Anyone catch the Collinsworth bit about Dak saying he was never coached like this?

OGSixshooter

Reaction score
i think folks who are blaming Garrett are more likely blaming the style of offense. The Norv Turner/Air Coryell offense has different principles than the West Coast offense.

I do agree that it's dumbfounding that Jerry got MM for the very purpose of "fixing" Dak...only to have that stalled because the offense was #1. I guess behind the scenes MM was preaching for/against certain things and then when we lost and Dak looked somewhat broken...he won the power struggle. And Dak had to learn the West Coast offense with timing, rhythm, footwork and route-running all being coordinated.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
I hope so. McCarthy is the best coach we've had since Parcells left and it's showing on the field. But all those wasted years. We've had some good teams in the last 27 years and we've had a lot of below average coaching.
Yep, Jerry wanted a comfort level.
Hope it was worth all the failure he and us endured.
He can't step down as GM soon enough.
He broke trust with us fans.
Years we will never get back.
Careers that were wasted.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Which is one of the things that happen when you start running an O w/ shorter routes.
By my eye, Dak doesn't just have lots of space, he has it for a long time. Could be wrong. Not like I'm sitting there with a stopwatch each play. Maybe some of that is him just *looking* more comfortable and unhurried as he gets more comfortable in the system. But it does often seem like a very clean pocket for a long time.

zerofill

Reaction score
his footwork would get sloppy at times which led to inaccuracy.
At times? Until this season it was always bad... Just horrible.

Something is clicking right now... I don't want to jinx it, because I am sick of ripping Dak lol

cowboyed

Reaction score
Sure but he was saddled with Kellen Moore from the Garret era. When you are a head coach and don’t get to hire your staff, the team becomes compartmentalized. Moore was a Jerry staff pick and Mike couldn’t just walk in take over the offense.
So Mike McCarthy must be liar for publicly stating he was impressed with Kellen, interviewed him and decided to go with him as OC. So McCarthy brought in most of his coaching staff but somehow had to put up with Kellen obsessive Jerry? Don't buy that at all because Mike cut Kellen loose, did he not? First year Cowboys head coach McCarthy would have been a fool not to have wanted to keep Kellen for the short haul because he also considered him a creative offensive mind. Mike had solid reasons to call his own plays and Kellen Moore was given his walking papers and that sat very well with Jerry and Stephen. The irony is that posters in here were squawking about letting Kellen Moore go. Sounds more like McCarthy has the appropriate reins for running this wagon.

I am beginning to wonder if global warming is being blamed on Jerry Jones by some posters in here because the top of his head is generating so much heat from his toupe.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So Mike McCarthy must be liar for publicly stating he was impressed with Kellen, interviewed him and decided to go with him as OC. So McCarthy brought in most of his coaching staff but somehow had to put up with Kellen obsessive Jerry? Don't buy that at all because Mike cut Kellen loose, did he not? First year Cowboys head coach McCarthy would have been a fool not to have wanted to keep Kellen for the short haul because he also considered him a creative offensive mind. Mike had solid reasons to call his own plays and Kellen Moore was given his walking papers and that sat very well with Jerry and Stephen. The irony is that posters in here were squawking about letting Kellen Moore go. Sounds more like McCarthy has the appropriate reins for running this wagon.

I am beginning to wonder if global warming is being blamed on Jerry Jones by some posters in here because the top of his head is generating so much heat from his toupe.
What is he supposed to do when put in that situation? Express his displeasure having to be stuck with Moore? He did what he had to do to land the job.

Coaches lie all the time. Nothing new here.

nobody

Reaction score

I don't have an opinion on whether McCarthy wanted him there or not. Given the circumstances, it's possible he was forced on him and McCarthy might have been making the best of it. Who knows? What we do know is that he's a proven liar. He lied to Jerry to get the job and readily bragged about it. He's a good coach and is doing good things for the team, but trusting anything he says? Probably not.

blueblood70

Reaction score
That was bad but we wasted 2 years hiring a super bowl winning playcaller and not let him call play so boy wonder could learn on the job.

