Archer: Jerry said, "you'll know it when you see it" regarding potential change to Romo

SDCowboy

Reaction score
Why do people keep saying this? The entire offense did not look like garbage on Sunday. The line blocked very well, per usual. Zeke had almost 90 yards rushing in the first half. Other than Dez, I can't really fault any of the receivers.

The offense was shut down because the Giants stuffed the box, pressed our receivers, and dared Dak to beat them. He couldn't.

I understand the argument for sticking with Dak, and I actually favor giving him the start this week. But let's not distort the facts to make our arguments.
People keep saying it because it's true. The offense, minus Zeke, has looked terrible the last two weeks.

erod

Reaction score
well i don't think it's a dak issue. you don't do as well as he has and be the only one to choke.

play calling has changed
dez can't catch a cold and they are not on the same page
the OL doesn't seem to be protecting as well as they have in previous games. still good, but not *as good*.

i think these are things the coaches will need to improve and/or fix. i dont see dak as the sole reason we lost the last game.

just so strange to me we're 11-2 and people are so massively butt hurt. cowboys fans are some of the worst out there at times.

The playcalling is fine. Dak has to pull the damn trigger. The OL is giving him plenty of time. Again, Dak has to pull the damn trigger.

The NFL has figured him out. Load up on Zeke, zone out the middle of the field so Beasley can't hurt you there, make sure the left defensive end doesn't fall for the play-action bootleg, and keep Dak in the pocket. Cowboys solved.

Romo would laugh at these fronts. They're 70-yard touchdowns waiting to happen. Then, they'd have to back off, and Zeke would have room to roam. That's what the elite veterans do.

65fastback2plus2

Reaction score
making stuff up now? Romo is not getting his 1st team reps increased and frankly I don't remember him getting first team reps at all.

Jerry talking on the radio is bad for everything when it comes to the cowboys and always has been. Not a single good thing comes from it.

Because you dont read, I suppose

Garrett has adjusted the Cowboys’ practice schedule in Romo’s return with the veteran getting some work with the first-team offense during 11-on-11 action. In the past, the backup did not get any work with the starting offense, although this year Mark Sanchez had been getting one series of work each Friday.

http://www.espn.com/blog/dallas-cow...st-practice-schedule-with-tony-romo-as-backup

erod

Reaction score
People keep saying it because it's true. The offense, minus Zeke, has looked terrible the last two weeks.

Nonsense.

The playcalling is great. The offensive line has been incredible. Zeke is awesome. The receivers have been good to great.

The problem is the trigger man. The NFL has figured him out. They've taken away the bootlegs and loaded the box and middle of the field. He doesn't like going down the seam and he'd prefer crossing routes and slants rather than outside the numbers. Defenses are loading up the areas he likes to go.

It happens. He'll adjust in time. But that will require an offseason or two.

SDCowboy

Reaction score
Nonsense.

The playcalling is great. The offensive line has been incredible. Zeke is awesome. The receivers have been good to great.

The problem is the trigger man. The NFL has figured him out. They've taken away the bootlegs and loaded the box and middle of the field. He doesn't like going down the seam and he'd prefer crossing routes and slants rather than outside the numbers. Defenses are loading up the areas he likes to go.

It happens. He'll adjust in time. But that will require an offseason or two.
You're the first person I've seen call the playcalling lately as great. It's been abysmal.

65fastback2plus2

Reaction score
The playcalling is fine. Dak has to pull the damn trigger. The OL is giving him plenty of time. Again, Dak has to pull the damn trigger.

The NFL has figured him out. Load up on Zeke, zone out the middle of the field so Beasley can't hurt you there, make sure the left defensive end doesn't fall for the play-action bootleg, and keep Dak in the pocket. Cowboys solved.

Romo would laugh at these fronts. They're 70-yard touchdowns waiting to happen. Then, they'd have to back off, and Zeke would have room to roam. That's what the elite veterans do.

all. of. this.

