Twitter: Archer: Cowboys won't be looking at top free agents

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
They have had 8 good seasons during that 25.

Two of them were one seed chokes, which bother me more than the 5-11s.

The caliber of players that came through here during the last 20 of those years and they couldn't ever once advance past the divisional round?

Having a soft coach that makes the owner comfortable is priority over good coaching.

THAT.....if nothing else, needs to be changed.

So, even those "very good" years ended up in tremendous disappointment.

I wouldn't say a word about this if they had maybe made it to a SB and lost....or maybe an NFCGC appearance or two.

Mostly.....its been all about full underachievement in Dallas, to one degree or another.

If THATS what you insist on trusting in and feel like it's a solid plan, then thats up to you.
So, what's there to change? In that 25 years, we changed every position, every coach, and even changed locations the Cowboys call home.

Sydla

Reaction score
I mean anyone expecting they would be dabbling in the top of the market FA pool is an idiot. They haven't done this for a decade.

You just have to hope they work that middle ground instead of hitting the Nolan Carroll bucket Stephen loves to rummage through.

They know the defense needs a lot of work so they can't honestly think they will solve it through the draft and the slop bin in FA. They had better find one or two good mid-level guys.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
He sure does knock those out of the park every year doesn't he?
No, they don't exist every year so there is no way he could knock them out of the park every year. I know you were being sarcastic but you were also revealing your ignorance by supposing a reality that does not exist.

Sydla

Reaction score
Archer knows nothing. He's just assuming like the rest of us are based on history.

LOL.

If anyone would know it's Archer. But sure, keep thinking this year will be different.

aria

Reaction score
It doesn't exist lol. Its a myth. Why do you always ask me this and I give out the same answer like my opinion on this is gonna change lol? Its not. Cap hell is a myth Jerry and Stephen wants you to believe in case if things fail so they can blame Dak's contract.....
Lol lol lol lol...I just like to remind myself and everyone else how ignorant you are. Lol LOL

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Hopefully we can hit on a couple draft picks and continue developing ones from previous years.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
It’s not like we have really used FA to go out and land big name talent anyway in recent years. Basically we have looked for bargains or cheap risk.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
anyone who expected differently hasn't been paying attention for the last 8-9 years

Thats why I don’t even bother reading the threads about ‘free agents’. Those posting them don’t understand the realities of this team and are wasting their time talking about them.

Focus on the draft, we will NOT be players in free agency.

csirl

Reaction score
Dak and Zeke are going to play defense - back to the old days of 2 way players.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Thats why I don’t even bother reading the threads about ‘free agents’. Those posting them don’t understand the realities of this team and are wasting their time talking about them.

Focus on the draft, we will NOT be players in free agency.

Exactly......amazing some are forgetting or overlooking Stephen Jones was bargain shopping even on Dak's rookie contract.

817Gill

Reaction score
Honestly, this is the what we expected. But key word is top free agents.

We can still land starters at DT, LB, FS or CB for reasonable deals.
Exactly, the OP kind of implies that if we don’t sign the top FA’s on the market then we can’t have a successful FA class. It’s not one or the other between bargain bin and top FA. There’s a middle ground with solid veteran starters and young guys who are looking for a short term prove-it deal.

visionary

Reaction score
Didn’t Archer predict the Cowboys would let Dak walk in free agency. The Cowboys have a plan and I actually trust the Joneses because nobody saw the Dak signing coming.

“trust the Joneses”

:lmao2::lmao2:

please don’t make these posts this close to lunch

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Exactly......amazing some are forgetting or overlooking Stephen Jones was bargain shopping even on Dak's rookie contract.

To say nothing of what Stephen's bungling of Dak's contract extension is now set to cost the team and take away from current and future salary caps. He's done an abysmal job handling contracts and if Daddy didn't own the team, he would have rightfully been fired.

EPL0c0

The Funcooker
Reaction score
Jerry jumps in the FA bargain bin ... once he can see the bottom

the last 2 “big time” FA he has signed were: Carr & TO?

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
Dumb, it is the perfect year to reverse our bargain bin policy and go hard in FA.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

Well that didn't work. Let's try it again. And again. Etc.

I am glad they are not. this cap crunch impacts every NFL team, not just the cowboys....in fact we were top 10 in cap room compared to other teams in the league...and still have a chance to create another 20+ in cap...

and given the state of this defense, I have argued that we shouldn't sign any FAs...let quinn put in his system. lets go through the draft, lets see what we need and where we stand next year and then we can get into signing a FA or two....again, I do not want any significant FA signings this year.