Are Cowboys a destination HC’s would want?

blueblood70

Reaction score
This is for fans only. You think those who work in the NFL are this enamored to work for the Cowboys? That luster faded a long time ago, even for fans. Lets say a guy highly sought after has multiple job offers and the Cowboys are one of them. They have to sell their edge like everyone else. Coaches aren't tripping over themselves just to be here. After Landry and Johnson some made those comparisons, but how can you realistically do that today? lol People aren't just in love with the logo and uniform with a dream to work for the Cowboys someday! Winning anywhere … is winning! And what does that mean when the Cowboys are usually sitting home these days? I guess it would be big, it's been 25 years!
Parcells came , Switzer sure a goofball but name..look if Jerry went after them they would come..why not we are playoff team with Talent, a nice top of the line stadium and practice facility's, all over TV, low state taxes, and cost of living and homes less expensive then most area in a Big market..most of all turn down 10mil a yr? Jerry has not gone after the big fish so no one knows if they would turn us down..i sincerely doubt it , lost the luster huh, still the highest rated sports rankings on tv and thats why regardless of our record, we have a lot of Prime time games..Stadiums packed every game, what luster was lost? Parody took down the league, salary cap created parody but the DC are as popular as ever for merchandise sales, tv market, and even those wanting to see us lose still makes us popular..

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Would you be the HCs in Dallas if given the oportunity ?
I would need to know the involvement of the owner and his son in the areas that I deem critical to success. And at this time, that is all speculation, we really do not know their involvement in the on the field prep and actual game.

There might be jobs that I would prefer over this one but this team has talent and as long as I thought I had a chance to contend, yes, I would coach in Dallas.

I think there is this error in thinking that every HC would be treated the same. Parcells wasn't treated differently just because of his contract, there was respect for what the man had done.

Garrett is in that position that Andy Reid was in his last season in PHL. Lurie loved him but he knew it was time. I don't think the TB boys disliked Dungy, it was time. I do think the Joneses fell it is time. Even though he brought them from 3-5, he did not deliver the prize. And the perception is that the teams better than the Cowboys are so because of coaching.

I also believe Booger really thinks Garrett will get multiple offers. Reid and Dungy had soft landings.

ItzKelz

Reaction score
This is for fans only. You think those who work in the NFL are this enamored to work for the Cowboys? That luster faded a long time ago, even for fans. Lets say a guy highly sought after has multiple job offers and the Cowboys are one of them. They have to sell their edge like everyone else. Coaches aren't tripping over themselves just to be here. After Landry and Johnson some made those comparisons, but how can you realistically do that today? lol People aren't just in love with the logo and uniform with a dream to work for the Cowboys someday! Winning anywhere … is winning! And what does that mean when the Cowboys are usually sitting home these days? I guess it would be big, it's been 25 years!
Bill Parcells came out of retirement to coach the Cowboys.

Big_D

Reaction score
Parcells came , Switzer sure a goofball but name..look if Jerry went after them they would come..why not we are playoff team with Talent, a nice top of the line stadium and practice facility's, all over TV, low state taxes, and cost of living and homes less expensive then most area in a Big market..most of all turn down 10mil a yr? Jerry has not gone after the big fish so no one knows if they would turn us down..i sincerely doubt it , lost the luster huh, still the highest rated sports rankings on tv and thats why regardless of our record, we have a lot of Prime time games..Stadiums packed every game, what luster was lost? Parody took down the league, salary cap created parody but the DC are as popular as ever for merchandise sales, tv market, and even those wanting to see us lose still makes us popular..

They would get a trophy every year if it was a popularity contest! That luster used to be about winning. That's the comparison to the Yanks and Lakers. Not popularity, jersey sales and packed stadiums. Yet they still don't win a dam thing! Sure, lets chalk it up to Parity!

Bill Parcells came out of retirement to coach the Cowboys.

I'm not saying no coach would come here, I'm saying the comparison to Yankees/Lakers type of lore as the reasoning behind their decision is very far fetched. But I do think they can attract a coach regardless of this thread.

ItzKelz

Reaction score
They would get a trophy every year if it was a popularity contest! That luster used to be about winning. That's the comparison to the Yanks and Lakers. Not popularity, jersey sales and packed stadiums. Yet they still don't win a dam thing! Sure, lets chalk it up to Parity!

I'm not saying no coach would come here, I'm saying the comparison to Yankees/Lakers type of lore as the reasoning behind their decision is very far fetched. But I do think they can attract a coach regardless of this thread.
Bill Parcell's came out of retirement to become coach of the Dallas Cowboys......The Tuna

blueblood70

Reaction score

what have the Yankees and Lakers done of late? what big name coach do they have as a very fair weather baseball and basketball fan I couldn't name eithers coach except for the fact that they lost Magic, have LeBron, had coach using his dads name and they havent been to the playoffs in what 5years.. the Yankees have a lot of talent once again but its been quite while since they've done anything special and since I cant name their coach, is he big time? seems to me its overrated.. was Mcvay a big find, not before only now he was untested unknow commodity ? Pederson? Nagy? kitchens? bringing over losing college coach in Kingsberry for the cards after failed no name coach got1yr and fired? recycled Gase? who else and I missing all the big time names being hired? the trend is the opposite trying to find the next big young gun offensive genius or defensive guru off another tree..

name the super coaches out there getting jobs? really Jerry was trying to do the same, a misstep is Parcells fault for not warning Jerry he might leave abruptly and IMO jerry would have hired Peyton if there had been plan, instead Bill jut ups and quits the next year after we lose Peyton..

