Any position you oppose in 2nd?

Chrispierce

Reaction score
Well,listening to the Talkin and Break shows last week,they went over our laundry list and you can pretty much pick an area to target. D-line,o-line,safeties,another LB at depth,a new slot WR,a TE,another RB,ect. So,whatever position they do grab,it’s going to fill a much needed position.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
Well,listening to the Talkin and Break shows last week,they went over our laundry list and you can pretty much pick an area to target. D-line,o-line,safeties,another LB at depth,a new slot WR,a TE,another RB,ect. So,whatever position they do grab,it’s going to fill a much needed position.

But this isn't just filling a need right? He's asking with our 2nd round pick.

Are you using your 2nd on a depth LB?

Chrispierce

Reaction score
But this isn't just filling a need right? He's asking with our 2nd round pick.

Are you using your 2nd on a depth LB?
If he’s the best player at that pick. That’s the point of what they went over on the shows. It’s not a “Oh you must get that TE ect” situation. If he’s not there.there are plenty more spots to target. But me personally? I’d like to get someone in the trenches if given a choice.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
If he’s the best player at that pick. That’s the point of what they went over on the shows. It’s not a “Oh you must get that TE ect” situation. If he’s not there.there are plenty more spots to target. But me personally? I’d like to get someone in the trenches if given a choice.

Again, this isn't a thread of "oh you must get X position", it's a thread of positions that even if the player is BPA you wouldn't take with our 2nd round pick(1st pick of the draft).

So you would draft a backup LB with our 1st pick in the draft when our incumbent starters are 22 and 23 years old?

Chrispierce

Reaction score
Again, this isn't a thread of "oh you must get X position", it's a thread of positions that even if the player is BPA you wouldn't take with our 2nd round pick(1st pick of the draft).

So you would draft a backup LB with our 1st pick in the draft when our incumbent starters are 22 and 23 years old?
Well,if I didn’t answer your question then I don’t know what to tell you.

PUSHfold

Reaction score
Oh no, I'm taking any position at DL that is a value at the spot we pick. I'm taking any promising OT that is a value at our pick. I'm taking a TE that can catch and block at our pick, if it's of value. I honestly, would consider any position except Kicker or Punter.

This is how you draft and build great teams.

Batman1980

Reaction score
I understand why you say that, but here’s the thing. Look at great teams like New England. They have the best QB in NFL history, yet have drafted 7 QBs since Tom Brady became a starter. In almost every case, NE developed those QBs into good enough players to get a high draft pick in a trade. Jimmy Garropolo is the latest example. He was a second round pick that turned into a first round pick in the SF trade.

Drafting great players is always a good move for your organization because it adds value to your team. You can still find other players at other positions too. When you draft by need only, you miss a lot of excellent players.

True, just remembering that we got Gallup in the 3rd round and a player like Antonio Brown was a 5th rounder. There is the fact that Hurns and Austin will only be here for 1 more year. That's probably part of why TE is considered a priority.

fansince68

Reaction score
RB is the only position I wouldn't address, because I don't think anyone in the second is going to be better than Zeke and it's too high for a depth pick.

Otherwise, we aren't dominant enough at any other position for them not to consider the right player if available.
What if a player like Tyreke Hill is available at the bottom of the 2nd round? Hill was drafted in the 5th round. T Hill is an absolute game changer.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What if a player like Tyreke Hill is available at the bottom of the 2nd round? Hill was drafted in the 5th round. T Hill is an absolute game changer.

The fact Tyreek Hill was drafted in the 5th round tells you it’s not that easy to identify a player like Tyreek Hill.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Is there any position that you would oppose us addressing in the second round?

I think they need starting quality players at TE, S and DT so I just hope they focus there. They seem set at CB, LB, RB, and QB so those positions would bother me. I think the best draft philosophy is best available player at a position of need with a value overlay - meaning trade down if best available player is at a position you do not need.

Sydla

Reaction score

Again, those guys like to tout BPA as if it's hard and fast rule but in reality the Cowboys blend BPA and need.

And if I recall, they blessed the Cooper trade because we need a WR and likely were going WR in the first round anyway. But that wouldn't be BPA for sure. So they can't have it both ways.

LittleD

Reaction score
The one position you shouldn't draft in the 2nd this year is a RB. I would not like to draft a Guard there either. DT, OT, TE or WR
makes the most sense.

JayFord

Reaction score
Third base, shortstop and point guard

I want to draft interior d lineman