Sorry it was an egregious error.
NOT LET LMAO Nope, not how it went down..C19 transition year tons of injuries MM CHOSE to let KM coach because Dak had repour and comfort level with KM and didnt want to make a drastic change,

the irony here is you thinking that when we had a couple #1 ranked offenses,

also, CC say what he want doesn't make it true they added quicker drop and throw to the offense but its not NEW nor groundbreaking... had to the OL has been wildly inconsistent and WR core less than stellar in the read option routes.

NOTHING that couldn't have been suggested earlier MM is in control of the TEAM and the staff if he wanted to have dak to change his footwork, all he had to do was suggest it,..

prescott's always been good this place thinking somehow this is some NEW occurrence are the ones who were haters in the first place..

Illiniferret

Reaction score
Except Parcells sucked here as HC, and really didn't keep Romo in check.

Parcells did 3 things in Dallas:

1) discovered Romo and had the guts to name him starter.

2) Drafted Jason Witten and Ware

3) Quit
4) passed on Steven Jackson

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
What is he supposed to do when put in that situation? Express his displeasure having to be stuck with Moore? He did what he had to do to land the job.

Coaches lie all the time. Nothing new here.
Parcells took Zimm in from the previous staff AND stuck with him even though the 3-4 transition. The two both remain tight today. So it happens.

I'm sure it was a bit of both. I'm sure Jerry asked all candidates what they thought about a job where they have to keep their OC, and I'm sure Big Mac thought it could work.

But his job was on the line. Folks were here saying it's a shame Kellen Moore was the fall guy for the Playoff defeat. Well.... YEAH, that's the point. This ain't no Union where everyone keeps their job if we underperform. That's baseball. LOL

Eightneight

Reaction score
What I see is dak isn't holding on to the ball anymore and the new system has helped/ forced him to be decisive with his reads and throws. Credit to MM. He has changed the team and culture in Dallas. Huge fan here.

Montanalo

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Regardless of Collingsworth's comments, Dak seems to moving around outside the pocket more often. Not scrabbling, necessarily, just sliding in the pocket. He has been deadly when he moves.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
i think folks who are blaming Garrett are more likely blaming the style of offense. The Norv Turner/Air Coryell offense has different principles than the West Coast offense.

I do agree that it's dumbfounding that Jerry got MM for the very purpose of "fixing" Dak...only to have that stalled because the offense was #1. I guess behind the scenes MM was preaching for/against certain things and then when we lost and Dak looked somewhat broken...he won the power struggle. And Dak had to learn the West Coast offense with timing, rhythm, footwork and route-running all being coordinated.
I didn't necessarily blame the offensive style. every offense these days has mix of plays that cross over from one to other, crossing patterns, etc. but its the play calling. the route combination, the purpose behind a call and the play design. Garrett and Moore depended greatly on players executing perfectly and depended on them to pull out a play. sounds like, wait, doesn't every play? yes, but they didn't put the players in position to succeed. Moore's routes developed late in the route often and WR and QB had to read the same defender, the same way for them to execute a play and they ended up on the wrong side often. the route combinations were often not good, as Moore had a tendency to run the WRs into the same area, hoping to confuse the defense, and that didn't work often. he tended not to attack the whole field, even when we had 4 WRs. Garrett's play calling was stale, predictable.

game day play calling is probably the most critical part of an OC's job and the good ones, are really good on game day.

its not about fixing Dak, its about putting players in position to succeed and maximizing what they are good at. instead of forcing them to play a certain way.

Dak's footwork hasn't really been a problem in past years, as about 5 years ago, when Kitna started to work with him, it improved a lot. he has more confidence in the play calls, the routes and plays. and it shows. he is in rythm with the plays.

