Anyone else hear Rappaport say we have an affinity for Lincoln Riley

Sully

Reaction score
I can see Riley as an offensive Head Coach, but you'd better damn better find a good defensive coordinator, ie Richard, because his Oklahoma's defense SUCKS!!!!

Very True ! Heard this stat: 20 QBs are on track for passing for 4,000 this season. Last season, only 8 threw for 4,000+. Thta is from 8 to 20 and Prescott is not even close to 4000. Now to add to this. The New Orleans Saints are 7-1 and have the 31st rated passing defense. Saints have a horrible defensive secondary and are still 7-1. That is what a potent offense can do.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
It was on NFLN about a half hour ago. Was surprised I didn’t see it posted. He said of course this doesn’t happen if Garrett’s around but said he heard that Jones’s like what he did with Baker Mayfield. This season was worth it if it ends with Lincoln Riley
I think the bigger issue is Riley interested in the NFL?

There’s been several rumbles with interest in him but those around Riley have denied he has any interest.

zekecowboy

Reaction score
It was on NFLN about a half hour ago. Was surprised I didn’t see it posted. He said of course this doesn’t happen if Garrett’s around but said he heard that Jones’s like what he did with Baker Mayfield. This season was worth it if it ends with Lincoln Riley

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/201...ott-linehan-both-before-season-and-during-bye

It was also reported that internally it is believed that Jason Garrett will finish out the rest of the season. But what about next year?

The Cowboys reportedly have an “affinity” for University of Oklahoma head coach Lincoln Riley. It has been talked about all season how bland, boring, and prehistoric this offense has looked at times, and Riley runs a very uptempo, pass-heavy offense at Oklahoma that the NFL is starting to prefer. Riley has been asked about making a move to the NFL in the last few weeks, and kindly shut them down but didn’t rule it out in the future. It will be interesting to see how his tune changes if the Cowboys are in fact interested, and the college football season is over with.

Reports are just reports, but this report seems to hold a little bit more weight than just a normal report that we get on most Sundays. It sounds as if Jason Garrett will finish out the season as the head coach, but Scott Linehan on the other hand may not be as lucky. It all sounds like time may be running out for Jason Garrett if he can’t get this thing turned around by the end of the season.

/formatted by staff

Last edited by a moderator:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Imagine if Riley is interested in the NFL. Where do you think he’d rather go. Cleveland or Dallas ?

Mayfield or Prescottt?

Jerry or no meddling owner ?

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
Very True ! Heard this stat: 20 QBs are on track for passing for 4,000 this season. Last season, only 8 threw for 4,000+. Thta is from 8 to 20 and Prescott is not even close to 4000. Now to add to this. The New Orleans Saints are 7-1 and have the 31st rated passing defense. Saints have a horrible defensive secondary and are still 7-1. That is what a potent offense can do.
I kept saying that now a days, you can win with bad defenses. That's what the NFL wants.

blueblood70

Reaction score
https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/201...ott-linehan-both-before-season-and-during-bye

It was also reported that internally it is believed that Jason Garrett will finish out the rest of the season. But what about next year?

The Cowboys reportedly have an “affinity” for University of Oklahoma head coach Lincoln Riley. It has been talked about all season how bland, boring, and prehistoric this offense has looked at times, and Riley runs a very uptempo, pass-heavy offense at Oklahoma that the NFL is starting to prefer. Riley has been asked about making a move to the NFL in the last few weeks, and kindly shut them down but didn’t rule it out in the future. It will be interesting to see how his tune changes if the Cowboys are in fact interested, and the college football season is over with.