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
I don't understand why anyone has to have an "agenda" when it comes to the QB question. I'm a huge Romo fan. I'm a huge Dak fan. I'm an even BIGGER Dallas Cowboy fan. I don't give two ***** who plays the position if we win the Super Bowl. I could care less. The issue is this. Dak has played very well this year. There is no doubt about that. He has struggled mightily the last two games. The offense in general has struggled. There is no doubt about that. I want Dak to start this coming weekend against Tampa. IF he struggles again and we lose due to an inept offense, I don't think there's any choice other than giving Romo a shot. That is in no way going to harm the team in the future. I want to capitalize on this season and try to do whatever it takes to win a damn Super Bowl. You cannot play your worst football at the end of the season heading into the playoffs. You just can't. This team is very talented, but it also has a fairly small margin for error. Pretty much every other team does as well as well when it comes to the playoffs. Every team from here on out is going to stack the box to stop our run game. We can still run on them to an extent, but you still have to have a good passing game to win, especially in the playoffs. We are not going to win any playoff games putting up 7-17 points on offense.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
I'm really annoyed with jerry. First he says romo will likely play a role in going to the Super bowl. Now it's talking about a possible qb change or whatever he is rambling about. Almost feels jj is wanting it to favor romo to come in for the playoffs.

He thinks with his heart not his head.

SDCowboy

Reaction score
How do you know? Linehan calls the plays. There are guys running different routes all over the field. Dak has to throw it to them. Linehan can't throw it for him.

Playcalling criticism is always weak.
How do I know, what? That the playcalling is bad? And what does Linehan calling the plays have to do with my point?

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score

"Dak's reps will not change"

They are just trying to find time to get romo some work because he has not played since august, sanchez had a full camp at least.

Romo is the backup and a play away he has to at least throw some or he will be completely awful.

Its pretty simple. Romo runs the scout team and whatever else they can give him with the time they have but all the time is spent getting dak ready for the game.

Your statement that they are giving him more reps and cutting into dak's preperation is 100 % false.

ROUSH8692

Reaction score
I don't think so. You don't pull a guy during a game for a lot of reasons:

Romo wouldn't have had starter snaps to prepare, and giving him those snaps before this game would be screwing Dak over. You can't e expect the guy to perform better if you are taking away his preparation time and giving it to someone else.

Dak deserves the entire game any time he starts. It's no fair to anyone if he's looking over his shoulder after every pass to see if Romo is warming up. We don't need him pressing and tight.

Dak has come on at the end of games before after a slow start. Pulling him after a few series, even if they are horrible, would be like pulling Romo at halftime in Buffalo in 07. You give the guy a chance to make some magic, he's earned it.

Pulling him in a game would be a panic move, and coaches don't ever want to look panicked. If there is a change it should be done professionally.

First of all Romo has been taking snaps with the 1's for weeks now.

We are on a playoff run.... So there is no time to be "fair" here as you call it. Didnt know that existed in the NFL..

BEST PLAYER AT THE POSITION PLAYS!!!!!!!!!

erod

Reaction score
How do I know, what? That the playcalling is bad? And what does Linehan calling the plays have to do with my point?

Every playcall can work if the QB makes the right decision and can put the ball on the receiver. When the QB can't do that, the run game gets stuffed.

Dak just can't execute what Linehan is calling because defensive coordinators have figured out how to defend Dak.

He'll figure it out, don't worry. But it won't be this year.

manster4ever

Reaction score
Romo has been taking some first team reps in practice every week since his return. They have been slowly increasing those 1st team reps every week. Dak can hear Romos legacy and he knows a vanilla game plan when he sees it. And Zeke coming off the field on third down ? He's not stupid he knows what's coming. Too bad, all they had to do was ask him to sit. Daks not as fragile as many are lead to believe. Too bad the coaching staff feels like they are backed into a corner and must throw Dak under the bus. You could blame the media. But the truth is it all fails squarely on Garrett.

Not ALL on Red....my gosh, he has his marching orders from JJ. He's the man who signs the checks.

erod

Reaction score
"Dak's reps will not change"

They are just trying to find time to get romo some work because he has not played since august, sanchez had a full camp at least.

Romo is the backup and a play away he has to at least throw some or he will be completely awful.

Its pretty simple. Romo runs the scout team and whatever else they can give him with the time they have but all the time is spent getting dak ready for the game.

Your statement that they are giving him more reps and cutting into dak's preperation is 100 % false.
Romo is destroying our defense in practice, so you know.

Dak isn't.

DenCWBY

Reaction score
Todd Archer reporting ..

On 105.3 The Fan in Dallas Tuesday, Cowboys owner and general manager Jerry Jones said "you'll know it when you see it," when talking about a potential change from Dak Prescott to Tony Romo down the stretch but he did not have a definitive scenario in which a move would be made.
Probably the smartest answer I've ever heard from Jerry. Don't get backed into a corner of commitment. Let this play out.