Anyone miss Byron Jones?

quickccc

Reaction score
With what money? What money were they going to re-sign him with? Why do you think Jaylon Smith and his camp re-signed so fast? Stephen brought up his whole pie analogy.....there's a few pieces of pay and whoever gets them first will be on the team. Byron had no reason to sign early though because he was going to get paid.

Mind you, the Cowboys don't even value their secondary enough to even spend that type of money. Its full of draft picks and vet minimum deals right now lol.

And of course they aren't going to let Diggs walk. But if hypothetically they have a "few pieces of pie" left and it comes down letting someone go between Lamb, Dak, Micah and Diggs? For sure they'd let Diggs go over those other 3. Without a doubt. Now I don't think that will be the case because they should have enough money to re-sign them all.

As far as not paying secondary guys big dollars,, first off who did we have besides " All pro" Byron that was even warranted of a big contract ?
Even Brandon Carr (the last secondary guy we paid for such a contract upon FA)... never came close to living up to that signing, and i would have
initially wondered if that bust signing, probably played a part on Jones management not to invest unless they really viewed that DB as a Core player.

- If we had made the trade for Jamal Adams (thank goodness) per our offer..not only would high picks (per Lamb) would've been surrendered
but i cannot imagine the Cowboys thinking that they would Not have eventually address Adams' highest paid contract demands,
..something he eventually received with the current NFL team that traded a ransom for a safety.

- If we had traded for Earl Thomas (another thank goodness dodged) which reportedly we were prepared to give a 2nd round pick if not
for the coveted Connor Williams surprisingly dropping to that slot, ..and again i could Not imagine the Cowboys Not thinking that they would not
have to address Thomas's contract demand to become one of the highest paid safeties.

kskboys

Reaction score
As far as not paying secondary guys big dollars,, first off who did we have besides " All pro" Byron that was even warranted of a big contract ?
Even Brandon Carr (the last secondary guy we paid for such a contract upon FA)... never came close to living up to that signing, and i would have
initially wondered if that bust signing, probably played a part on Jones management not to invest unless they really viewed that DB as a Core player.

- If we had made the trade for Jamal Adams (thank goodness) per our offer..not only would high picks (per Lamb) would've been surrendered
but i cannot imagine the Cowboys thinking that they would Not have eventually address Adams' highest paid contract demands,
..something he eventually received with the current NFL team that traded a ransom for a safety.

- If we had traded for Earl Thomas (another thank goodness dodged) which reportedly we were prepared to give a 2nd round pick if not
for the coveted Connor Williams surprisingly dropping to that slot, ..and again i could Not imagine the Cowboys Not thinking that they would not
have to address Thomas's contract demand to become one of the highest paid safeties.
Byron was not "warranted" of a big contract. He was and is just an OK player.

quickccc

Reaction score
Byron Jones is nothing more than a combine warrior and an overrated PFF player. Those dorks at PFF love him. And the narrative he was some lock down corner was a myth. I can't count how many times he was torched and trailing on so many plays. He was the opposite of a playmaker. Give me a guy like Diggs who can actually track the ball, has speed and awareness. Jones had none of that. Diggs makes a defense better. Jones does not. So glad we got rid of Jones. Now he is in Miami, on a defense that just gave up 45 points to Tampa. Good riddance.

Byron was selected All pro and pro bowler his first starting year as a pure CB under Kris Richard, who was smart enough to move him from a lost FS, to a much more natural and better suited press CB.

He was more than a "combine warrior' once that move was made.

Proof

Reaction score
Jones was more of a lock down guy where Diggs is more of a ball hawk.

Diggs will get you INTS, but he'll also give up yards and catches. Jones will not give you INTS, but he won't give up a bunch of yards and catches.

They are just too different play styles.

yeah with that said, i do miss him. and would like to see him paired with diggs. would have loved to have jaylon's contract go to byron.

Jarntt

Reaction score
Not sure the point here. Imagine Byron and Diggs together? Damn...

jnday

Reaction score
I'd rather have Diggs than Byron....but if you are trying to convince yourself that you'd rather have Anthony Brown than Byron? You are kidding yourself. I don't want Byron's salary but like I said in another post yesterday.....what's the difference between wasting money on Byron when you wasted it on Jaylon and Collins?
You can add DLaw in with Jaylon and Collins. I think they wasted a lot of money when they overpayed DLaw. He should get 5-6 million less that what they signed him for. There is little doubt that resigning B Jones would have offered better value than than Jaylon. For a while , it looked like Collins deserved the big payday and he was playing at a very high level. Some people thought he was outplaying most of the OTs in the league, on the right or left side. Things have really went down the toilet for him in these last couple of seasons.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I know I don’t !

Dude couldnt couldn’t catch a pass if his life depended on it

hated seeing him batting down passes and not even trying

Why would miss that no play making quiet football nice guy?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score

There are cornerbacks and safeties in free agency every year they could sign…..

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
You can add DLaw in with Jaylon and Collins. I think they wasted a lot of money when they overpayed DLaw. He should get 5-6 million less that what they signed him for. There is little doubt that resigning B Jones would have offered better value than than Jaylon. For a while , it looked like Collins deserved the big payday and he was playing at a very high level. Some people thought he was outplaying most of the OTs in the league, on the right or left side. Things have really went down the toilet for him in these last couple of seasons.
I agree. And as a fan you grow to like these guys like they are apart of your family. I love Tank and Collins. But man what a horrible return on investment….especially Collins…

quickccc

Reaction score
There are cornerbacks and safeties in free agency every year they could sign…..

sign CBs and safeties just for the sake of signing one ? .. not because he fits or suits what you do best,..what you prefer ?....what your scheme does ?

mrmojo

Reaction score
Byron was a RKG for JG...he had a great year before he left but I can honestly say I never saw him as a shutdown corner...I have no idea how he is doing now, its like I never heard about him again.