Twitter: Archer: Cowboys won't be looking at top free agents

fivetwos

Reaction score
So they restructure Cooper and Lawrence. Which both players are In our future plans. So it’s not an issue. You free up say $25 million cool. Release Chris Jones for another 2 million saved.

So on the low, let’s say we free up $20 million. These are based off of PFF predictions and market value

FS Malik Hooker, one year $2 million
CB Bashaud Breeland, two year $10 million (5 per)
DT Jurrell Casey, one year, $5 million
LB Denzel Perryman, two years, $13 million (6.5 per)

That’s $18.5 million for four starters and upgrades four defensive positions of need BEFORE the draft.
That entails a "go for it" type strategy that Jerry surprisingly has been unwilling to do.

Probably the kid talking him out of it.

This would give us a monumentally better chance to win over the next few years, but there is also likely to be a ton of dead money.

I dont disagree with your approach, but the tram doesn't seem to want to go that route and risk a season or two with a ton of dead money.

IMO, that sounds like the complete opposite of Jerry's line of thinking and 100% like the kid.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Don’t tell @rocyaice that, according to him the salary cap is fictional and doesn’t prohibit any team from signing anyone they want. It’s just a made up number that has no implications.
Dak just signed a 160 million dollar....so the Cowboys are in cap hell right? They have no way of signing anyone right? Just because you misunderstood my point is not my fault. Jerry and co. sold y'all this crap about "piece of the pie"....please. Just for them to give Dak everything he wanted and more. Yeah I'm not worried about no "salary cap hell".

Carson

Reaction score
When have we been able to do this? I'm drawing a blank tbh. Sign a FA that starts and contributes. That's kinda sad tbh.
I don’t disagree. Every free agency I show up super excited only to find Jerry is on vacation and then we end up signing Cedric Thornton and Nolan Carroll lmao

Carson

Reaction score
That entails a "go for it" type strategy that Jerry surprisingly has been unwilling to do.

This would give us a monumentally better chance to win over the next few years, but there is also likely to be a ton of dead money.

I dont disagree with your approach, but the tram doesn't seem to want to go that route and risk a season or two with a ton of dead money.

IMO, that sounds like the complete opposite of Jerry's line of thinking and 100% like the kid.

I cannot disagree with your take there. Valid points

Chuck 54

Reaction score
As it’s been for several years, this has nothing to do with how much money they have. It’s simply an operating philosophy. We have already seen the top two young safeties franchised yesterday. Safety may have to be addressed in The draft with Moehrig, Holland, Cisco, Sterns, Gillespie. It’s too easy to franchise safeties because they aren’t paid well.

This is a deep draft for CB, S, DT....just not much star power at the top. Definitely thinner at LB and Edge.

fivetwos

Reaction score
You know what's funny is that doing the above could end up just like last years free agency class...but I'd still be fore it. You just never know what you will get in these free agents but I like the approach anyway.
The problem is too many second contract types mail it in after getting paid for real.....and Dallas provides the perfect environment for getting away with that.

So yeah, the bust rate would probably be huge.

Then again, if we average one top FA per decade, we are still due for one.

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
I don’t disagree. Every free agency I show up super excited only to find Jerry is on vacation and then we end up signing Cedric Thornton and Nolan Carroll lmao
Yeah I wasn't being cute, maybe initially but dawned on me when typing...we haven't had a FA contribution in the standard sense in a long time. Ro McClain (rejuvenation project) is where I'm stalled at. Ken Hamlin? Cripes lol Iriving was a practice squad steal. Randall Cobb and Hurns is all I got.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score

This is the approach they took the past two offseason...they've just had some misses on the guys. Everson Griffen was a win now move.

Carson

Reaction score
As it’s been for several years, this has nothing to do with how much money they have. It’s simply an operating philosophy. We have already seen the top two young safeties franchised yesterday. Safety may have to be addressed in The draft with Moehrig, Holland, Cisco, Sterns, Gillespie. It’s too easy to franchise safeties because they aren’t paid well.

This is a deep draft for CB, S, DT....just not much star power at the top. Definitely thinner at LB and Edge.

I don’t disagree the draft is deep.

But several starting qualify safeties out there. Hooker, Jenkins, Boston, Neal, Allen, Kazee, Tartt, Harmon

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
The problem is too many second contract types mail it in after getting paid for real.....and Dallas provides the perfect environment for getting away with that.

So yeah, the bust rate would probably be huge.

Then again, if we average one top FA per decade, we are still due for one.
It is but its also weird because they bargain bin shop which means they are getting guys who still have something to play for for the most part. They have to tawny away from the Everson Griffen's and Dontari Poe's...they've made too much money to try and play for something at this point in their careers. They need to go after guys who have never been paid. Who's equivalent to a guy like Randy Gregory who is in his 20's and still looking for that pay day?

phildadon86

Reaction score
lol yeah studs everywhere.. Those studs wouldn't make the playoffs without the offseason FA additions.

FA won them a championship.
LOL. You are so obtuse and stuck in your ways its like arguing with a child or someone that is 80 years old. Their entire core was built thru the draft. You make it seem like guys like Evans, Godwin, Vita Vea, Tristan freaking Wirfs were FA's. They did awesome in FA and of course it helped, but their CORE was built thru the draft. If we nail our draft and go heavy on defense we can compete.

fivetwos

Reaction score
"Team don't lose players that they want to keep." - Orlando Scandrick, and 10 minutes ago.

"If the guy is a free agent there's a reason his team let him go." - Scandrick again, 5 minutes ago.

"We like our guys." - Stephen Jones, ad nauseam.
I can't STAND that narrative.

Theres plenty of times a player has reached the back end of a backloaded deal and is no longer worth the salary but has something left.

The Spagnola idea of ".....if he's so good then why..." makes me ill.

Ita an excuse for the FO to not be exposed for what they arent even moreso than they already are.

Carson

Reaction score
Yeah I wasn't being cute, maybe initially but dawned on me when typing...we haven't had a FA contribution in the standard sense in a long time. Ro McClain (rejuvenation project) is where I'm stalled at. Ken Hamlin? Cripes lol Iriving was a practice squad steal. Randall Cobb and Hurns is all I got.

Even those guys were in need of a change of scenery or on one year prove it deals.

Carr was the last guy we signed that wasn’t a super vet, cheap or on a prove it deal

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
LOL. You are so obtuse and stuck in your ways its like arguing with a child or someone that is 80 years old. Their entire core was built thru the draft. You make it seem like guys like Evans, Godwin, Vita Vea, Tristan freaking Wirfs were FA's. They did awesome in FA and of course it helped, but their CORE was built thru the draft. If we nail our draft and go heavy on defense we can compete.

Every teams core is built thru the draft.

They won their championship in FA.