Are Cowboys a destination HC’s would want?

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It all depends on the coach in question. They have to be able to work with Jerry.

The better question is ‘can an available different coach be more successful in Dallas given the constraints of ownership here.’ And that’s a more difficult question to answer.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Really?
I thought it was another thread to whine about the FO and Jerry.
I describe it as criticism. “ whining” is a childish description. Not accepting reality though is short sighted IMO.

I feel occasionally a reminder is in order when I see threads or discussions which appear to dismiss our core issues. I appreciate you adding to the discussion.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
My point and this thread is about how our ownership limits our prospects for a greater front office and coaching staff which would lead me to have more hope moving forward and is a key ingredient why we haven’t had more success this era.
Disagree. The Prescott era has been successful and there is no reason to assume it won't get better. We've drafted very well, been smart in FA and have made coaching changes.

It's not coy. You don't have to illustrate your thread intent. Everyone is WELL aware of your opinion. Constant reminders are not needed.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Disagree. The Prescott era has been successful and there is no reason to assume it won't get better. We've drafted very well, been smart in FA and have made coaching changes.

It's not coy. You don't have to illustrate your thread intent. Everyone is WELL aware of your opinion. Constant reminders are not needed.

No more successful than the Romo era.

There’s always the possibility new members , etc haven’t been exposed or seen my opinions. For those that have I appreciate you adding to the discussion and post counts.

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
It all depends on the coach in question. They have to be able to work with Jerry.

The better question is ‘can an available different coach be more successful in Dallas given the constraints of ownership here.’ And that’s a more difficult question to answer.
Yep

A question no one else here has attempted to adresss. Thanks

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I describe it as criticism. “ whining” is a childish description. Not accepting reality though is short sighted IMO.

I feel occasionally a reminder is in order when I see threads or discussions which appear to dismiss our core issues. I appreciate you adding to the discussion.

I don't think anyone needs constant reminders of the lack of SB's or NFCCG's from this organization.
Yes there has been way too many mistakes. Yes Jerry keeping Garrett around way to long takes it's toll.

But as was posted, look at the last 3 years, and even for the Dak, Jerry, Jason haters, the record shows the arrow is point up, and at an angle of 66.7 degrees.
Did you think in the years after the triplets were all gone, even after Irvin retired and Troy was slowing down. That it would just continue winning without rebuilding first. Then after Parcels quit, though he had a big part in rebuilding the team, they had something going but it fell apart in Wade's last year.

So it has really been since then. But then again, Jason had to get rid of a lot of overpaid, aging, underperforming players first. Blame that on Jerry and his bad deals. And yes, he also made many coaching mistakes. So have some of the better NFL coaches.

But recently, can't say they are dysfunctional, other than some goof ups here and there, as many teams do so.
Look at the last 3 years, then decide if you want to "criticize". As for whining being a childish description, is that not what many post come across as. There is no criticism about it, as to me it needs to be constructive, but often it is not. And I mean that in general, not pointed at you.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I don't think anyone needs constant reminders of the lack of SB's or NFCCG's from this organization.
Yes there has been way too many mistakes. Yes Jerry keeping Garrett around way to long takes it's toll.

But as was posted, look at the last 3 years, and even for the Dak, Jerry, Jason haters, the record shows the arrow is point up, and at an angle of 66.7 degrees.
Did you think in the years after the triplets were all gone, even after Irvin retired and Troy was slowing down. That it would just continue winning without rebuilding first. Then after Parcels quit, though he had a big part in rebuilding the team, they had something going but it fell apart in Wade's last year.

So it has really been since then. But then again, Jason had to get rid of a lot of overpaid, aging, underperforming players first. Blame that on Jerry and his bad deals. And yes, he also made many coaching mistakes. So have some of the better NFL coaches.

But recently, can't say they are dysfunctional, other than some goof ups here and there, as many teams do so.
Look at the last 3 years, then decide if you want to "criticize". As for whining being a childish description, is that not what many post come across as. There is no criticism about it, as to me it needs to be constructive, but often it is not. And I mean that in general, not pointed at you.
I appreciate your point of view. But you’re not addressing my key point here which has little to do with your comments here.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
We are the most popular and wealthiest franchise on the planet with a storybook history. In the first 30 years we went to more Super Bowls and won more playoff games than any team in league history.

