Anyone catch the Collinsworth bit about Dak saying he was never coached like this?

McKDaddy

Reaction score
You have to take some of these as hyperbole. I believe the quote was "I've been playing QB wrong my entire life"" that floored me. I mean no player can actually say that no coach has ever tried to teach them the importance of synchronizing their movements with the routes. It's QB 101. Make no mistake, I think JG was a complete fraud as an HC but the guy was a complete disciple of timing systems, right?

It also makes me wonder if Dak might now realize why players like Amari got fed up with him not understanding this. Imagine having Amari "always open" Cooper to go along with these other weapons.

Whiskey Cowboy

Reaction score
Except it wasn't, when the following year he went 6-10. 34-30 over 3 seasons. *0* playoff victories.

And (*insert FB name here*) John Carney is all alone in the flat AGAIN for the walk in score.

And Will Furrey is humming footballs post score @ our field perimeter.

F Parcells.
Look what he had to work with. The 2004 season that you referenced....
QB1 was released in training camp. He was left with Drew Henson, an ancient Vinny Testaverde, and a green Tony Romo at QB.
RB1 was an over the hill Eddie George.
RB2 was an over the hill Richie Anderson, who got hurt
WR1 was a slow, over the hill Keyshawn Johnson.
WR2, Terry Glenn got hurt 6 games into the season
The right side of the OL was pathetic.
Adams and Allen on the left were good, but Allen was in steep decline
The front 7 was respectable
LB was probably the strength of the team
CB had a young Newman and a bunch of guys that shouldn't have been in the league
The safeties going into the season were stellar. Woodson and Williams were as formidable as they came. Woodson got hurt, and Williams never looked the same.

The franchise was a disaster before Bill showed up. 5-11 for 3 consecutive seasons, piss poor drafting, leading to an old, worn down shell of the dynasty of the 90's.

2003-2006 we saw some major improvements to the roster, roster management, scouting, and drafting, which set the stage for the revival of the franchise.

Put another way, the 2003 season saw 5 Cowboys selected to the pro bowl, 3 all-pro's. We saw 13 pro bowlers and 5 all pro's in 2007 under Wade Philips coaching the team Parcells built. More importantly, we saw a shift in overall dynamic and atmosphere throughout the organization. The scouting processes improved exponentially and the organization really began to build the roster through the draft. We saw a level of accountability and professionalism that we hadn't seen under previous regimes.

X's and O's and gameday decision making maybe had passed him by at that point. Roster and team building had not. He brought this franchise back from the dead and set the stage for the sustainably successful organization that we see today. You may not have liked the product you saw on the field, but there was maybe one coach alive that could've done the job Parcells did, and he was coaching the Patriots in the Super Bowl the year Bill was hired.

ghst187

Reaction score
Its my understanding that Garrett's system was similar to Norv Turner's system and its a descendant of the Air Coryell passing game. I think that is why Jerry was so patient with it because he saw it work.

That said, why it worked with Aikman and Irvin and others was a massive amount of repetition and a good bit of discipline. Aikman knew where Irvin was going, Novacek, etc.

When you look at some of the bad throws from Dak over the past few years they frequently were the result of him and the receiver not being on the same page. A guy would break differently than Dak expected. Overall, I just don't think that KM has the discipline to really implement this system correctly and it bites him at the wrong time.

From what I understand, the MM system really takes a lot of this out of play. The QB reads are simpler, the WR options are reduced, etc. There is just less statistical room for mistakes and that is bearing itself out with higher completion percentages and lower INT rates.
Good post! Agree, needed to make it a bit more Dak friendly.

leeblair

Reaction score
Did you catch the comment from Collinsworth about his talk with Dak and how the lightbulb just went on? Am I interpreting this wrong? Is he just not used to West Coast Offenses? Took Romo about the same amount of time to just "get it" too. Dak made it sound like no coach until Big Mac took over the offense had ever shown him the right way to play QB and have a quick read and release? Wonder how many careers we killed with Jerry's hand-picked offensive coordinators Garrett & Kellen? LOL
This is probably true. Dak came in under Garrett, who knew NOTHING ABOUT COACHING.
McCarthy has shown that he does, and it's helping.

Blackrain

Reaction score
Yes, I cant figure out why Jerry was so enamored with him?
We squandered a couple of HOF careers, Jason, Ware.
Romo's as well.
This is Exhibit A, on why he should not be the GM.
Another instance where Jerry was out to prove he was a football guy and found a coach that was better than everybody else like the new Tom Landry or something but it just didn't transpire.

Garrett kept this team mired in mediocrity for a decade continuing to go 8 and 8 the NFL's version of purgatory not quite good enough to make the playoffs and not bad enough to draft well

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Another instance where Jerry was out to prove he was a football guy and found a coach that was better than everybody else like the new Tom Landry or something but it just didn't transpire.