OGSixshooter

Reaction score
I didn't necessarily blame the offensive style. every offense these days has mix of plays that cross over from one to other, crossing patterns, etc. but its the play calling. the route combination, the purpose behind a call and the play design. Garrett and Moore depended greatly on players executing perfectly and depended on them to pull out a play. sounds like, wait, doesn't every play? yes, but they didn't put the players in position to succeed. Moore's routes developed late in the route often and WR and QB had to read the same defender, the same way for them to execute a play and they ended up on the wrong side often. the route combinations were often not good, as Moore had a tendency to run the WRs into the same area, hoping to confuse the defense, and that didn't work often. he tended not to attack the whole field, even when we had 4 WRs. Garrett's play calling was stale, predictable.

game day play calling is probably the most critical part of an OC's job and the good ones, are really good on game day.

its not about fixing Dak, its about putting players in position to succeed and maximizing what they are good at. instead of forcing them to play a certain way.

Dak's footwork hasn't really been a problem in past years, as about 5 years ago, when Kitna started to work with him, it improved a lot. he has more confidence in the play calls, the routes and plays. and it shows. he is in rythm with the plays.
Dak's footwork has been a problem and if you watch any tape review by Kurt Warner, Chase Daniels, JT Sullivan, etc...they all comment on Dak's "unconventional" and erratic footwork. Before you wet yourself, not all great QBs have had conventional footwork and even some SB winning QBs like Eli Manning were routinely criticized for throwing off his backfoot.

Dak's footwork has never been good or classic and it's why he has had - so far - streaky accuracy. It's no accident that with more disciplined footwork he's seeing more consistent accuracy.

Ken

Reaction score
NOT LET LMAO Nope, not how it went down..C19 transition year tons of injuries MM CHOSE to let KM coach because Dak had repour and comfort level with KM and didnt want to make a drastic change,

the irony here is you thinking that when we had a couple #1 ranked offenses,

also, CC say what he want doesn't make it true they added quicker drop and throw to the offense but its not NEW nor groundbreaking... had to the OL has been wildly inconsistent and WR core less than stellar in the read option routes.

NOTHING that couldn't have been suggested earlier MM is in control of the TEAM and the staff if he wanted to have dak to change his footwork, all he had to do was suggest it,..

prescott's always been good this place thinking somehow this is some NEW occurrence are the ones who were haters in the first place..
Uh....you are not telling me anything I don't know. I was saying this the entire time we had the number one offense bc I knew we had nothing for defense who could match our talent.

I knew boy wonder didn't know offense better than Dak did...they were peers.

Imagine if the Chiefs hired Andy Reid and didn't let him install his offense and call the plays?

That is how dumb it was.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Parcells took Zimm in from the previous staff AND stuck with him even though the 3-4 transition. The two both remain tight today. So it happens.

I'm sure it was a bit of both. I'm sure Jerry asked all candidates what they thought about a job where they have to keep their OC, and I'm sure Big Mac thought it could work.

But his job was on the line. Folks were here saying it's a shame Kellen Moore was the fall guy for the Playoff defeat. Well.... YEAH, that's the point. This ain't no Union where everyone keeps their job if we underperform. That's baseball. LOL
Parcels hired his own staff. He’s the only coach under Jerry other than JJ to be allowed to do so. If BP hired Zimm, it’s bc he knew him and trusted him. That how parcels worked.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Parcels hired his own staff. He’s the only coach under Jerry other than JJ to be allowed to do so. If BP hired Zimm, it’s bc he knew him and trusted him. That how parcels worked.
He didn't know him beforehand. And I'm sure Zimm still interviewed and talked with him, just like Kellen did with Mac. Remember, a lot of Parcells team were either with Belichick or promoted up the tree. Parcells had to get word of mouth on Zimm, Payton, and others who didn't coach or play with him.

Blackspider214

Reaction score
Coach Mac has been there longer than this season. Like it or not, he was part of the last few years too.
Except this was still Kellen Moore's offense. MM has finally taken over the offense this season.

Moore is terrible and LAC are seeing what we warned them about. Moore is a branch of one of the worst coaching trees out there. Garrett/Linehan. He melts down and has no idea how to adjust, especially in the playoffs.