Anyone catch the Collinsworth bit about Dak saying he was never coached like this?

mmohican29

Reaction score
He took a Quincy Carter QB'd team that had stunk for three straight 5-11 seasons to a 10-6 playoff appearance. It was a coaching miracle.
Except it wasn't, when the following year he went 6-10. 34-30 over 3 seasons. *0* playoff victories.

And (*insert FB name here*) John Carney is all alone in the flat AGAIN for the walk in score.

And Will Furrey is humming footballs post score @ our field perimeter.

F Parcells.

Last edited:

cowboyed

Reaction score
Jerry made McCarthy keep his hands off while Moore was here
Or maybe McCarthy diligently took the play calling reins over when he felt he finally had enough individual player capability insight and fire power and also Dak finally willing to conquer his foot work issues. I am not a fan of Jerry the GM, besides that he has been a figurehead in that role by many accounts.

I don't think McCarthy is the type of head coach that you can curtail from doing his job as he sees fit. Moore stayed on board because McCarthy thought he was a talented offensive coordinator and deserving of the opportunity to continue in that role year to year.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
100%..

Who is this Dak Prescott? He’s unbelievable right now.
This is the Dak Prescott I told you was in him all along. I didn't know when it would manifest itself but I have always been confident that Dak has the ABILITY to play at this level. I have always blamed his shortcomings coming out of college on the crap training he received in college and the continued shortcomings on the crap coaching he was getting in Dallas. I could always see the talent. I just didn't know what it would take to bring it out. Now I know.. It took Mike McCarthy to bring it out.

btgboys41

Reaction score
Sure, but he wasn’t the OC and he wasn’t the QB coach. It seems obvious that he felt Dak could benefit from his more direct guidance.

So far, the results bear that out, do they not?
Results are inarguable for sure. No question in my mind. I remember what all the narratives were as the last few season ended and coach Mac was a big part of that. I refuse to fully blame KM because coach Mac and above had every opportunity to move on from him prior.

Mac deserves a ton of credit now though. He was great today.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Coach Mac has been there longer than this season. Like it or not, he was part of the last few years too.
Sure but he was saddled with Kellen Moore from the Garret era. When you are a head coach and don’t get to hire your staff, the team becomes compartmentalized. Moore was a Jerry staff pick and Mike couldn’t just walk in take over the offense.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
Did you catch the comment from Collinsworth about his talk with Dak and how the lightbulb just went on? Am I interpreting this wrong? Is he just not used to West Coast Offenses? Took Romo about the same amount of time to just "get it" too. Dak made it sound like no coach until Big Mac took over the offense had ever shown him the right way to play QB and have a quick read and release? Wonder how many careers we killed with Jerry's hand-picked offensive coordinators Garrett & Kellen? LOL
McCarthy is a damn fine coach. He has a long history on excellent Staffs with elite QBs and the WCO. Credit Dak for making the transition and putting Mike's tutelage to work.

Playmaker3128

Reaction score
They also talked about how dak simplified things. Goes through his two reads and if nothing there he starts using his legs. Buying time or ru Ning for yards. He doesn’t just sit there in the pocket anymore….. His internal clock is much better.

Doomsday77

Reaction score
And yet according to Forbes, from 2014 to 2019 (Not quite Garrett's tenure) the net worth of the Cowboys franchise rose from $3.2b to $5.5b. If my math is semi-accurate this is a 58% increase when are team and Coach were playing 50-50 ball. I doubt he is thinking this was a blunder. I agree with you 100% but it's all about the $$ with our owner.

foofighters

Reaction score
Did you catch the comment from Collinsworth about his talk with Dak and how the lightbulb just went on? Am I interpreting this wrong? Is he just not used to West Coast Offenses? Took Romo about the same amount of time to just "get it" too. Dak made it sound like no coach until Big Mac took over the offense had ever shown him the right way to play QB and have a quick read and release? Wonder how many careers we killed with Jerry's hand-picked offensive coordinators Garrett & Kellen? LOL
1. Garrett is/was not a coach in the sense of coaching players.
2. Boy Wonder is cut from the same cloth as JG.
3. Collinsworth just vomits most of the time and he's gotten worse since Michaels left.

So while what he says makes some sense now, when I heard him say it, it sounded like the drunk musings of a drunk that had been at the bar too long.

doomsday9084

Reaction score
Look what Kellen is doing with Herbert. Wait….

KM could get seriously get fired after one season, they have no excuses to be that bad.
You have two teams that are clearly better without Kellen than with him. In SD, they might fire the whole coaching staff. I suspect Kellen might get one more shot after this but the shine has come off him real fast.

What really pisses me off is that there was a rather large group of people on this forum who thought that his system sucked and its roughly the same system Dallas has used since the 00's when Garrett showed up. Dallas likely wasted more than a decade with a system that made its offense high octane but mistake prone.

If MM did nothing else for the organization, just him making it clear that system was problematic and not to use it was worth hiring him for.