What’s transpired since though has left this franchise in a most unusual situation and potential insurmountable obstacle. Winning another championship with an owner in the front office and meddling coaching staff determined to gain most of the credit as face of the franchise.

And why even if the owner didn’t dangle puppetry strings not only with his Son but coaching staff intent on gaining credit for building a championship team he didn’t earlier would the Cowboys be an attractive destination unless you couldn’t land a job elsewhere?

The Cowboys have basically been a dead end job for any HC since Jimmy left. Only Chan Gailey ever coached again in NFL after needing to revive his career in college ranks.

Do all fans realize the severity of our situation and limitations on potential prospects as long as there’s only room for one ego in Big D?

There are only 32 NFL head coaching jobs available in the NFL so yeah, someone would always want it. I see your point, though. Some of our fans think Jerry can get any coach he wants, even one currently holding an NFL position, which gets back to the delusional thing again. Proven NFL HC's who are accustomed to having control would quickly tire of the dysfunction in Dallas. We saw it with Parcells and "the player" after Jerry went out and got someone the Tuna didn't want.

So Jerry went to Wade, who was desperate for another chance to be a HC. Then we got Garrett, who turned down the Ravens to land his dream job. Jerry's been so proud of this hire he continues to give JG one opportunity after another to prove him right. Both of them were/are willing to operate under the Joneses' thumbs, including hiring assistant coaches for them.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
There are only 32 NFL head coaching jobs available in the NFL so yeah, someone would always want it. I see your point, though. Some of our fans think Jerry can get any coach he wants, even one currently holding an NFL position, which gets back to the delusional thing again. Proven NFL HC's who are accustomed to having control would quickly tire of the dysfunction in Dallas. We saw it with Parcells and "the player" after Jerry went out and got someone the Tuna didn't want.

So Jerry went to Wade, who was desperate for another chance to be a HC. Then we got Garrett, who turned down the Ravens to land his dream job. Jerry's been so proud of this hire he continues to give JG one opportunity after another to prove him right. Both of them were/are willing to operate under the Joneses' thumbs, including hiring assistant coaches for them.
Well said!!

erod

Reaction score
We are the most popular and wealthiest franchise on the planet with a storybook history. In the first 30 years we went to more Super Bowls and won more playoff games than any team in league history.

What’s transpired since though has left this franchise in a most unusual situation and potential insurmountable obstacle. Winning another championship with an owner in the front office and meddling coaching staff determined to gain most of the credit as face of the franchise.

And why even if the owner didn’t dangle puppetry strings not only with his Son but coaching staff intent on gaining credit for building a championship team he didn’t earlier would the Cowboys be an attractive destination unless you couldn’t land a job elsewhere?

The Cowboys have basically been a dead end job for any HC since Jimmy left. Only Chan Gailey ever coached again in NFL after needing to revive his career in college ranks.

Do all fans realize the severity of our situation and limitations on potential prospects as long as there’s only room for one ego in Big D?

Yes and not, but not like Cowboys fans think.

There are only 32 of these gigs, so most coaches don't have the luxury of picking and choosing where they want to go. Egos always win over, and the chance to be a "head coach" is one that is never turned down by young up-and-comers. Likewise, most guys that have been head coaches before won't accept coordinator positions unless they absolutely need a job.

I see it like this. Any defensive-oriented coach would love to be the head coach here. They are going to welcome the run-and-play-defense mentality of how this roster is built for the long haul. However, the offensive guru type of coach is going to look elsewhere. You can't run dynamic passing schemes without dynamic passers, which are very hard to come by. If Dak is sitting on a monster contract by next offseason, how many coaches will want to drastically cut down their playbook to complement the things Dak does well and eliminate the things he does not.