Reports are just reports, but this report seems to hold a little bit more weight than just a normal report that we get on most Sundays. It sounds as if Jason Garrett will finish out the season as the head coach, but Scott Linehan on the other hand may not be as lucky. It all sounds like time may be running out for Jason Garrett if he can’t get this thing turned around by the end of the season.

you can say that about all the Big 12 schools and many college teams..theres a lot more young talent out there then just Riley, so if he says no, how about Texas Tech you see that Offense just score at will with their 3rd QB of the year? a freshman I believe? im longhorn fane and we were lucky to survive that last night, also Kingsberry was a QB in a similar offense and he also coached Mahomes..might be a lot easier luring him here than Riley. How about Oklahoma state man these teams are like watching track meets.. ive said all along maybe The TCU head coach Patterson is the most NFL ready and can get an OC and run and offense and at times some great defenses in the past with less talent then the larger schools he faced..

Last edited by a moderator:

Galian Beast

Reaction score
Garrett's not dumping Linehan because it would clearly shift the spotlight to him. If Linehan is gone, who can they blame next?

He will attempt to shift blame to Dak, but this might be a deal breaker as he convinced Jerry to to with Dak over Romo.

Garrett might be at the end of his scapegoats.

aria

Reaction score
Screw Lincoln Riley, I don’t understand the infatuation with him. Every time some college coach has a few decent seasons this fan base goes ape for them. The guy has barely scratched the surface as a HC and his defense sucks. I could see him being another gimmicky version of Chip Kelly and be a bust in the NFL.

lukin2006

Reaction score
Believe me, there isn't a soul reading this that hates the Eagles any more than I do but the very best thing that can happen is for the Cowboys to get completely embarrassed tonight. It would suck, it will piss you off but it's best for this team in the long run.

Basically we need the ole Bismarck Bomber to save us. One way or the other I always knew he would.

Eagles by 30. Garrett gone tommorow, Richard the interim the rest of the season and then we can seriously talk about things like Riley.

Cowboys!

Agreed...

cern

Reaction score
Philly is teaching us how to put together a good team in a short period of time. It begins with a good gm and hc. Not our fault Jerry doesn't get it.

lukin2006

Reaction score
There is always the risk that a college coach could be the next Chip Kelley. It's also possible that Lincoln Riley turns out as well as Jimmy Johnson did...

GenoT

Reaction score
Riley’s in what...his second season as a college HC?

How about seeing if can consistently win big, over time, at that level first, before anointing him “Cowboys savior”?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
There is always the risk that a college coach could be the next Chip Kelley. It's also possible that Lincoln Riley turns out as well as Jimmy Johnson did...
It’s always a risk the NFL is willing to take. Not many making the leap anymore after Saben and Spurrier failed.

Plus the money is close and security is so much better along with power and control of your program in NCAA.

Only reason Kelly bolted is probation looming.

The NFL simply isn’t as attractive anymore .

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

How about seeing if can consistently win big, over time, at that level first before anointing him “Cowboys savior”?

He's also been a proven coordinator as well for several years. Anything is better than the guy we're currently stuck with, who never proved anything before he was gifted the job.

lukin2006

Reaction score
He's also been a proven coordinator as well for several years. Anything is better than the guy we're currently stuck with, who never proved anything before he was gifted the job.

I agree. JG should go become a high school head coach first...No team in their right mind would hire this simpleton...

Galian Beast

Reaction score
Screw Lincoln Riley, I don’t understand the infatuation with him. Every time some college coach has a few decent seasons this fan base goes ape for them. The guy has barely scratched the surface as a HC and his defense sucks. I could see him being another gimmicky version of Chip Kelly and be a bust in the NFL.

I agree that he hasn't had enough sustained success to warrant choosing him over others. I'll take anyone over Garrett though. The Jones not having any real experience of their own, have never valued experience as much as they should.

Diehardblues

Reaction score

How about seeing if can consistently win big, over time, at that level first, before anointing him “Cowboys savior”?
We don’t even know if he’s a good recruiter yet. That’s still Stoops guys.

Most likely it’s been more about the talent which OU has been dominating Big 12 for years.

Riley won’t have more talent than most his competition in NFL. That’s always an equalizer in NFL.