Are Cowboys a destination HC’s would want?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
You must be real fun at parties.
Of course. This is where you begin the snide remarks and personal insults. Im not taking the bait sir.

Im not one who places much hope in the unknown. My expectations come from prior history and recent results. I usually don’t believe in something until I’ve seen it meet its goals.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Of course. This is where you begin the snide remarks and personal insults. Im not taking the bait sir.

Im not one who places much hope in the unknown. My expectations come from prior history and recent results. I usually don’t believe in something until I’ve seen it meet its goals.
My point stands. There are so many positive things to look forward to it's hard to debate against it. Dwelling on the past is useless, regardless of your feelings. And, every year is a completely new year.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If we have a good season next year, Witten or Lee will be groomed to be the next head coach, which means we will probably be stuck with Garrett for a few more years. If we have a bad season I think Jerry goes after Lincoln Riley with a boatload of money, and Jerry has a big boat. He needs to make a splash before letting Stephen take over.

ItzKelz

Reaction score
If anyone won now in Dallas they would be immortalized with the fan base but would they receive the credit they would at other franchises?

And does anyone really expect a HC to have the ultimate success here in this situation? That’s really the bigger question?
You only make the point stronger for what it would mean for a HC or a QB to win in Dallas.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
My point stands. There are so many positive things to look forward to it's hard to debate against it. Dwelling on the past is useless, regardless of your feelings. And, every year is a completely new year.
My point and this thread is about how our ownership limits our prospects for a greater front office and coaching staff which would lead me to have more hope moving forward and is a key ingredient why we haven’t had more success this era.

Hardline

Reaction score
Absolutely not
No self respecting coach would even consider coming here knowing their hands would be tied behind their back and be micro managed by the FO.

Now a low level assistant might take it but a top tier coach won't.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
You only make the point stronger for what it would mean for a HC or a QB to win in Dallas.
The Cowboys ownership doesn’t place any limitations on talent which is our best hope moving forward.

I’ve argued for years we are a talent dependent team without a stronger front office and coaching staff which has placed some handicaps on our success which is the basis of this thread .

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
This threads intention isn’t to take away a fans hope but to place the responsibility and expectations in a more realistic context.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
It's tough to say for sure if coaches outside of Texas would be attracted to coaching this team. Much would depend upon the individual and what their impressions lead them to believe. The fact that Dallas is now showing itself to be rising in the ranks of the NFL winners might be enough to encourage some promising young college coaches to seriously consider the Cowboys as their destination. Each aspiring head coach has his own ideas.

Whether highly successful NFL coaches would share that attraction is somewhat debatable, however. Jerry's reputation for compromising his HC's authority is well documented. Since Stephen has now taken over much of JJ's former duties, it remains to be seen if that might affect their attraction in a positive manner. Be that as it may, it seems Garrett will be duty bound to prove he's capable of better performance in 2019. We shall see.

Last edited:

Outlaw Heroes

Reaction score
There's no question that the organizational structure will give some HCs pause about taking the job in Dallas. We won't attract another Parcells. I think the problem is mitigated because what this team really needs is more technical coaching. The coaching staff (at least on the offensive side) has been a bit weak in terms of Xs and Os. Kellen Moore may be the solution. We'll see.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Absolutely not
No self respecting coach would even consider coming here knowing their hands would be tied behind their back and be micro managed by the FO.

Now a low level assistant might take it but a top tier coach won't.
Absolutely!!

What are the effects to our franchise as a result and how does it impact our expectations?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
It tough to say for sure if coaches outside of Texas would be attracted to coaching this team. Much would depend upon the individual and what they're impressions lead them to believe. The fact that Dallas is now showing itself to be rising in the ranks of the NFL winners might be enough to encourage some promising young college coaches to seriously consider the Cowboys as their destination.

Whether highly successful NFL coaches would share that attraction is somewhat debatable, however. Jerry's reputation for compromising his HC's authority is well documented, although, since Stephen has taken over much of his former duties, it likely remains to be seen if that might affect their attraction in a positive manner. Be that as it may, it appears Garrett will be duty bound to prove he's capable of greater performance in 2019. We'll see.
You believe that Jerry is willing to give up his pursuit to prove he was right ? And let a proven HC come in and swoop the credit away from him?

ItzKelz

Reaction score
The Cowboys ownership doesn’t place any limitations on talent which is our best hope moving forward.

I’ve argued for years we are a talent dependent team without a stronger front office and coaching staff which has placed some handicaps on our success which is the basis of ghosts thread .
You continue to make great points for why a HC or a QB would be forever immortalized if they win a SB in Dallas.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
You believe that Jerry is willing to give up his pursuit to prove he was right ? And let a proven HC come in and swoop the credit away from him?

I'd say it remains to be seen if Jerry wants to win as badly as he says or if he's determined to rule the roost, come what may. We'll see.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
You continue to make great points for why a HC or a QB would be forever immortalized if they win a SB in Dallas.
Yes, if either or can overcome this dysfunctional organization they should be placed on a higher pedestal than previous successes.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I'd say it remains to be seen if Jerry wants to win as badly as he says or if he's determined to rule the roost, come what may. We'll see about that.
Yes , we will see.

I don’t have any hope Jerry is willing to relinquish that control especially as close as he thinks he is.

I believe he’s only interested in winning his way. He tried winning championships with a HC who received more credit and didn’t like it.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You can choose to focus on the distant past, but it will get you nowhere and is a borderline sign of depression. It will never change, but feel free to whine for 2 decades.
If you choose to focus on only the future, which hasn't happened that's anxiety.

Do yourself and everyone here a favor and look at the present. It's the most current, up to date example of the "situation."

This post should be a sticky!
:thumbup:

Reactions: G2

ItzKelz

Reaction score
Yes, if either or can overcome this dysfunctional organization they should be placed on a higher pedestal than previous successes.
Would it be considered dysfunction if a HC wins under this current organizational structure?