Yes, then there's the Jerry factor. Easier for a defensive coach to circumvent than an offensive coach, who would have to cater to Jerry's fantasy-football tendencies.

The ONLY offensive-minded head coach that I think could work with Dak (at least, temporarily) would be Lincoln Riley. So much of his offense is built on quick throws. However, he also loves deep shots down the middle and deep crossing routes, and that would have to be put on the backburner.

As such, the best option is likely going to be Kris Richard. The Cowboys need to build a defensive mindset and try to win a championship in the style of Seattle, Baltimore, Tampa, or Pittsburgh in recent years.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Yes , we will see.

I don’t have any hope Jerry is willing to relinquish that control especially as close as he thinks he is.

I believe he’s only interested in winning his way. He tried winning championships with a HC who received more credit and didn’t like it.

I'll put it this way -- Jerry's ego demands that he continues to be a winner at this juncture. I think JG would have to have a losing season before he's dismissed. Now, if the Cowboys were to finish with a record of 8-8 and JJ stood pat, he'd be proven deceitful for wanting to see better performance from JG. Would his ego allow him to suffer such a disgrace or would he choose to make excuses for JG and thereby allow the public to think he lied about his intentions? I'd venture to say it's quite possibly a tossup where that's concerned. In that case, he'd best keep his word and seek another HC but we'll see.

Last edited:

yimyammer

Reaction score
There will always be a whiff of desperation in any coach willing to come to Dallas as long as jeri & likely his spawn are owners

silvrNblue

Reaction score
:facepalm: more on a subject that's been tossed about more then a single call girl at a frat party.....EVERY one knows this team is about Jeruh Jones, nothing more. It's that simple, Jimmy stole his ego when HE took credit, and rightfully so for the 90's team. This horse has been beat so much the hair is gone.

visionary

Reaction score

Good question but I presume this is a rhetorical question because the answer has been obvious to any thinking person and that is

NO

Only a spineless jellyfish who bends over just so he can make money, like Garrett, can work here

Though I've been assured by CZ homers over the years that dallas is a great destination that all coaches would give their right nut to get

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
Context is important. There are only 32 nfl head coaching positions in the world. So if you told me I could continue as the prestigious QB coach of the LA Rams or take over the entire abysmal Bengals franchise... sure I’d be a bengal. And that’s exactly what the LA Rams QB coach did.

All 32 are valuable in some sense.

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
No competent HC worth his salt would want to work under a meddling owner like Jerry........which is why there has only been one since Jimmy was here.

yimyammer

Reaction score
It is what it is. I’m not proud of it but as always calling it like I see it.

That's fine but just remember, you're "dumb" when your opinion doesn't align with fragile fans who quake at anything that could be considered critical and don't you dare bring up old truths. You keep that up and the fan police will be knocking on your door to revoke your fan card.

I fear for you

I will endeavor to tote the party line

Heil!

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Oh, I can give about 6 million reasons a year why the majority of coaches would take it. Another would be an entry level into the NFL from college. Another would be a spotlight seeking father and son act that would limit the number of press conferences the HC has to do, I don't think I have ever seen one enjoy it. And the Dallas Cowboys brand is still strong to some.

But look at it this way. If Garrett can get 5 job offers, which I think is high but I do believe he'd get a couple, then is he being held to blame for not getting a ring or are there another mitigating factors to consider? No team in any sport has this father/son media act that overshadows the team outside of in season play

Now if this were back when Booger was actually considering drafting Manziel or being all about the sexy picks and stars, might have some shy away but they've addressed needs through both the draft and FA. A HC cares about the talent he is given to get the job done.

The single biggest hindrance for a strong HC would be a front office hiring his coaches because they've proven they're not good at that. That's why Parcells demanded total control, including the scouts. There are teams that help their HC like AZ and LAR because they're young and inexperienced but most let a HC pick out his own rope to climb or swing by.

The red flag of all flags to proud and strong HC's was when Garrett had to embarrass himself over that Linehan situation. But then, that would depend on what other offers a candidate had. The majority of these guys are just like the rest of us and need a job. Look at the incestuous recycling within the league.