When the time comes and Jerry actually goes after a coach, he will get whomever he sets his mind too and they wont turn him down..the reason I mentioned about the Star in my earlier comment is why they would come here and deal with Jerry whom IMO isnt the old jerry and he can work with others..its not like Grarett has been total failure and Jerry was hoping he would turn the corner because changing coaches all the time isnt a great plan either, although id had like to have seen that change after 2015.. bottom line If Jerry wants someone he will go get them and im sure the compensation and our current talent level is enough to get his man..

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I would need to know the involvement of the owner and his son in the areas that I deem critical to success. And at this time, that is all speculation, we really do not know their involvement in the on the field prep and actual game.

There might be jobs that I would prefer over this one but this team has talent and as long as I thought I had a chance to contend, yes, I would coach in Dallas.

I think there is this error in thinking that every HC would be treated the same. Parcells wasn't treated differently just because of his contract, there was respect for what the man had done.

Garrett is in that position that Andy Reid was in his last season in PHL. Lurie loved him but he knew it was time. I don't think the TB boys disliked Dungy, it was time. I do think the Joneses fell it is time. Even though he brought them from 3-5, he did not deliver the prize. And the perception is that the teams better than the Cowboys are so because of coaching.

I also believe Booger really thinks Garrett will get multiple offers. Reid and Dungy had soft landings.
That perception might be on this forum . And our Football Idiots at least present that in public which is hard to say whether that’s to lead the fans and or media on or they actually buy into it?

The bigger problem though is who would Jerry pursue or better yet who would be willing to come here that we’d think actually would get us over the top.

Or are we that desperate to roll the dice and possibly take a step back with a lesser Puppet ?

TwentyOne

Reaction score

After following this franchise now for around 30 years i think - even if i dont know the Joneses personally - i have a good understanding of how both work. A little less of course of Stephen just because he just started to stand in the public.

To me i couldnt work with JJ. Not because he is a authoritarian owner, someone who likes to be in charge of things. The problem i would have with this guy is his limited mindset.

JJ had his most success in the oil Business. He thinks the reason of his success stems from his risky approach. That shaped his character fundamentally. Now IMO, that he had success didnt come from taking risks. If he feels like he did - which i dont deny - its just false Interpretation. You can have success by taking risk - of course. But having a sustained one ? Taking risks again and again leads to failure and not to success. That is common knowledge. If you still have success by doing so that is pure luck and not a good rational approach.

But that is something he IMO will never understand. Whats more: he will never accept. It will be an ongoing fight with him to handle this side of him. And for that i wouldnt have the strength to do so.

It seems like Garrett has it. And i raise my hat to him for having the strength to do so. I would need a surrounding - and especially the persons who are in charge - at least to share the most fundamental mindsets with me for being successfull. Else this would be a fight every day. And i dont want that. My talent, knowledge and time would be more precious to me then to convince someone of the way it is supposed to be done. In the most basic points of a strategy you must coincide.

Now Stephen is another story. He seems to have that RAH RAH mentallity like his father too. And he isnt the brightest one also. But he seems to be lacking that risk taking mentallity. And whats more he doesnt seem be have that authoritaritan "i have to control everything" mindset. He likes to be in the spotlight like his dad, but he can step aside when it comes to really important decissions. I could handle that.

This franchises is successfull again since Garrett came here and Stephen more and more handles business. SJ is able to give power away to people who actually know how to handle specific things. And he seems to listen to them when it comes to the decission making process.

I think i could work with SJ but with JJ that would be only a waste of energy.

I think you make a mistake here. This team has talent. But it is talent that was build by another HC. Your job doesnt end with taking over a talented team and be successfull. That is what Wade Phillips did.

The question about being a coach here is the surrounding given by the FO. Do you want to be a HC in Dallas with this FO ? Do you want to work with those people given your values, your goals ? Everybody else is exchangeable by your power and so shouldnt be factored into the equation. Thats also how i understand the OP question. Being a HC here doesnt end after one season. Do you want to coach here for years with these kind of people being in charge ? Do you think you can achieve your goals with those people ?

Of course i do think every person as a HC will be treated differently. But then everyone will get meassured by the same values. By those FO values. And has to bend to their way of running the franchise. Because they didnt change.

