Anyone else still mad we didn't move up and get Vea or James?

RandyOh

Reaction score
I'm not huge on the LVE pick in fact slightly against, but what they got both in the second and third were absolute steals, they actually made a good SECOND ROUND PICK OMFG.
Not a fan of Awuzie in the 2nd in the 2017 draft?

kskboys

Reaction score
I'm still pretty upset we didn't move up into a better position in this draft

With 5 QB'S going in the first round this is a year moving up a few sports to get a dominate player would have been easy...

Remember we could of had Vea or James....

To me LVE is a project and not a dominant player​
I'm not mad about anything concerning this draft. Overall, we did a good job.

Silly to be mad just because they didn't follow your wishes.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
The potential of LVE + Connor significantly outweighs that of Vea or James.

I was upset initially they didn't move up, but looking back at how things played out I'm glad they didn't

Reactions: BAT

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I wanted Edmunds.
Hope I'm wrong.
Why?

Edmunds vs Vander Esch is an interesting topic.

Both have more than enough size and athletic ability.

Vander Esch +3 pounds.
Edmunds +1/4" height

Edmunds had a faster forty but Vander Esch had a faster Ten, better Broad Jump and better bench. Edmunds didn't perform any of the other drills. Vander Esch had an elite Vert and 3-cone.

With with similar measurables, it really comes down to the mental side to distinguish. We as fans we don't get to interview them but we can made some educated guesses.

Vander Esch learned at a rapid pace with noticable improvement in his 1 season of starting.

Edmunds was still very raw despite more starting experience.

Media interviews that we could see. Edge to Vander Esch.

Basically Edmunds was drafted a fews spots ahead of Vander Esch primarily because he started more games and played a little higher level of competition which made him a lower risk (in theory).

For me, the mental makeup for a 4-3 MLB or WLB is more important than small differences in physical ability. Sean Lee vs Bruce Carter is the perfect example. Carter was one of the best overall athletes to ever play for the Cowboys. Sean Lee's mental-makeup/instincts/work-ethic are as good as any player the Cowboys have had on defense.

Even Hitchens with below average size and average at best performance measurables was better than Carter due to a better mental makeup.

Basically when deciding between the two, I would ask the question "Who will become most similar to Sean Lee in terms of mental makeup?"

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Why?

Edmunds vs Vander Esch is an interesting topic.

Both have more than enough size and athletic ability.

Vander Esch +3 pounds.
Edmunds +1/4" height

Edmunds had a faster forty but Vander Esch had a faster Ten, better Broad Jump and better bench. Edmunds didn't perform any of the other drills. Vander Esch had an elite Vert and 3-cone.

With with similar measurables, it really comes down to the mental side to distinguish. We as fans we don't get to interview them but we can made some educated guesses.

Vander Esch learned at a rapid pace with noticable improvement in his 1 season of starting.

Edmunds was still very raw despite more starting experience.

Media interviews that we could see. Edge to Vander Esch.

Basically Edmunds was drafted a fews spots ahead of Vander Esch primarily because he started more games and played a little higher level of competition which made him a lower risk (in theory).

For me, the mental makeup for a 4-3 MLB or WLB is more important than small differences in physical ability. Sean Lee vs Bruce Carter is the perfect example. Carter was one of the best overall athletes to ever play for the Cowboys. Sean Lee's mental-makeup/instincts/work-ethic are as good as any player the Cowboys have had on defense.

Even Hitchens with below average size and average at best performance measurables was better than Carter due to a better mental makeup.

Basically when deciding between the two, I would ask the question "Who will become most similar to Sean Lee in terms of mental makeup?"

That's true, but the freaky thing about Edmunds is his age. He's only 19 years old and has a ton of room to improve mentally and physically. The upside with him is Tyron-esque.

I will admit that Edmunds' lack of instincts really worries me, cause that's easily the #1 bust factor for linebackers.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That's true, but the freaky thing about Edmunds is his age. He's only 19 years old and has a ton of room to improve mentally and physically. The upside with him is Tyron-esque.

I will admit that Edmunds' lack of instincts really worries me, cause that's easily the #1 bust factor for linebackers.
Edmunds 20 during the season.
Vander Esch 21 during the season.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Once Edmunds and James slipped to 15 I was 100% on board with trying to make a move for one of them.

Probably could've been had for a 3rd, or maybe a 3rd/5th.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm still pretty upset we didn't move up into a better position in this draft

With 5 QB'S going in the first round this is a year moving up a few sports to get a dominate player would have been easy...

Remember we could of had Vea or James....

To me LVE is a project and not a dominant player​
Surely by now we’ve learned the Cowboys don’t value inside DTs in round one. Russell Maryland in 1990 was the last time they took one in round one. Vea was probably never that high on their priories.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Once Edmunds and James slipped to 15 I was 100% on board with trying to make a move for one of them.

Probably could've been had for a 3rd, or maybe a 3rd/5th.
So WR Gallup or WR Gallup and QB White.

I'll keep our guys.

kskboys

Reaction score

I'm against drafting really young players in principle. Because no matter how good he CAN be, you are drafting a project.

Drafting young players should be reserved for the mid/late rounds. By young, I mean generally under 21.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Both Edmunds and Vander Esch are in the "young" group referenced in the article (i.e. 21 or younger on Sept 21st of their draft year).

Statistically it does not mean much because only super talented players get drafted early at the 21 and under ages. Players that stay to their senior years on average are not as talented. More talented players are more likely to succeed in the long run.

igtmfo

Reaction score
Todd Archer / ESPN got some intel - once Vea was off the board LVE was our next target ... not Derwin James etc. ... I can't find the story now sorry.

Reactions: BAT