Anyone else warming up to Chase?

kskboys

Reaction score
I’d disagree, it seems like you obviously prefer drafting need over talent.

That’s perfectly fine, and it’s ok we disagree, but to act like it’s not rational to discuss taking a significantly better player instead of overreaching
for need is foolish.
After watching last night, what would be foolish would be NOT drafting D.

cowboyec

Reaction score
if you do a mock draft on nflmockdraftdatabase...parsons is the 4th rated player.
so you could make the case parsons is both bpa and fills a need.

all this will be much clearer months from now.

cnuball21

Reaction score
After watching last night, what would be foolish would be NOT drafting D.

I understand you want defense...but you still haven’t answered the question. If Parsons is gone and there isn’t a trade down partner who are you taking?

cnuball21

Reaction score
Marvin Wilson.

I like the player, but he's a top 50 prospect not a top 10 prospect. He's a fringe 1st rounder / 2nd rounder on most boards I've looked at.

In the top 10 I need a player that has NFL athleticism and top notch college production. I think he's a + athlete but we're talking about a dude that had 15 TFL over 34 college games. There's a cool stat out there called production ration which is basically TFL / game for DL and someone that is averaging 1+ TFL per game is a stud. He's not there.

I'd take him in the 2nd, maybe bottom of the 1st in a trade down, but def not the 1st. Chase is arguably a 20+ slots above him on a board in relation to talent. Understand ideally we're marrying need & talent, but that gap is WAY too big for me.

HungryLion

Reaction score
The cowboys either need to draft a QB or go defense.

if a defensive player isn’t worth the pick but you get a reasonable trade deal to trade back. Then you do it.

I just don’t see many situations where the offensive player is such a better prospect than the defender, that taking a WR or TE makes sense.

if Chase or Pitta is available. But so is Parsons. Take Parsons. There’s no way they are that much better a prospect than Parsons. But Parsons actually then fits the need.

Nothing else matters if the cowboys don’t fix their run defense. Nothing. They aren’t going to win games giving up 200+ Yards rushing every other game.

cnuball21

Reaction score
The cowboys either need to draft a QB or go defense.

if a defensive player isn’t worth the pick but you get a reasonable trade deal to trade back. Then you do it.

I just don’t see many situations where the offensive player is such a better prospect than the defender, that taking a WR or TE makes sense.

if Chase or Pitta is available. But so is Parsons. Take Parsons. There’s no way they are that much better a prospect than Parsons. But Parsons actually then fits the need.

Nothing else matters if the cowboys don’t fix their run defense. Nothing. They aren’t going to win games giving up 200+ Yards rushing every other game.

I have no interest in taking a QB bc if we extend Dak as I think we have a top 5 in the league.

That being said, I'd love to take Parsons or trade down and add picks if the opportunity presents itself. I think Chase is a more valuable pick than Parsons due to position value but I'd reach a little since the talent is close. The discussion was based around Parsons being gone and us NOT having a trade partner.

If that's the case I think there is quite a gap between Chase and the next defender. Farley has an injury history and I worry about Surtain's deep speed at CB. I'll be fine if we end up taking one of them as it is a bigger need but our run defense will still be terrible.

HungryLion

Reaction score
I have no interest in taking a QB bc if we extend Dak as I think we have a top 5 in the league.

That being said, I'd love to take Parsons or trade down and add picks if the opportunity presents itself. I think Chase is a more valuable pick than Parsons due to position value but I'd reach a little since the talent is close. The discussion was based around Parsons being gone and us NOT having a trade partner.

If that's the case I think there is quite a gap between Chase and the next defender. Farley has an injury history and I worry about Surtain's deep speed at CB. I'll be fine if we end up taking one of them as it is a bigger need but our run defense will still be terrible.

Oh. Well with no trade down partner and Parsons gone.

I suppose you would have to find a trade partner for Amari or Gallup or something for me to justify taking chase.

if you could trade one of them to acquire a later first rounder. I would be open to chase.

but man. Otherwise I think you may just have to “reach” a little on a corner or DE

cnuball21

Reaction score
Oh. Well with no trade down partner and Parsons gone.

I suppose you would have to find a trade partner for Amari or Gallup or something for me to justify taking chase.

if you could trade one of them to acquire a later first rounder. I would be open to chase.

but man. Otherwise I think you may just have to “reach” a little on a corner or DE

Yea I"m not saying it's right one way or the other...I think it's just a fun scenario and I'd love to know what the team is thinking.

Ideally you unload a Gallup for a draft pick but even if you don't just don't extend him and then you have an upgrade at WR on a rookie deal.

805BoysInBlue

Reaction score
Once again, we're in a bad position due to previous poor drafting. Drafting wisely is much more than just taking talented players. If we once again take a WR or CB in the 1st, we're simply beyond stupid.

Gawd that Jaylon pick is the bad pick that just keeps on giving!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Taco says hello

kskboys

Reaction score
I like the player, but he's a top 50 prospect not a top 10 prospect. He's a fringe 1st rounder / 2nd rounder on most boards I've looked at.

In the top 10 I need a player that has NFL athleticism and top notch college production. I think he's a + athlete but we're talking about a dude that had 15 TFL over 34 college games. There's a cool stat out there called production ration which is basically TFL / game for DL and someone that is averaging 1+ TFL per game is a stud. He's not there.

I'd take him in the 2nd, maybe bottom of the 1st in a trade down, but def not the 1st. Chase is arguably a 20+ slots above him on a board in relation to talent. Understand ideally we're marrying need & talent, but that gap is WAY too big for me.
A WR leaves us in the exact same mess we're in. No improvement.

bonafidebanter

Reaction score
The more I think about the possibility of selecting Chase with our top selection the more I'm warming up to it. I totally understand the defense is the main problem but unfortunately the top end of this draft is really weak in defenders outside of Parsons.

Chase would give us a young, elite pair of WRs for the future and would give us financial flex to not have to extend Gallup.

Having Lamb and Chase on rookie deals would hopefully allow us to use that money saved and attack FA defenders.

Thoughts?

No, just no.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Best I can figure it's a matter of focusing on the individual player w/o considering what makes the team better.

It’s taking a far superior talent over need. If the players are close in talent and the need player is only a few slots lower I’d take that player all day. That’s not the case here. I’m thinking about the makeup of the roster for the next 5 years and the financial impact of contracts.

I think it just comes down to you drafting based on need where I put more value into the talent while considering need. If you’re saying you’d draft Marvin Wilson over Jamarr Chase in the top 5 i think that about sums it up.