them in and out and then he sticks with it all game....

blueblood70

Reaction score
While I agree the whole starter thing is not a big deal.. I was just wondering if there was anything else going on. Especially when he didn't come out to start the second series either. McCarthy and Schottenheimer certainly have not shown themselves to be any better at scheming the run than Kellen Moore was with the possible exception of the "don't block the backside DE" play. They at least appear to have removed that thing from the playbook so our guys aren't consistently getting blown up in the backfield by unblocked people. Other than that I have not seen much improvement. With the size we acquired up front we need to play to power not subterfuge.
I see the same thing Mike McCarthy doesn't know how to rotate the backs in and out is it is it his game plans are who starts the game and at what point in the game does he substitute them and then he pulls them in and out without any thought I'm actually using the right guy for the right place it was like this last year Tony and Rico should have been flipped Vaughn and Turpin are not being used correctly in this offense in my opinion I'm sick of the little flare out to the outside literally put these guys in better positions to win just like Andy Reid does with his weapons seems weird that he can bring in all these guys that look similar that keeps his offense going no matter what their name is they all have that one role to do and he finds that guy every three to four years and they all seem to be successful they don't need to be pro ball players but they do what they're asked at a high level they make that play successful because he uses the right player for the right situation...

I'm pretty much done with the experiment every year now Mike McCarthy last year and now two years in a row that started slow play conservative doesn't seem to be rotating the backs in and out properly I mean Turpin is not being used correctly I'm sick of that little flare pass out to the right behind the line of scrimmage that wasn't working but he kept doing it all day.... I would take Kellen Moore back right now over this because we're not being aggressive we're not being creative it looks like they're just playing conservative football to not make a mistake and keep the defense fresh they did this last year until what after the San Francisco game then you heard him they made changes in the bye week and then yeah it looked better and they're on it but why start this year the same as last year playing ultra conservative football and then you get behind and you don't push the ball down the field you keep with the same game plan you came with and the same thing we got up in the Cleveland game and we're winning the game he comes out throwing all the third quarter instead of running the football I just don't get what he's thinking..

I am literally over it like I was sticking up for Mike McCarthy although if he would have been fired I was OK with it I thought we should start over but being the fact that they brought him back I thought hey year 2 in this offense lookout we're looking it's looking at the same exact thing the first two games last year like the first five games into the San Francisco game whatever game that was it looked just like this :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: o_Oo_Oo_Oo_O:facepalm::huh::thumbdown:

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
He missed the first series completely and was not bright in until 3-4 plays into the second. Was he being punished for some indiscretion? Hurt? Bad week of practice? Ate too much at the team brunch?

The Cowboys marched to the NO 12 yard line on his first drive in the game.. Then took him out for Deuce.. and went backwards from there. At that point the score was 14-3. If the Cowboys punch it in it's 14-10 and (maybe) we have a competitive ballgame. Going backwards in the red zone and settling for another FG was very deflating for me as a fan. It had to have had an effect on the players as well.

Look we all know I love Zeke.. but more important than any fan his teammates love him.. If they felt like the coaching staff was screwing him over that's going to creep into their minds. I'm not saying they were.. just wondering aloud what was up with the personnel deployment there. If the defense was going to give up 40 then no running back was going to get a lot of carries. That's just reality so I wasn't look for big numbers.. but I was more than a little annoyed that we didn't use him in the red zone.. which was the primary reason we brought him back. Especially when there was still a glimmer of hope that we could get back in the game.

I'm sure the usual suspects will come at me with "Zeke homer" and other nonsense.. The same usual suspects should also know by now that I don't care.
Why didn't he start?
Because he sucks.
Cowboys live in the past.
Fans imagine players they worshipped as never getting old or bad.

Zeke is done

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Elliott is a plan B RB at this point and should be used accordingly. The issue is Deuce and Dowdle are sub par plan C RBs.

DCwarrior

Reaction score
That's not true at all all NFL teams rotate their backs very few have power backs nowadays that can handle it on all three downs and can run 30 * a game that's done and gone it said about quarterbacks because you literally do not rotate quarterbacks but you do rotate other positions like the expensive line different tight ends different wide receivers and yes different running backs sure it's nice to have a workhorse and you know *** **** well we've had one of the best running backs in the league over the last 20 years they have drafted guys like Murray and zeke and Emmett Smith and they will again this is like 2015 where the team thought they could do more with less and so far it's not working and I say like Ronnie up there says they're not being utilized properly period end of story Tony and Rico were used backwards last year vaughn's not being used right at all right now if we have the right mix of running backs for the right situation of football you know the right back for the right play that is not what this looks like it looks like he decides before the game who starts the game and then who rotates in that's it not the place called or what the Downing distance is he's literally just bringing in guys because he marked it down on a sheet on at what point in each game will he substitute them in and out and then he sticks with it all game....
Easy there big fellar! I don’t need a novel on a simple yet true comment.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Easy there big fellar! I don’t need a novel on a simple yet true comment.
The truth of the matter is he's right in that in the modern NFL most teams rotate their backs in and out. Even the ones who believe they have a feature back don't hand them the ball 25-30 times a game anymore. It's fine if you wanna to that but what blue and I are talking about is the mind boggling deployment McCarthy is employing. Zeke out in the red zone for Deuce? On what planet does that make sense? Like I said I don't care who starts and I wager Zeke doesn't either but McCarthy and crew have got to figure out how to get these guys into the plays that play to their strengths and quit worrying about showing tendencies. If something works then that's a pretty good reason for it to BECOME a tendency.

garyo1954

Reaction score
I could almost buy this except they have him in there an awful lot for pass protection. Those hits hurt even more than being tackled. Usually because those you have to take square on as opposed to maybe being dragged down by an arm or a leg if you're running with the ball.
Yeah, I wish it were true too Ronnie. We all know Booger is loyal to special players and Zeke was one. Then the clock catches up, we lose a step, we aren't as quick, we can't bounce around or bounce back like when we were young.

Nothing but positive for Zeke. He's worked hard to get back.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
You don't need a stud rb. You can easily find a quality RB in mid to late rounds of the draft.
Problem is none of the rbs on this roster are good enough to warrant significant playing time in this league.
I have never seen a backfield more inept at breaking tackles/ making someone miss in open space.
We get our RB1 in the 2025 draft.

Round 1 or 2.

These scrubs gotta go.