Any mention yet of why Zeke didn't start?

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
He missed the first series completely and was not bright in until 3-4 plays into the second. Was he being punished for some indiscretion? Hurt? Bad week of practice? Ate too much at the team brunch?

The Cowboys marched to the NO 12 yard line on his first drive in the game.. Then took him out for Deuce.. and went backwards from there. At that point the score was 14-3. If the Cowboys punch it in it's 14-10 and (maybe) we have a competitive ballgame. Going backwards in the red zone and settling for another FG was very deflating for me as a fan. It had to have had an effect on the players as well.

Look we all know I love Zeke.. but more important than any fan his teammates love him.. If they felt like the coaching staff was screwing him over that's going to creep into their minds. I'm not saying they were.. just wondering aloud what was up with the personnel deployment there. If the defense was going to give up 40 then no running back was going to get a lot of carries. That's just reality so I wasn't look for big numbers.. but I was more than a little annoyed that we didn't use him in the red zone.. which was the primary reason we brought him back. Especially when there was still a glimmer of hope that we could get back in the game.

I'm sure the usual suspects will come at me with "Zeke homer" and other nonsense.. The same usual suspects should also know by now that I don't care.
Don't know, but there isnt much difference between Elliott and Dowdle at this point

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
There is a definitely difference in power. Everything else is open for debate but that Zeke is the better back for power situations is not.
Not wrong. Keeping him out of goal line is dumb. However as far as the starting the game, they probably dont see much distinction. Although to be honest, I cant give you a skill set Dowdle gives you that would make you think he makes sense

DuncanIso

Reaction score
I thought McCarthy had some games last year where he got in a groove.. and he was in his bag to some degree that first half against Cleveland.. I still think Cleveland's defense is better than the Saints but their offense couldn't help them out ..
There seems to be a disconnect between the HC and the OC.

some of the plays/personnel didn’t make sense.

if they can’t move the A-B gaps, then throw to the RBs.

im not sure Big Mike is even following a game plan.

he‘s just calling random plays.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
No idea why Zeke was out the first series. Maybe Jerry said he wanted duece to be more involved so in protest, MM sat Jerry's other pet cat. Any coach that pulls Zeke out of the game in the redzone and replaces them with 42 should be fired on the spot. Duece is on this team because of his dad and Jerry, he is a waste of a roster spot.
Big Mike is passive aggressive.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Not wrong. Keeping him out of goal line is dumb. However as far as the starting the game, they probably dont see much distinction. Although to be honest, I cant give you a skill set Dowdle gives you that would make you think he makes sense
Yeah I just thought coming out with Dowdle and Deuce in there at the same time to open the game screamed "cute" to me. Then instead of trying to get either of them the ball in space we ran them both up the middle when we did run. Like what are we doing?

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Zeke is simply suffering the onset of the years of battering and the physical downgrading that resulted in that long process. In the meantime, the rest of the running back corps by committee will be tried to execute some meaningful measure of improvement in our RB production. There's no guarantee that will be likely to alleviate what seems inevitable, but doing nothing but remaining stagnant isn't likely to help, either. Someone will have to step up to change that scenario for the better. Let's see if anyone on the team, not yet being called upon, might serve to help our needy cause! Dalvin Cook, perhaps?

Last edited:

tomsanders921

Reaction score
He didn't start because he sucks. But then again so do dowdle and Vaughn.

I was surprised he didn't start as well. Even if he is not the best option, I still expected the cowboys to continue trotting him out there as the starter every week. That's just something they would do.

The fact that they went into this season with these collection of rbs tells me they either don't care or they are clueless. At this point I don't know which one it is

GMO415

Reaction score
Suspended for 4 minutes for inappropriate touching?

RonnieT24

Reaction score
He didn't start because he sucks. But then again so do dowdle and Vaughn.

I was surprised he didn't start as well. Even if he is not the best option, I still expected the cowboys to continue trotting him out there as the starter every week. That's just something they would do.

The fact that they went into this season with these collection of rbs tells me they either don't care or they are clueless. At this point I don't know which one it is
So you agree that the fans who claimed the Cowboys didn't need a stud RB all those years were in fact clueless?

cowboyschmps3

Reaction score
He missed the first series completely and was not bright in until 3-4 plays into the second. Was he being punished for some indiscretion? Hurt? Bad week of practice? Ate too much at the team brunch?

The Cowboys marched to the NO 12 yard line on his first drive in the game.. Then took him out for Deuce.. and went backwards from there. At that point the score was 14-3. If the Cowboys punch it in it's 14-10 and (maybe) we have a competitive ballgame. Going backwards in the red zone and settling for another FG was very deflating for me as a fan. It had to have had an effect on the players as well.

Look we all know I love Zeke.. but more important than any fan his teammates love him.. If they felt like the coaching staff was screwing him over that's going to creep into their minds. I'm not saying they were.. just wondering aloud what was up with the personnel deployment there. If the defense was going to give up 40 then no running back was going to get a lot of carries. That's just reality so I wasn't look for big numbers.. but I was more than a little annoyed that we didn't use him in the red zone.. which was the primary reason we brought him back. Especially when there was still a glimmer of hope that we could get back in the game.

I'm sure the usual suspects will come at me with "Zeke homer" and other nonsense.. The same usual suspects should also know by now that I don't care.
We need him out there like they had Rico, we need him blocking out there not getting blown up in pass protection. I’m with you, teammates feed off his energy.

tomsanders921

Reaction score
So you agree that the fans who claimed the Cowboys didn't need a stud RB all those years were in fact clueless?
You don't need a stud rb. You can easily find a quality RB in mid to late rounds of the draft.
Problem is none of the rbs on this roster are good enough to warrant significant playing time in this league.
I have never seen a backfield more inept at breaking tackles/ making someone miss in open space.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's a RB by committee. Meaning there really isn't a "starter."

Oh, and the committee all suck.
And o line blocking and stupid play calling.

I know it's very fashionable and fun to do the zeke sucks routine. But how about make a dam hole or move a couple yards up field looking for someone to pancake and let the rb ride your coat tail for once?

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
It's slightly disappointing to see the front office/staff just take one in the nuts every season recently and not fulfill the RB depth. Hell, we don't even have a legitimate starter. And haven't for a couple of years. I love Zeke, but this isn't 2016. Deuce should be playing in Canada and because of injuries and time, Dowdle is nearing the end.
And when I say slightly, I mean it's completely disappointing.

This offense feels like Linehan is back and Prescott is forced to make every play, which worked out great in the past! :facepalm:

kskboys

Reaction score
You don't need a stud rb. You can easily find a quality RB in mid to late rounds of the draft.
Problem is none of the rbs on this roster are good enough to warrant significant playing time in this league.
I have never seen a backfield more inept at breaking tackles/ making someone miss in open space.
Absolutely not true.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

Aaron Rodgers on mushrooms is a better play caller than MM.