Garrett kept this team mired in mediocrity for a decade continuing to go 8 and 8 the NFL's version of purgatory not quite good enough to make the playoffs and not bad enough to draft well
Fact!

blueblood70

Reaction score
Jerry made McCarthy keep his hands off while Moore was here
absolute garbage ,

nonsense
a terrible narrative!!!

Mike could have at anytime went and had a little talk about his footwork you're trying to tell me that the head coach couldn't talk to the quarterback at all??!!

are you telling me he couldn't coach him in practice and tell him to try to get the ball out on the second or third drop step?? Please stop believing the things you hear on the Internet it's not true Jerry did not make McCarthy not get involved with the offense he chose to not get involved with the offense itself but that doesn't mean he couldn't coach up his own quarterback trying to tell me it was it was oh don't ever talk to Prescott ever!!! That's another dumb narrative stop with the narrative Jerry does not meddle...

yes Mike McCarthy chose to not change the offense or get involved with play calling but he had carte blanche with all players and he could coach Prescott anytime he wanted it's being overblown even the narrative that Prescott just now getting it because even last night he was not getting the ball out on every second step or third step drop, that was only if his first read was open then he had to move around and look for some other reads but yes he's getting the ball out quicker thank God because their offensive line is still not playing up the par..

SO STOP with the parroting of absolute nonsense that Jerry meddles and tells his head coaches to not do things like coach his quarterback...lmao man these little tales keep getting more and more ridiculous...

It's as simple as this it was a different offense it was not a timing based offense it was a read based offense to where both the receivers and the quarterback had to be on the same page reading the defense and there were two or three different routes they could run off what they both believed they were seeing and that took time sometimes and they were not on the right page all the time...

And now they're running schemes and routes to where there's more just a call and the receiver knows exactly what route he needs to run how deep he needs to run it and how much yardage he needs to run it before he turns whichever way he's supposed to and the quarterback knows where he's going to be so now sometimes he's releasing the ball quicker before he's turning much like the old offense that Troy Aikman used to be in it's called more timing based they call out numbers for their wide receiver which tells them exactly what to run and everybody is more on the same page which allows the quarterback to get the ball out quicker because he's not waiting on the receiver to run a specific route and then they both guessed wrong that's what was happening it's no longer happening as much because they've changed the way they run the routes....

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
Except it wasn't, when the following year he went 6-10. 34-30 over 3 seasons. *0* playoff victories.

And (*insert FB name here*) John Carney is all alone in the flat AGAIN for the walk in score.

And Will Furrey is humming footballs post score @ our field perimeter.

F Parcells.
It was a coaching miracle. You just can't get passed your own ego.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Did you catch the comment from Collinsworth about his talk with Dak and how the lightbulb just went on? Am I interpreting this wrong? Is he just not used to West Coast Offenses? Took Romo about the same amount of time to just "get it" too. Dak made it sound like no coach until Big Mac took over the offense had ever shown him the right way to play QB and have a quick read and release? Wonder how many careers we killed with Jerry's hand-picked offensive coordinators Garrett & Kellen? LOL
Some of it is the difference between schemes. McCarthy wants quick footwork to move through progressions and get the ball out fast, which is more customary in West Coast offenses. Dak is constantly resetting his feet to get to the next progression. The Garrett/Linehan/Moore scheme kept the QB in more of a static position to maintain form/technique before shifting footwork when necessary to throw. A lot of coaches don't want the QB hopping around like a bunny rabbit because it can lead to them narrowing their base, throwing with their feet not set, etc. McCarthy wants Dak to keep his base but move his feet as his progressions take him across the field. That way he doesn't have to adjust after he sees the throw; he's in position to throw it. It's all quick read and move on if the throw isn't there. The West Coast is a much more quarterback friendly offense, but it is generally considered more of a dink and dunk offense because of the tendency to get rid of the ball quickly. However, neither Rodgers or Dak have been dink-and-dunk QBs in the system, even though we were kind of doing that early in the season.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Norm back on Ticket this week and was listening to his show. Norm being nicer on Jerry but his partner not so much for forcing Mac and others to inherit their OC.

Good point from Norm on Big Mac confronting Jerry this offseason. 'If my job is on the line, you must let me do my thing with the offense!' An 'if you want me to cook the dinner, let me buy the groceries' moment.

Parcells made him implement his 3-4. Big Mac made him implement his offense. Garrett made him...erm... well, at least spent first rounders and build a dominant O-Line like we had in 90's.

He may force coordinators on them too much, but at least he allows them to go out their way I suppose.

They also went through week 5 versus now on offense. Amazing how much Big Mac has opened it up. Night/day on presnap motion, bunch formations, and so many things. I wish I had written it down.

