Twitter: Archer: Rico running with the ones

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
Ive been hard on Rico but if he can prove that he can go out here and make plays and earn that spot in all for it. I agree with TE is a weakness and I said it before that all 4 bring something to the table. None of them have really done anything in the league so if Rico shows out that's a good sign.......... Like someone posted earlier, in the huddle you might need to let him know his assignments on the play. Good luck Rico if you start this Sunday, show out and don't let this chance pass you by. Could be your last

ghst187

Reaction score
I have no idea what to think about Uncle Rico’s status on the roster...
Jerry says something then Archer ....
The one thing I think I think though about Uncle RICO is that of all the TEs on the roster he by far has the most POTENTIAL and highest ceiling which is why I’ve been rooting for him.
Swaim, Jarwin, Shultz are just guys, Rico could become abusive to defenses.
Don’t even know if he will make the roster but he’s had me intrigued since preseason last year with his flashes.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Exactly. You think the teams care if Gronk, Graham, Gates, Gonzalez, Kelce, etc are great blockers or not? Absolutely not. For one, those TEs make up for that with how they stretch the field and another, the slow, blocking TE are becoming a thing of the past.

That would be bad news for Rico, because those guys are significantly faster than Rico.

And Gronk can block, and NE cares that he can. It matters.

Escobar was a better route runner, great hands, and about as fast. But couldn't block. And so he struggles to remain in the league.

Rico is a slow TE with a large catch radius and good hands. If he gets to be a good blocker he's a valuable player, and particularly for us. If he can't block, he's a bigger Escobar who can't run routes.

Blocking is the key to Rico's career. It was for Escobar too.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
What was the previous two years?

Year 1 - His first year in football
Year 2 - Injured and then IRed

Rico should be further along, but the coaches share some responsibility for that. Management is a job too.

This year he seems to have gotten it that he needs to learn to block. I'd like him to be farther along, but he only has one accrued season. If he's showing progress, I'd stick with him.

Jeffkills

Reaction score
Hopefully, he blows up.

Last year, we would’ve kept him on the roster if not for the concussion, since he wouldn’t have cleared waivers..

I like the way he tuns upfield, and if he can plow downfield without getting hurt, then just run him in your O..

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I think we're all aware that the Cowboys aren't likely to cut a 4th round pick and that's what Dalton Schultz was in the 2018 NFL draft. As far as carrying 4 TEs, it remains to be seen if that occurs or not. It'd be a rare happening. Let's see how much action Rico will be allowed in the preseason games to come. It should, at least, provide a clue as to his chances of earning a roster spot. Other than that, the final cuts decide for real who stays and goes.

Last edited:

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I think almost everyone believes he has the required physical talent.

Part of deliberately making him 4th string in the 1st two games seemed to somewhat be a method of dealing with his over inflated opinion of himself.

Either that or coaches frustration of his refusal listen/follow their advice and work ethic. Get the impression it's the little things he's not taking seriously enough for the coaches. I know there's talk about his blocking but maybe that's not his cup of tea. Remember M Bennett saying when he was here it took him awhile to realize he was not many snaps as long Witten was on the team. So he spent extra time mastering his blocking skills to get extra snaps. That how/why he became one the better blocking TE in the game, all about attitude. My point, maybe they're trying to make him something he not. I mean if he can pull in 80-90 catches a season, do you really care about his blocking enough holding him back or shut him down?

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
I wonder if he'll write a song about this?

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
they usually let the guys that they are thinking about cutting to play with the starters near the end of preseason to see if they can magically make a turn around... "he better, I got his jersey!" lmao

Zimmy Lives

Reaction score
I'm pulling for him; he has the talent. I don't see him making it.

The other guys may not have his physical ability but they are 100% football players. I'm not sure Rico knows what he is.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Wow... The guy that can't block who can catch passes is running with the first team.... Unbelievable. You can actually play a Tight End who doesn't block at all because he's basically an extra receiver and make it work. You can do this Dallas.... 30 other teams do
30 other teams don't do it....its a fallacy of the rico fan club

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score

So, he was 4th string, then 3rd, now he's getting first team reps. Dude's got no shot.

Thank goodness.. This made my day.... Thank you coaches and front office people for at least giving this guy a real chance.