Twitter: Archer: Cowboys won't be looking at top free agents

Kingofholland

Reaction score
Not being in contention for the top players at each position doesn't surprise me at all. But doesn't mean there aren't players in the tier 2 space where upgrades are available. Also presuming most of the money will be taken by the tier 1 guys there's bound to be some better deals available.

It's rare a team lets a true tier 1 guy just hit the open market and rarely do those free agent contracts live up to the hype anyway.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I agree with what you're saying, but it seems like we're just epically bad at free agency.

Like I get they can't all be winners but last year's biggest success was an aging a back up QB who played about as well as we all though. Honorable mention to Aldon Smith who disappeared after the first 4-5 games, but I wouldn't even really mention him considering how much of a flyer he was.

McCoy an obvious bust that admittedly didn't cost us anything, same about Clinton-Dix, and Poe (Poe did cost us). Cam Erving who was benched week 1 for an UDFA was another bust. Griffen was okay I guess, but obviously traded mid season.

2019- Randall Cobb was ok, but was a down grade from Beasley and Hyder/Covington who gave us nothing. Robert Quinn was a good trade, however, considering he only cost us draft capital and no financial investment, I'd say he's a separate category.

2018- Allen Hurns; bust before the injury. Thompson a 4th or 5th safety until starting this year and getting benched for Wilson, Cameron Flemming/Marcus Martin, busts. Joe Thomas who is a decent 4th LB was the best of the group

2017- Nolan Carrol, Byron Bell, Stephen Paea, were horrible. Damontre Moore I'd compare to Thompson. Good 4th/5th DE. Jonathan Cooper was ok, but was a down grade from Ron Leary. May have been the right decision to move on, however, if your best signing was a guy replacing a departure and they aren't as good, that is part of how you go from 13-3 to 9-7.

I could go on and on, but we haven't really signed a guy that has had a noticeable impact on the team.
Amari Cooper

ICP

Reaction score
Lol, do they ever look at the top free agents? They are happy running the team as they have which usually gets us nowhere. Wait a minute, I mean always gets us nowhere

The Natural

Reaction score
No, they don't exist every year so there is no way he could knock them out of the park every year. I know you were being sarcastic but you were also revealing your ignorance by supposing a reality that does not exist.
Ok snowflake, since he cant do it every year tell us when has he ever done it. This should be good

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
Right now the starting team:
WR - Cooper, Lamb, Gallup
TE - Jarwin or Schultz
OT - Smith, Collins
OG - Martin, Williams or McGovern
C - Biadasz
RB - Zeke
QB - Dak

We could improve possibly at C and T depth. Otherwise we aren't spending money on offense.

DE - Lawrence, Gregory
DT - Hill, Gallimore
LB - Smith, LVE, ?
CB - Diggs, Brown, Robinson
S - Wilson, ?

Could definitely improve at DT, S, and LB and CB also. Maybe draft can fill two of these starting spots. So we need to target at least two decent free agents. Maybe not set the market, but above average starter.

There is no point to pay Dak what we have without going all in.

DallasInDC

Reaction score
Didn’t Archer predict the Cowboys would let Dak walk in free agency. The Cowboys have a plan and I actually trust the Joneses because nobody saw the Dak signing coming.

That's your first and second big mistake. First, Just because you have a plan doesn't make it a good one...2nd what reason have the joneses given you to trust them?

king987

Reaction score
I mean, this isn't shocking at all. Frustrating at times, yes. But I'd prefer focusing on the draft than just tossing FA dollars around.

I'm hoping the lowered cap will leave some good FAs taking lesser deals, maybe one year bargain deals. Maybe that's something Dallas can take advantage of. Then, focus on the draft from there.

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
I mean, this isn't shocking at all. Frustrating at times, yes. But I'd prefer focusing on the draft than just tossing FA dollars around.

I'm hoping the lowered cap will leave some good FAs taking lesser deals, maybe one year bargain deals. Maybe that's something Dallas can take advantage of. Then, focus on the draft from there.
We could do both, don't let this team off the hook in FA; you're not really and see the frustration point. We have left the team off the hook with "we like our guys" running joke around here but it's really stale at this point.

The draft might yield us a starter, 2 if we're lucky. That will take a long time to form a good D doing it at such a slow pace, etc. I see this focus the draft on D angle a lot, but don't see the transformation happening so quickly, we have to inject this D with some quality FAs.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Overpay your own and wait for bottom feeding players that have slim chance at succeeding at a high level so you can get them cheap. Stephen you are one slick dude.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Trade. After their grand plan at WR bombed, thanks for making the point
I thought the point was picking on the FO and their inability to acquire talent that they did not draft. Trade or FA, it's still the same FO making the deal.

The Natural

Reaction score
I thought the point was picking on the FO and their inability to acquire talent that they did not draft. Trade or FA, it's still the same FO making the deal.
This is your original post. Nothing about trading.
Stephen Jones has never approached FA looking to pay top dollar. There are diamonds in the rough and those are the FA players Stephen is looking for.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Right now the starting team:
WR - Cooper, Lamb, Gallup
TE - Jarwin or Schultz
OT - Smith, Collins
OG - Martin, Williams or McGovern
C - Biadasz
RB - Zeke
QB - Dak

DE - Lawrence, Gregory
DT - Hill, Gallimore
LB - Smith, LVE, ?
CB - Diggs, Brown, Robinson
S - Wilson, ?

It's going to be hard to beat that group. Even the question marks could start on other teams.