Last edited:

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Working as a manager I would say no self respecting coach would come to this organization. The Jones' will micro manage and chop your legs out from under you if they disagree with anything you are trying to accomplish. Whether it be interactions with a player, or different schemes. If you coach the cowboys just know you are a neutered dog for the duration.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
What head coach with any self-respect would put his reputation on the line without having total control. I think that's the big question for me. Other than a new startup someone willing to make a name for himself. I don't want a fired leftover NFL coach that the league already scrutinized. That's for sure

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
One thing I think we're overlooking here is the level on involvement of the Joneses, which is unknown, and the fact this is not isolated.

Harbaugh left SF because of a feud with the GM, Parcells left because of the same thing and Belichick refused the Jets deal and went with NE because of the promise to run his own show because the man still had scars from CLE. Few HC's really run their own show and the experiments with having HC's also serve as GM's was a failure. Only one guy has made that work.

When Parcells came to Dallas, he knew exactly why Booger needed a name HC and wanted him and he forced him to back off and let him run the show. No HC will ever approach that level of control and any interested in the job know that.

But I think we would be surprised at the number and names of HC's that would be interested because it's 5-6M+ a year for a 4 year deal and look at the recycling of HC's in the NFL. As far as a coach's reputation, all of the ex DAL HC's got gigs after being fired or leaving DAL. And there is an advantage here. Any HC is working directly for the involved owners, no GM middle man.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
One thing I think we're overlooking here is the level on involvement of the Joneses, which is unknown, and the fact this is not isolated.

Harbaugh left SF because of a feud with the GM, Parcells left because of the same thing and Belichick refused the Jets deal and went with NE because of the promise to run his own show because the man still had scars from CLE. Few HC's really run their own show and the experiments with having HC's also serve as GM's was a failure. Only one guy has made that work.

When Parcells came to Dallas, he knew exactly why Booger needed a name HC and wanted him and he forced him to back off and let him run the show. No HC will ever approach that level of control and any interested in the job know that.

But I think we would be surprised at the number and names of HC's that would be interested because it's 5-6M+ a year for a 4 year deal and look at the recycling of HC's in the NFL. As far as a coach's reputation, all of the ex DAL HC's got gigs after being fired or leaving DAL. And there is an advantage here. Any HC is working directly for the involved owners, no GM middle man.

Only Jimmy Johnson received a HC job in NFL after being fired or leaving under Jerry.

Chan Gailey did in Buffalo only after an extended stint at Georgia Tech.

Switzer, Campo, Parcells and Phillips were never HC again. Wade of course went back to a DC and Bill a short stint in Miami as VP.

Last edited:

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Only Jimmy Johnson received a HC job in NFL after being fired or leaving under Jerry. Chan Gailey did in Buffalo only after a long stint at Georgia Tech. Switzer, Campo, Parcells and Phillips were never HC again.
And Jimmie Johnson had total control.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
And Jimmie Johnson had total control.
He had more control than any HC since.

Jerry deserves some credit providing Jimmy the tools. But that wasn’t enough for Jerry.

Bottom line is there’s not enough room in Big D for an ego bigger than Jerrys which most great HC won’t want to contend with.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
If anyone won now in Dallas they would be immortalized with the fan base but would they receive the credit they would at other franchises?

And does anyone really expect a HC to have the ultimate success here in this situation? That’s really the bigger question?
the right coach could, they would just have to know how to manipulate the jones boys, and know how to use the talent they have at hand.
And not try to implement a specific scheme.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
the right coach could, they would just have to know how to manipulate the jones boys, and know how to use the talent they have at hand.
And not try to implement a specific scheme.
Interesting ,“ not try to implement a specific scheme”. Please expand on this thought . I’m curious.

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Interesting ,“ not try to implement a specific scheme”. Please expand on this thought . I’m curious.
We cleaned out the entire backfield. We have some press Corners some man-to-man Corners some Zone corners. It was a disaster back there. No where drafting to fit a scheme. So I'm not sure what this person is trying to say either. Manipulate the Jones boys yeah right. If Parcells couldn't do it who can.

jsb357

Reaction score
there is a lot of cash involved

but Jerry is on record saying anyone can go over the coaches head and talk to him
"the door to his office is open to any player at any time" was the quote

and then you have to take a back seat when critical personnel decisions are being made

and if you start garnering too much media attention as the guy who built the team
you'll be replaced by a Switzer

dcowboysfan76

Reaction score
We are the most popular and wealthiest franchise on the planet with a storybook history. In the first 30 years we went to more Super Bowls and won more playoff games than any team in league history.

What’s transpired since though has left this franchise in a most unusual situation and potential insurmountable obstacle. Winning another championship with an owner in the front office and meddling coaching staff determined to gain most of the credit as face of the franchise.

And why even if the owner didn’t dangle puppetry strings not only with his Son but coaching staff intent on gaining credit for building a championship team he didn’t earlier would the Cowboys be an attractive destination unless you couldn’t land a job elsewhere?

The Cowboys have basically been a dead end job for any HC since Jimmy left. Only Chan Gailey ever coached again in NFL after needing to revive his career in college ranks.

Do all fans realize the severity of our situation and limitations on potential prospects as long as there’s only room for one ego in Big D?
Depends on if the coach is an introvert or an extrovert:grin: