Archer: Jerry said, "you'll know it when you see it" regarding potential change to Romo

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
So you deny the fact that being down or tied in the 4th quarter and Romo leading drives 30 times in that scenario to win the game isn't clutch? Or that those instances have been smaller than when he threw costly interceptions?

Championships are what QB's are judged by, I agree. But that doesn't make it legit when ur playing a team sport.
He's been clutch just not in big games I'm sorry to say.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
great. now show me the stats for a 14 year veteran qb prone to bouts of greatness and frustrations who's not played a full game in over a year and is coming back from a broken back.

THEN we'll have a fair comparison.

roll that one up, stat man. :)

That requires giving him the starting job again, now doesn't it?

Thank you for arguing for the good side, even unintentionally. You're always good for that.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
What important game has he won to get us to and win the Super Bowl? I've got all night.
so i should name qbs who never won a bowl n you will say they always choke, that it?

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Baltimore. Pittsburgh. Green Bay. Philly. He led this team to wins we normally wouldn't get. Between him and Zeke. You wanna take away the fact he has had this team on his back. I can't help you. That's blatant ignorance.

Again, each and every one of those games, he had the support of a great WR, great O-line, great RB play - This is not "putting it on his shoulders" - it was a collective effort.

Stop with the exaggerating.

phildadon86

Reaction score
Again, each and every one of those games, he had the support of a great WR, great O-line, great RB play - This is not "putting it on his shoulders" - it was a collective effort.

Stop with the exaggerating.
Yeah you are right, Dak hasnt lead this team at all. Go fly a kite man. Funny that the guy you are dying to bring in has never had an 11 game win streak in his life.

Romotil45

Reaction score
So I have a hypothetical that this thread has triggered and would love some opinions...WHAT IF???

Dak plays extremely poorly (not wishing for this to make myself clear...just saying for sake of argument) in the next game or two and it leads to a switch to Romo per Jerry's statement...AND THEN, Tony leads us to a SB victory this year.

What happens next season?
  • Open competition and thus an all-out QB controversy?
  • Tony is the go forward starter until he retires (either via decision or is forced out due to injury)?
  • Does Tony just retire outright and ride off with his ring a la Peyton Manning?
  • Still look to trade Tony when he has max value and declare the future with Dak?
  • Other options?
Not saying what I think would be the scenario but want to know what others think?

Tony stays out his contract as the starter which is what will happen anyway. Dak is not ready you could see it all over Garrett face and voice inflection when the media asked about inserting Romo. Of course he said the right words but his heart was saying something else his voice had no conviction at all.

CrownCowboy

Reaction score
He's been clutch just not in big games I'm sorry to say.

So the game in Washington in 2013 where we were down in the 4th and he led us down the field with a herniated disk to hit Murray for a TD on 4th down and under a minute to play to win the game wasn't clutch? If we lost that game we would have been eliminated from the playoffs and wouldn't of had a shot to play the eagles at home the next week for the division. That wasn't a big game?

You all just love to talk about the few bad games, but rarely want to talk about the many more clutch big games he's had.

That's the big game in Washington nobody wants to bring up. It's the other one in Washington that people act like is all that ever happened.

I seem to remember the many cries that he was done after that game as well. Tony is too brittle, he's getting old. He'll never play at a high level again.

It was all kinds of wrong then. Forgive me if I don't take some of y'all's word for it this time either.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
great. now show me the stats for a 14 year veteran qb prone to bouts of greatness and frustrations who's not played a full game in over a year and is coming back from a broken back.

THEN we'll have a fair comparison.

roll that one up, stat man. :)
The most directly comparable stat for Romo (i.e., season with a good line and good running back) would be 2014 when he led the league in passer rating and was named All Pro.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Yeah you are right, Dak hasnt lead this team at all. Go fly a kite man. Funny that the guy you are dying to bring in has never had an 11 game win streak in his life.

And Alex Smith had an 11 game win streak just last season.

But stay on topic, champ. You stated he "put the team on his shoulders" - he didn't. That implies he did most, if not all, himself. Not even Romo had the team on his shoulders in 2014. I will repeat: This is easily the most QB friendly offense in the league.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
The most directly comparable stat for Romo (i.e., season with a good line and good running back) would be 2014 when he led the league in passer rating and was named All Pro.
heh, ok. im NOT anti romo so im bowing out of these discussions now as people are getting hellbent on being right.

for whatever thats worth in here.

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score
Jesus Christ Jerry makes it hard to be a Cowboys fan.

Jerry should just shut the hell up during the seasons when we're actually good. All he does is create unforced controversy.

Tio

Armchair QB
Reaction score
just seems like the "we want romo back now" people use any reason to reduce what dak has done and assume romo would have the same success.

no, romo never had zeke but dak never had a decade of experience.
But this year Tony would have zeke and a decade of experience. So he'd probably be better than Dak this year. When do we want to win a Super Bowl?

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
But this year Tony would have zeke and a decade of experience. So he'd probably be better than Dak this year. When do we want to win a Super Bowl?
considering ANY scenario is a "probably"…

phildadon86

Reaction score
And Alex Smith had an 11 game win streak just last season.

But stay on topic, champ. You stated he "put the team on his shoulders" - he didn't. That implies he did most, if not all, himself. Not even Romo had the team on his shoulders in 2014. I will repeat: This is easily the most QB friendly offense in the league.
No, putting a team on your shoulders is leading them to an 11 win season when your starting QB goes down as a rookie and commanding not only the huddle, but the press, and the veterans on this team that have bled with Romo for years. There is a lot more to "on his shoulders" then doing everything himself. You would know that if you ever played sport at any level. Not saying you havent, but judging from your comments you dont seem to understand leadership very well.

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
Love it. Jerry speaking on the issue yesterday...

"No. No. No. No. Not at all. Let me just say that."

And now, Jerry speaking on the subject all of 24 hours later...

On Tuesday, Jones called the quarterback debate a "legitimate discussion."

"I understand the question, but I don't want to get into the scenario. It goes too far into talking about what we don't want to talk about," Jones said, alluding to injury or poor play. "But given the need for [Romo], we want him ready on the spur of the moment to be a part of any effort we make ... to win the ballgames.

"And, so, it would be when we all probably thought it was time for him to come in and play. I don't want to give you those circumstances because I don't like either one of the discussions."

Yup, sure sounds like they're fully committed to Dak alright! LOL.

They've been watching the tape and practice they're not stupid.