Twitter: Archer: Parsons top rated defensive player on board

Ken

Reaction score
Guys, Parsons is really talented.

The only real knock against Parsons was the positional value, but Parsons + a 3rd fixes that problem.

We did fine, we got better for years to come. Everyone wants to move on from our linebackers so don't scoff when we pick the highest potential one in the draft.

Don't forget that Lee just retired, LVE can't stay on the field, and Jaylon is Jaylon. We needed one.

Talent and need. What more do you want? You can prefer another player by your tastes but that doesn't make Parsons + a 3rd bad.
This...

All i hear is how our LB's are bad, our defense is bad blah blah blah.

We take a very talented, potentially difference-making LB, and those same people are not happy.

It boggles the mind.

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
Maybe I’m confused what your point is. To be honest. All I’m saying is. It’s not hard to believe the scouts viewed Parsons as the best D player in this draft.
Yes and you believe that when they were going to trade up for a lesser player in Horn or Surtain??

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Trading down 2 spots with your NFL East rival is not indicative of them A) expecting both Surtain and Horn to be gone and B) feeling Parsons was the BDPA.

If the rumors are true that New England offered 15 and Gillmore for 10 are true, and they had good intel that Horn & Surtain likely gone before 10, they absolutely should have made that trade. Good chance Parsons slides to 15 (Mac Jones at 10, Smith, Fields, Slater in some order for 11, 12, 13), and 14 is your only real concern for losing Parsons. I would have risked it.

MikeB80

Reaction score
wins or losses it would be fairly easy to take the top player on your board whenever you picked. This isn't exactly astrophysics they are discussing.

they say this all the time. These are the same people who said claiborne was the closest corner they have seen to deion. Every year its the same thing in the spring. everyone is amazing, they can never believe player x was available when they picked and of course the player x was the top player on our board.

yet this never correlates to actual winning. They just took a linebacker at 12 in the first round because the other first round linebacker who they couldn't believe was there a few years ago has a chronic neck issue just like his draft report said. They used a 2nd rounder pick on a guy with a serious injury who has never been right and has an ego maybe bigger than anyone who has ever played here.

So they have used a top 50 pick for the third time in 5 years to fill the same position. The first two had issues that ended up happening and now they have taken yet another guy with a questionable background. And to think they wouldn't resign a good player and a good person in anthony hitchens because they thought he couldn't stay healthy...now he is a super bowl champion.

so no its not astrophysics its basic math and the front office keeps failing the same test.

TheDude

McLovin
Reaction score
The pick itself is an A.

Letting the Eagles get DeVonta Smith stings but he was going to the Giants if we didn't so really whats the difference.

The real debate is whether we should we have made the Bears trade. Parsons and a 3 or pick 20, a 5th this year and a 1st and 4th next year.

Typically you stock 1st rounders. Dont want it, trade it for 2-3 the next year. However, I dont think Parsons would last to 20 (past Arizona or Wash)

Bigdog

Reaction score
This is fake news because I have it on good authority (liquor store clerk) that I was the highest rated player on their board. I am waiting for Jerry’s call, lol.

Yobwocs

Reaction score
Yes

But was he the best player we could've chosen? Nope.... Slater. Or Sewell but he was already off the board.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I’ll scoff.

So either he’s lying about where he was rated on their board or they were prepared to take one of the CBs, who Jerry admitted wouldn’t have been the top D player on their board.

How do you conclude that?

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Typically you stock 1st rounders. Dont want it, trade it for 2-3 the next year. However, I dont think Parsons would last to 20 (past Arizona or Wash)

Yeah no way would he still be there. I'd still take the 1st round pick though.

Kwyn

Reaction score
Either explanation doesn’t put Jerry in the best light.

Frankly I think they are spinning this. They are peeved the two CBs went and now they have to PR the heck out of the Parsons pick.
I think you are making wild guess assumptions.

Verdict

Reaction score
Well I did a scan of 10 different pre draft rankings and Parsons was by far the player most often listed as the top defensive player.
It really wasn't even close...he was top in 6 and next was only top 2-3 times.

Its not a big shock.
I just think Dallas wanted both corners more than him.
I don’t think they did. I think this board views it that way, but I don’t think the Cowboys viewed it that way at all.

Verdict

Reaction score
they say this all the time. These are the same people who said claiborne was the closest corner they have seen to deion. Every year its the same thing in the spring. everyone is amazing, they can never believe player x was available when they picked and of course the player x was the top player on our board.

yet this never correlates to actual winning. They just took a linebacker at 12 in the first round because the other first round linebacker who they couldn't believe was there a few years ago has a chronic neck issue just like his draft report said. They used a 2nd rounder pick on a guy with a serious injury who has never been right and has an ego maybe bigger than anyone who has ever played here.

So they have used a top 50 pick for the third time in 5 years to fill the same position. The first two had issues that ended up happening and now they have taken yet another guy with a questionable background. And to think they wouldn't resign a good player and a good person in anthony hitchens because they thought he couldn't stay healthy...now he is a super bowl champion.

so no its not astrophysics its basic math and the front office keeps failing the same test.
So you are saying you love the pick?