Started conservative because he didn't trust them yet to take it and run, and admittedly some probably from guys like CeeDee wanting to open it up, but props to Big Mac for listening.

Last edited:

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
Do you think he's starting to understand now ?
This reminds me of his ill advised comment that any 500 coaches could have won the early 90s SBs.
Jerry acts like its only matters about talent.
Well with a salary cap, all talent is somewhat equal and coaching is the difference maker.
I hope so. McCarthy is the best coach we've had since Parcells left and it's showing on the field. But all those wasted years. We've had some good teams in the last 27 years and we've had a lot of below average coaching.

Praxit

Reaction score
..lol.. yep, we've been career killers for sure. Romo was first casualty, unfortunately.

Praxit

Reaction score
Some of it is the difference between schemes. McCarthy wants quick footwork to move through progressions and get the ball out fast, which is more customary in West Coast offenses. Dak is constantly resetting his feet to get to the next progression. The Garrett/Linehan/Moore scheme kept the QB in more of a static position to maintain form/technique before shifting footwork when necessary to throw. A lot of coaches don't want the QB hopping around like a bunny rabbit because it can lead to them narrowing their base, throwing with their feet not set, etc. McCarthy wants Dak to keep his base but move his feet as his progressions take him across the field. That way he doesn't have to adjust after he sees the throw; he's in position to throw it. It's all quick read and move on if the throw isn't there. The West Coast is a much more quarterback friendly offense, but it is generally considered more of a dink and dunk offense because of the tendency to get rid of the ball quickly. However, neither Rodgers or Dak have been dink-and-dunk QBs in the system, even though we were kind of doing that early in the season.
..thanks for that tidbit. Informative.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
absolute garbage ,

nonsense
a terrible narrative!!!

Mike could have at anytime went and had a little talk about his footwork you're trying to tell me that the head coach couldn't talk to the quarterback at all??!!

are you telling me he couldn't coach him in practice and tell him to try to get the ball out on the second or third drop step?? Please stop believing the things you hear on the Internet it's not true Jerry did not make McCarthy not get involved with the offense he chose to not get involved with the offense itself but that doesn't mean he couldn't coach up his own quarterback trying to tell me it was it was oh don't ever talk to Prescott ever!!! That's another dumb narrative stop with the narrative Jerry does not meddle...

yes Mike McCarthy chose to not change the offense or get involved with play calling but he had carte blanche with all players and he could coach Prescott anytime he wanted it's being overblown even the narrative that Prescott just now getting it because even last night he was not getting the ball out on every second step or third step drop, that was only if his first read was open then he had to move around and look for some other reads but yes he's getting the ball out quicker thank God because their offensive line is still not playing up the par..

SO STOP with the parroting of absolute nonsense that Jerry meddles and tells his head coaches to not do things like coach his quarterback...lmao man these little tales keep getting more and more ridiculous...

It's as simple as this it was a different offense it was not a timing based offense it was a read based offense to where both the receivers and the quarterback had to be on the same page reading the defense and there were two or three different routes they could run off what they both believed they were seeing and that took time sometimes and they were not on the right page all the time...

And now they're running schemes and routes to where there's more just a call and the receiver knows exactly what route he needs to run how deep he needs to run it and how much yardage he needs to run it before he turns whichever way he's supposed to and the quarterback knows where he's going to be so now sometimes he's releasing the ball quicker before he's turning much like the old offense that Troy Aikman used to be in it's called more timing based they call out numbers for their wide receiver which tells them exactly what to run and everybody is more on the same page which allows the quarterback to get the ball out quicker because he's not waiting on the receiver to run a specific route and then they both guessed wrong that's what was happening it's no longer happening as much because they've changed the way they run the routes....
its not just the footwork that's making him better. he worked on his footwork a few years back and its continued improvement. but play calling is a lot different. MM schemes guys open, attacks all of the defensive zones and pressure the defense to cover the entire field. Moore ran 4 players on 12 yard hook routes, thinking he would fool them. Moore waiting for dfenders to hopefully make a mistake, as opposed to MM forcing the defense to make a mistake. the route combinations, are night and day since last year. the routes are much better than last year. so its not all about the footwork. Jerry Forced moore onto MM, and MM passive aggressively did say, he doesn't get involved in offense and doesn't understand the terminology.

and yes, its not non-sense. Jerry meddles. Jerry hired Garrett, then hired wade and said, here is your OC. jerry forced Moore, a one year coach at any level anywhere to be the OC for garrett and Jerry said he reports to him. Jerry forced MM to keep Moore. so yeah, jerry meddles.

RonWashington

Reaction score
Chris Collinsworth just might be my least favorite sidekick to the play by play . And Mike Tirico :facepalm:

That whole NBC package except Dungy and Harrison is Practice squad stuff .