Anyone else still mad we didn't move up and get Vea or James?

DFWJC

Reaction score
Vea
If you look at how the draft unfolded, it's pretty easy to see that Vea was our of the question.
To move ahead of Tampa (who took Vea) you'd have to have the planets align perfectly and have Miami decide that want to pass on stealing Minkah Fitzpatrick so we could give them our 1st and 2nd round picks. But if they did, the trade would be us giving up Vander Esch and Conner Williams for Vea..
IF (huge if) everything went perfectly. To move higher it would just get worse.

James
More reasonable possibl;ity but still not easy.
To get James, our target would probably need to be Oakland--who seemed up for dropping down that day because Miller was their target and was getting overdrafted a bit.
So if they decided to risk passing on Miller at 15 (after already risking it at 10 and having that risk pay off) and hoping he was there at 19, we could maybe get them to trade pick 15 and a 7th to us for picks 19 and 81.
So we trade LVE and Gallup for James and a 7th.
Again, BIG if that they would even drop down there.

JustChip

Reaction score
I'm still pretty upset we didn't move up into a better position in this draft

With 5 QB'S going in the first round this is a year moving up a few sports to get a dominate player would have been easy...

Remember we could of had Vea or James....

To me LVE is a project and not a dominant player​

Not upset at all. There's another thread on CZ about former 1st round players that haven't lived up to their billing/hype for whatever reason and would they be worth pursuing. The thing to recognize about that thread is there are zero guarantees even with blue-chip 1st round players. James and Vea, and LVE for that matter, may be talked about in 2 years as busts, maybe not. But the only insurance against a pick being a bust is more premium picks (1st to 3rd in my book, 4th if it's a mid to high 4th). Giving up a 3rd to get James means he better work out and definitely Vea would have to work out because of what it would've cost to get him.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm still pretty upset we didn't move up into a better position in this draft

With 5 QB'S going in the first round this is a year moving up a few sports to get a dominate player would have been easy...

Remember we could of had Vea or James....

To me LVE is a project and not a dominant player​
Not at all. Yes it would have been easy to do. But there is a cost associated with making those moves. I'd rather have the OL fixed right now with Williams wouldn't you?

Also your wrong about LVE. Very much so.

Mobinvans

Reaction score
Not at all. Yes it would have been easy to do. But there is a cost associated with making those moves. I'd rather have the OL fixed right now with Williams wouldn't you?

Also your wrong about LVE. Very much so.
How your right, I just dont see it but I would be ecstatic if he panned out

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
Oh look a "they did not take my pet cat" thread.
Yes, its gets annoying. I try to avoid most of them. But its difficult after the draft, a large majority of the threads are whining about the players we didn't get or whining about the players we did get.

Silver Surfer

Reaction score
I'm guessing you'd be OK with skipping the first night of next year's draft..... because that's what it would have cost you to get Vea.

bayeslife

187beatdown
Reaction score
At the time I was mad but I’m glad we didn’t trade any picks given the players we were able to get

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Nope. Linebacker was a crucial need. No doubt Vea in particular could have helped, but safety wasn't nearly as big a need as linebacker...

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I'm not mad at all.

If we didn't draft Vander Esch then we would still have our biggest weakness on defense and that's a linebacker that can cover over the middle.

I don't think some of you guys understand how big of a hole that was for our team last year.

The middle of our pass defense was just an absolute joke and it was mostly linebackers that can't cover.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Nope. The only player I would have moved up for is Vea and that would simply have cost too much. Love the player but I'm good with what we did.