Any mention yet of why Zeke didn't start?

Kingofholland

Reaction score
He missed the first series completely and was not bright in until 3-4 plays into the second. Was he being punished for some indiscretion? Hurt? Bad week of practice? Ate too much at the team brunch?

The Cowboys marched to the NO 12 yard line on his first drive in the game.. Then took him out for Deuce.. and went backwards from there. At that point the score was 14-3. If the Cowboys punch it in it's 14-10 and (maybe) we have a competitive ballgame. Going backwards in the red zone and settling for another FG was very deflating for me as a fan. It had to have had an effect on the players as well.

Look we all know I love Zeke.. but more important than any fan his teammates love him.. If they felt like the coaching staff was screwing him over that's going to creep into their minds. I'm not saying they were.. just wondering aloud what was up with the personnel deployment there. If the defense was going to give up 40 then no running back was going to get a lot of carries. That's just reality so I wasn't look for big numbers.. but I was more than a little annoyed that we didn't use him in the red zone.. which was the primary reason we brought him back. Especially when there was still a glimmer of hope that we could get back in the game.

I'm sure the usual suspects will come at me with "Zeke homer" and other nonsense.. The same usual suspects should also know by now that I don't care.
I think they were just trying to find the hot hand early. I thought Zeke did OK last week, this week he didn't do much sans 2 decent plays. At the moment Rico and Zeke have the same touches maybe they're just rotating starts week to week. I guess who starts shouldn't matter much, more about how they utilize each within the gameplan.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He missed the first series completely and was not bright in until 3-4 plays into the second. Was he being punished for some indiscretion? Hurt? Bad week of practice? Ate too much at the team brunch?

The Cowboys marched to the NO 12 yard line on his first drive in the game.. Then took him out for Deuce.. and went backwards from there. At that point the score was 14-3. If the Cowboys punch it in it's 14-10 and (maybe) we have a competitive ballgame. Going backwards in the red zone and settling for another FG was very deflating for me as a fan. It had to have had an effect on the players as well.

Look we all know I love Zeke.. but more important than any fan his teammates love him.. If they felt like the coaching staff was screwing him over that's going to creep into their minds. I'm not saying they were.. just wondering aloud what was up with the personnel deployment there. If the defense was going to give up 40 then no running back was going to get a lot of carries. That's just reality so I wasn't look for big numbers.. but I was more than a little annoyed that we didn't use him in the red zone.. which was the primary reason we brought him back. Especially when there was still a glimmer of hope that we could get back in the game.

I'm sure the usual suspects will come at me with "Zeke homer" and other nonsense.. The same usual suspects should also know by now that I don't care.
The team has talking about throttling his use....this might be part of it. I'm hoping for more of it. I know if we want a productive late season we need a productive rest of season, but let's not wash him out straight away!

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think they were just trying to find the hot hand early. I thought Zeke did OK last week, this week he didn't do much sans 2 decent plays. At the moment Rico and Zeke have the same touches maybe they're just rotating starts week to week. I guess who starts shouldn't matter much, more about how they utilize each within the gameplan.
There's a "game plan" for the run? Huh....how about that!

cowboyec

Reaction score
maybe i'm wrong but i think it was by design.
maybe it's a rotation thing...different starter each week type thing.

Sydla

Reaction score

Because he's a JAG? That's he not exactly some huge upgrade over Dowdle?

Our running back room is arguably the worst in the NFL. So I don't think it really matters whether Zeke starts or not.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Deuce.

lol.

That draft pick still kills me.

Cowboys arrogance in full flight right there.
There is a way to utilize Deuce to get production out of him.. The Cowboys just haven't figured it out. I guarantee you that if Vaughan had been drafted by the Chiefs he'd be getting the ball in space 5-6 times a game and we would all be screaming "Why didn't we draft that guy?" At this point I'm not sure McCarthy knows how to use him. He botched Pollard and Dowdle last season and he is not doing any better with this trio we have this season. We know he has never been a big "run the ball" guy no matter what he says in the media.. His track record with the running game says otherwise. But I at least thought he would have sense enough to use Zeke in the red zone. It was arrogant as hell to have Deuce in there on two red zone trips.

Proof

Reaction score

to my untrained eye, dowdle just looked to have some juice to him. might have just earned it.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
When I saw it I immediately thought they were trying to save Zeke for the closer role so giving him less snaps early on. Not sure what the excuse is though.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
to my untrained eye, dowdle just looked to have some juice to him. might have just earned it.
Maybe I guess.. I know Zeke was the more productive of the two last week so maybe it was something they saw during the week. I'm not all that bent out of shape about the non-start as I am about the refusal to use him in the RZ like we're supposed to. That actually bothers me way more than the starting business.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Look we all know I love Zeke.. but more important than any fan his teammates love him.. If they felt like the coaching staff was screwing him over that's going to creep into their minds. I'm not saying they were..
You can't start a bad player just because his teammates like him.

It's probably as simple as the fact that Dowdle is a better back at this point. And no one knows that better than the players on the team.

DallasInDC

Reaction score
I firmly believe Zeke is the answer in the red zone and short yardage.. As for the rest of the field.. I don't know.. I would need to see some actual holes before I make that call. But in the red zone.. absolutely lace 'em up and let's see who the better man is.. And if the other guy proves superior THEN you resort to subterfuge.. But you don't leap to that conclusion without even trying. Especially not in a game when the defense made it clear you needed touchdowns on every possession to even have a chance!
Oh, I don't disagree that Zeke can't be a short yardage back and complimentary back. I just don't think he can be the featured back.

jwitten82

Reaction score
I don't swear to anything.. but I do firmly believe that he would have helped those two drives that got inside the 15 yard line end in TDs instead of FGs. Punch those two opportunities in and we have a different ballgame. Maybe we still lose but maybe, just maybe we wake up and start competing.. so yeah.. I think he could've made a difference.. Not necessarily in the outcome but certain in the optics and how we feel about the team and more importantly how they feel about themselves. Losing 41-34 or 44-38 is vastly different than 44-19 and never really looking like you belonged on the same field with the other guys. People who played the game understand that.. As for the rest? Not my problem.
Lol Zekes 2.7 ypc showed, he made no difference. People who know the game know that Zeke is done and the only reason he is here is Dak and Jerry

HungryLion

Reaction score
Zeke isn’t good anymore. It doesn’t matter.

We shouldn’t even as fans have to have this conversation because Zeke should be retired or working as an RB coach for the team. Not playing anymore.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
You can't start a bad player just because his teammates like him.

It's probably as simple as the fact that Dowdle is a better back at this point. And no one knows that better than the players on the team.
It will be interesting to see how it plays out. Like I said.. I am more concerned with winning than any feelings or any such. If Dowdle proves to be better so be it. I just don't think he will ever be better in short yardage situations or red zone where power will be at the most important trait. In a game that looked to be headed for the 40's from the git go no back was going to be expected to get much on the ground. We just needed to be smarter about our trips into the red zone and capitalize with TDs to have any chance whatsoever and to me that meant banging it in with Zeke. Even if it took 4 straight runs to get 10 yards you do it. Cause you HAVE to come away with 6 down there not 3. Zeke is also the best on the roster to run when things AREN'T blocked up because he rarely gets TFL and consistently carries defenders for positive yardage almost regardless of the blocking or lack thereof. But again, this game was not really the time to go 3 tight ends and a fullback. It was gonna be a shootout so that's what needed to be our mindset. But when you kick FGs while the other team is scoring TDs you're going to be in trouble pretty quick.

Staubacher

Reaction score
Zeke isn’t good anymore. It doesn’t matter.

We shouldn’t even as fans have to have this conversation because Zeke should be retired or working as an RB coach for the team. Not playing anymore.
Even more than the Dak resigning that move to bring back Zeke really alienated me from being emotionally invested at all in this team anymore. It just says it all about the owner/GM and the attitude of this franchise