Anyone miss Byron Jones?

DFWJC

Reaction score
Fwiw, entering the season, Jones ranked 14th out of 64 starting NFL CBs (or 96 in nickel)

However, I do not miss his lack of ball skills

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I know I don’t !

Dude couldnt couldn’t catch a pass if his life depended on it

hated seeing him batting down passes and not even trying

It wasn’t a lack of effort he didn’t have good ball skills. He prevented a lot of plays by batting down balls but he wasn’t a playmaker. He had terrible hands, couldn’t catch anything. He definitely wasn’t worth the money Miami paid him. He’s only had 4 career INT’s. Diggs has more than doubled his INT total in only 21 games.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Hindsight sure, but byron is lowkey basic as hell. Id take a pro bowl right tackle over a supposed shutdown corner who doesn't get picks anyday. Dude gets beat more than people think.

The numbers show that to be the case. Jones was a good corner but not a lockdown or dynamic play-making type. With him on the verge of hitting free agency, the Cowboys saw him for what he is and elected to pass. As predicted, a team (Dolphins) threw money at him too rich for Cowboys’ taste.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I will give you credit Catch, I don't always agree with your takes, but you are consistent and was VERY pro resigning Byron (before we found out what Diggs was).
:clap:

People don’t refer to me as the best poster of all time for no reason.

jnday

Reaction score
I know I don’t !

In his defense, all of the Cowboys DBs for the last couple of decades have hands of stone. Jones was certainly not alone.

INCowboysFan

Reaction score
Both gives up yards and catches; only one delivers interceptions.
Yep. Byron Jones stats
2020 (14 games) - 44 completions on 77 targets, 60.3% complete against him, 775 yds, 17.6 yds per comp, 5 TD, 2 Ints, passer rating against was 108 and he missed 9 tackles
2021 - 19 completions on 30 targets, 63.3% complete against him, 261 yds, 13.7 yds per comp, 2 TD, 0 Ints, passer rating against is 113.3

Diggs
2020 (12 games) - 46 completions on 84 targets, 54.8%, 667 yds, 14.5 yds per comp, 5 TD, 3 Ints, 85.8 passer rating, missed 5 tackles
2021 - 12 completions on 26 targets, 46.2%, 171 yds, 14.3 yds per comp, 0 TD, 6 Ints, 28.4 passer rating, 3 missed tackles

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Byron was with MIA last year.

Football outsiders. I wasn't sure how to take this info until I saw that he allowed 10.6 yards per target and 17.6 yards per completion, both NFL worsts.

I have no doubt in my mind that Anthony Brown and Chido were worse than him last year.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Yeah, it's just annoying to see how our fans treat players who were good for us. We got Diggs so now it's, "ha ha, we didn't need you anyway." This is why I've always been a fan of players getting paid despite what fans think. Now everyone loves Zeke again whereas if I were him, I'd be like, "to Hades with y'all."
Right. No loyalty lol. Byron ain’t the one. He www a great player on and off the field for us. Save that energy for Jaylon if you must. But it’s odd it’s like people want to justify letting Byron walk so they want to revise his stay here. It was the right move letting him go but let’s not act like he wasn’t a good player here.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Hindsight sure, but byron is lowkey basic as hell. Id take a pro bowl right tackle over a supposed shutdown corner who doesn't get picks anyday. Dude gets beat more than people think.
I’d take a pro bowl right tackle over Byron too but what Pro Bowls have Collins made?

CowboysLegend365

Reaction score
Biggest misconception about Byron Jones is that he didn’t give up plays.

B. Jones
E2-C9-A2-B8-A799-4449-8-AA1-AE23-F6-B0-AE5-F.jpg

T. Diggs
F305-C29-A-F027-4154-A6-CF-62-FB2752237-C.jpg

This. We must have been watching two different Byron Jones’.

People on CZ like to act like he was a shut down corner but I never saw that. In my opinion he had one solid year, but he still gave up his fair share of plays. (Not saying anyone else doesn’t.)

Blackspider214

Reaction score
Jones was more of a lock down guy where Diggs is more of a ball hawk.

Diggs will get you INTS, but he'll also give up yards and catches. Jones will not give you INTS, but he won't give up a bunch of yards and catches.

They are just too different play styles.

Byron Jones is nothing more than a combine warrior and an overrated PFF player. Those dorks at PFF love him. And the narrative he was some lock down corner was a myth. I can't count how many times he was torched and trailing on so many plays. He was the opposite of a playmaker. Give me a guy like Diggs who can actually track the ball, has speed and awareness. Jones had none of that. Diggs makes a defense better. Jones does not. So glad we got rid of Jones. Now he is in Miami, on a defense that just gave up 45 points to Tampa. Good riddance.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
Byron Jones is nothing more than a combine warrior and an overrated PFF player. Those dorks at PFF love him. And the narrative he was some lock down corner was a myth. I can't count how many times he was torched and trailing on so many plays. He was the opposite of a playmaker. Give me a guy like Diggs who can actually track the ball, has speed and awareness. Jones had none of that. Diggs makes a defense better. Jones does not. So glad we got rid of Jones. Now he is in Miami, on a defense that just gave up 45 points to Tampa. Good riddance.
Why do yall think pff has player bias? His rankings with miami on pff have been trash.

quickccc

Reaction score
With what money? What money were they going to re-sign him with? Why do you think Jaylon Smith and his camp re-signed so fast? Stephen brought up his whole pie analogy.....there's a few pieces of pay and whoever gets them first will be on the team. Byron had no reason to sign early though because he was going to get paid.

Mind you, the Cowboys don't even value their secondary enough to even spend that type of money. Its full of draft picks and vet minimum deals right now lol.

And of course they aren't going to let Diggs walk. But if hypothetically they have a "few pieces of pie" left and it comes down letting someone go between Lamb, Dak, Micah and Diggs? For sure they'd let Diggs go over those other 3. Without a doubt. Now I don't think that will be the case because they should have enough money to re-sign them all.

For you to be asking "what money " ? ...
It's been proven time and time again, that you can restructure, maneuver and move existing contracts, to re-sign key "Core' players
- the same way they made Dak highest paid QB
- same way they made Zeke highest paid RB
- same way they made Zack Martin highest paid OG
- same way they made Dlaw among the highest paid defensive players (and DE's)
- same way they made Amari Cooper among very top of highest

The big key is Not tying up valuable cap money to average JAGs and mere serviceable guys,... they are Not core players.
and it would put us in a real tighter pickle, trying to get away from JAG contracts.
We've made past mistakes of that,(ala Crawford) but it can be debated if we are still doing so in the current day

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
For you to be asking "what money " ? ...
It's been proven time and time again, that you can restructure, maneuver and move existing contracts, to re-sign key "Core' players
- the same way they made Dak highest paid QB
- same way they made Zeke highest paid RB
- same way they made Zack Martin highest paid OG
- same way they made Dlaw among the highest paid defensive players (and DE's)
- same way they made Amari Cooper among very top of highest

The big key is Not tying up valuable cap money to average JAGs and mere serviceable guys,... they are Not core players.
and it would put us in a real tighter pickle, trying to get away from JAG contracts.
We've made past mistakes of that,(ala Crawford) but it can be debated if we are still doing so in the current day
Yeah but you can’t make 7 or 8 guys on your team max guys…you will end up like the Eagles this year.

lk8701

Reaction score
I know I don’t !

I would rather have him instead of Anthony Brown.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Rather talk about the present than discussing players that are no longer here......let's talk about how good we'd be with Randy White at DT??? Lol