Any position you oppose in 2nd?

kskboys

Reaction score
If a real talent drops into the 2nd round, I don't care what position he plays. An upgrade is an upgrade. Drafting a position is a fools errand. Late second round is a place where you can draft anyone, except punters and kickers. If a quality QB prospect dropped into round 2 I would take him if I thought he was the real deal. Who knows, maybe we trade him or Dak for a 1st round pick later on, like the Steve Walsh deal.
If we draft a RB, he'd be riding the pine. Why would you be OK w/ drafting a bench player?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
It depends on what drops. QB is probably the only position I avoid. If I can find a running back that I can come in and be a change of pace back and help in the receiving game? I wouldn't be opposed to that. Anyone can come right in help.

The only other position is tight end which I know is going to drive people nuts but I really don't expect a tight end at that point to be any better than what we have right now. To me tight end makes more sense if I can get a 1st round prospect there.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
If we draft a RB, he'd be riding the pine. Why would you be OK w/ drafting a bench player?

If you'd take a running back in the 2nd round he wouldn't be riding the pine. I'd imagine that player would replace what little Austin and Rod Smith give.....as well as more.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The only positions would be RB or WR, even if they let Beasley walk. I am assuming they're extending Prescott so no QB in the 2nd.

I'd like to see a DT but I think this is going to be a blast from the past, TE.
Yep ..Definitely going to be TE. Lol

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think the player hydration unit is well stocked.

kskboys

Reaction score
If you'd take a running back in the 2nd round he wouldn't be riding the pine. I'd imagine that player would replace what little Austin and Rod Smith give.....as well as more.
And wouldn't improve the team all that much.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
IDK.. we saw some impressive 2 RB combos this year which had more effective and productive running games than we did with the leagues leading rusher.

I think if our strength is going to be our running game we could use a strong 2nd RB. That doesn’t mean it has to be a 2nd round pick.

kskboys

Reaction score
Why do people make such strange proclamations when referring to the draft?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
IDK.. we saw some impressive 2 RB combos this year which had more effective and productive running games than we did with the leagues leading rusher.

I think if our strength is going to be our running game we could use a strong 2nd RB. That doesn’t mean it has to be a 2nd round pick.
It doesn't. But I'm saying if you see a guy who should've been a 1st round pick fall to you in the 2nd round.....I wouldn't be opposed to it. Or if the best player on your board is a running back? Go for it.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
For Defense, any position but DL. For offense, any position but OT. And please, not a second round TE again - go with Swaim, Schultz, and Jarwin.

Oh no, I'm taking any position at DL that is a value at the spot we pick. I'm taking any promising OT that is a value at our pick. I'm taking a TE that can catch and block at our pick, if it's of value. I honestly, would consider any position except Kicker or Punter.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
And wouldn't improve the team all that much.

Probably not. But that can be said about an position we take there in the 2nd round. The Cowboys are at a point where they are stacked at a lot of positions. You are going to be limited on who comes straight in and makes a immediate impact anyway. You already know a linebacker can't do that. A quarterback can't. A tight end can't. I'm all for best player available and if that's a running back? I wouldn't be against it.

lukin2006

Reaction score
TE if one is available. This is why I disagree with their approach to free agency. One of the ways you can help yourself when you do not have a 1st round pick is to try and sign an impact FA.

Sydla

Reaction score
I can't see the logic in taking a TB or WR in the 2nd unless there was a clear steal there. So I don't think it would be wise to use a 2nd on either of those positions.

The OL is interesting. You could look for a solution for Smith but honestly, I think they might be better off along the OL than some think, assuming people are healthy. If Frederick is healthy, Looney can move to OG. I think I'd start giving Williams some reps as OT as well. Yes, people will claim he cant play OT because he has short arms but there are some pretty good OTs out there that don't have the prototypical long arms. They have options along the OL IMO but I could never complain about taking another OL, assuming an OT type. I think it would be kind of silly to take an OG.

LB would be a waste of a pick IMO. They have their two main LBs.

CB? Ehhhh. I was very bullish on Awuzie and he played a bit better down the stretch but if there is a stud CB there, I am not sure taking him would be bad. It would give you some flexibility with Jones............. maybe you don't want to hand over a massive contract to Jones at CB in order to keep the cap situation in decent shape.

Doomsday77

Reaction score
You would take an RB over say a DT if all things graded out the same knowing he would be a back up? Seriously? He's not replacing Austin who BTW is a great return man and WR/Slot

Sydla

Reaction score
And DE would not be off the table for me despite us likely having Lawrence back and Gregory.