Anyone catch the Collinsworth bit about Dak saying he was never coached like this?

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Did you catch the comment from Collinsworth about his talk with Dak and how the lightbulb just went on? Am I interpreting this wrong? Is he just not used to West Coast Offenses? Took Romo about the same amount of time to just "get it" too. Dak made it sound like no coach until Big Mac took over the offense had ever shown him the right way to play QB and have a quick read and release? Wonder how many careers we killed with Jerry's hand-picked offensive coordinators Garrett & Kellen? LOL
Well aside from the Linahan time, he's been under either a head coach and/or OC in training before this year.

CowboysFilmStudy

Reaction score
Did you catch the comment from Collinsworth about his talk with Dak and how the lightbulb just went on? Am I interpreting this wrong? Is he just not used to West Coast Offenses? Took Romo about the same amount of time to just "get it" too. Dak made it sound like no coach until Big Mac took over the offense had ever shown him the right way to play QB and have a quick read and release? Wonder how many careers we killed with Jerry's hand-picked offensive coordinators Garrett & Kellen? LOL
Big Mac is a phenomenal QB coach. I remember watching about his QB school that he used to do back in Green Bay during the offseason with Rodgers and Favre (before the collective bargaining agreement) he would put these guys through the ringer and push them physically and mentally. I have no doubt he is doing that with Dak. Can’t stress enough how great of a hire McCarthy was

DrunkWithPower

Reaction score
100%..

Who is this Dak Prescott? He’s unbelievable right now.
The west coast offense was built for him. He gets the ball out of his hands early and the defense (pass rush) stays out of his head. I have noticed a lot more scheming in the offense - MM has a command that KM did not. KM took advantage of 1:1 talent mismatches mostly, but MM really uses the personal to get receivers open with complimenting routes, He also employs a lot more picks and rubs, leaving the receiver open for the quick passes. I just wish he wouldn't forget about the quick slants every other game. Sometimes I feel like OC's get a little too cute in trying not to repeat what works. I say if it works, use it until they stop it.

BotchedLobotomy

Wide Right
Reaction score
Big Mac is a phenomenal QB coach. I remember watching about his QB school that he used to do back in Green Bay during the offseason with Rodgers and Favre (before the collective bargaining agreement) he would put these guys through the ringer and push them physically and mentally. I have no doubt he is doing that with Dak. Can’t stress enough how great of a hire McCarthy was
He got run out of Green Bay once Rogers decided that he knew more than the coach. I have always been on board with this hire.

ghst187

Reaction score
You have two teams that are clearly better without Kellen than with him. In SD, they might fire the whole coaching staff. I suspect Kellen might get one more shot after this but the shine has come off him real fast.

What really pisses me off is that there was a rather large group of people on this forum who thought that his system sucked and its roughly the same system Dallas has used since the 00's when Garrett showed up. Dallas likely wasted more than a decade with a system that made its offense high octane but mistake prone.

If MM did nothing else for the organization, just him making it clear that system was problematic and not to use it was worth hiring him for.
I really don’t get KMs struggles with the Bolts. Herbert is super arm talented, they have WRs, an RB, and have actually taken a big step backwards this year. Makes you wonder what our offenses could’ve put up ditching KM sooner.
I always thought KMs system might work well with Brady or Manning running it, a QB who is nearly flawless in reads and ball placement always but Dak certainly isn’t that. I think Dak needed a better system for him and that appears to be what MM has given him. Dak has shone brightly since.

ghst187

Reaction score
He could/should but I think the HC is even on a "hotter" seat than KM
Yeah he HAS to be toast. He’s super obstinate and defensive about him being the problem too. They are way more talented than their results in the field.

kskboys

Reaction score
Many.

MM is a legit NFL HC. We haven't had one of those since Tuna.

kskboys

Reaction score
Seriously. Where's that thread about Jerry not being a Top 3 meddling owner?

That's the problem though when your owner is the GM. Some decisions get more weight than they should.
I didn't even click on that one, as it's so obvious that he's the #1 worst meddling owner in the NFL. There's not a close 2nd. If they are claiming that he's not, it's just stupid clickbait.

kskboys

Reaction score
I really don’t get KMs struggles with the Bolts. Herbert is super arm talented, they have WRs, an RB, and have actually taken a big step backwards this year. Makes you wonder what our offenses could’ve put up ditching KM sooner.
I always thought KMs system might work well with Brady or Manning running it, a QB who is nearly flawless in reads and ball placement always but Dak certainly isn’t that. I think Dak needed a better system for him and that appears to be what MM has given him. Dak has shone brightly since.
KMo's system forces the QB to sit in the pocket waaaay too long. Think about it, Herbert is hurt. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It sounded to me like he was talking about the West Coast offense in particular. Not that he wasn't also praising McCarthy and his ability to teach it, but it struck me as a style of play that makes sense and fits for him.

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
Many.

MM is a legit NFL HC. We haven't had one of those since Tuna.
It’s not even like he’s great. He’s good with flaws that are well established. Wasting that decade on Garrett is getting progressively more frustrating.

doomsday9084

Reaction score
Its my understanding that Garrett's system was similar to Norv Turner's system and its a descendant of the Air Coryell passing game. I think that is why Jerry was so patient with it because he saw it work.

That said, why it worked with Aikman and Irvin and others was a massive amount of repetition and a good bit of discipline. Aikman knew where Irvin was going, Novacek, etc.

When you look at some of the bad throws from Dak over the past few years they frequently were the result of him and the receiver not being on the same page. A guy would break differently than Dak expected. Overall, I just don't think that KM has the discipline to really implement this system correctly and it bites him at the wrong time.

From what I understand, the MM system really takes a lot of this out of play. The QB reads are simpler, the WR options are reduced, etc. There is just less statistical room for mistakes and that is bearing itself out with higher completion percentages and lower INT rates.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
It sure made it very difficult on us fans knowing that we would be out coached most weeks and we had no chance in big games
Yes, I cant figure out why Jerry was so enamored with him?
We squandered a couple of HOF careers, Jason, Ware.
Romo's as well.
This is Exhibit A, on why he should not be the GM.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Coaching matters...something Jerry never understood.
Do you think he's starting to understand now ?
This reminds me of his ill advised comment that any 500 coaches could have won the early 90s SBs.
Jerry acts like its only matters about talent.
Well with a salary cap, all talent is somewhat equal and coaching is the difference maker.